Point Blank... mandatory class before range use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The one I've been to does so I would imagine that one will as well. It's only a few minutes long and you watch it right there at the range counter.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If there is any wait at all just speak up and have them turn on the video. That way you'll have seen it all while waiting in line. Surprisingly, the test is in essay format and not multiple choice but it is pretty easy. Just kidding, there isn't a test.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I shot there last month and didn't have to watch a video or take a test. Maybe because I was with someone who had been there before, or they took one look at me and thought "damn, this guy looks like he knows what he is doing."? :dunno:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yes, but it's only for the first time you shoot there and it's less than 3 minutes long. Once you're in the system you don't have to watch it again.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I shot there last month and didn't have to watch a video or take a test. Maybe because I was with someone who had been there before, or they took one look at me and thought "damn, this guy looks like he knows what he is doing."? :dunno:

The wife and I had date night at point blank last fall. No video, I think they asked what we were shooting. When we said 1911 they just let us in. :laugh: OK Mrs. VERT looks like a professional, she knows more about range safety then the on staff ROs.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Yes, but it's only for the first time you shoot there and it's less than 3 minutes long. Once you're in the system you don't have to watch it again.

My wife was wanting to know. She didn't like that when we went to Tim's they sent her into the room alone with a strange guy (other shooter) to watch it (I had seen it). It's now a condition of her going to the range, along with no range officers yelling orders or second guessing her weapon choice (also at Tim's). She's kinda funny like that; she only trusts me and doesn't want anyone else interfering, criticizing, or distracting her. (I'm paraphrasing but that's her words)

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We had to at the Greenwood location the first time. It wasn't in a separate room though. Just off to the side of the counter.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    And by the time they get a first-timer entered into the system, the video will be over, so you don't waste a lot of time on it.

Considering some of the behavior I've seen while waiting in line, and the NDs that have occurred at PB, I wouldn't object to having first timers go through a real safety briefing.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    More likely they were afraid of getting curb stomped if they tried. :):

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Nice Range

I was at the Greenwood shop for the first time yesterday and had to watch the short video. Everyone there was very polite. Also found out that they have give you $3 off from 11 to 2 during the week and seniors get $3 off all day on Monday. 1/2 hour only

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    And by the time they get a first-timer entered into the system, the video will be over, so you don't waste a lot of time on it.

Considering some of the behavior I've seen while waiting in line, and the NDs that have occurred at PB, I wouldn't object to having first timers go through a real safety briefing.
    I thought all of the shooting in the showroom had been by staff.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My wife and I shot at Point Blank in Greenwood for the first time in February. We didn't have to watch a video. The second time I went there alone and there was a couple in front of me checking in for the first time. Once checked in, they were directed to the tv to watch a short video. I thought it was a good idea, but also thought it was strange we weren't asked to watch it.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Speaking of point blank, did anyone realize they are building one in merrillville? It is right off of i-65 just south of 30. If you are familiar with the industrial buildings off of Mississippi St., it is being built right there. It will be nice to have another range in this area.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Speaking of point blank, did anyone realize they are building one in merrillville? It is right off of i-65 just south of 30. If you are familiar with the industrial buildings off of Mississippi St., it is being built right there. It will be nice to have another range in this area.

Yep, sheepdog, we're anxiously awaiting. There's a thread about it somewhere. I think it's supposed to be open by summer? I live in Crown Point, so it will be great to have a range so close.

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    I am excited to see the new one in crown point. I never been to a point blank. Are they nice? Blythes is a drive and debs is a hole in the wall. I usually just go to JP.

Top Bottom