Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AR Upper Receiver Lapping Tool

Does anyone have one of these that I can borrow? Preferable around NWI, but if we can flat rate ship it I'd be willing to pay the $10 round trip. If you have a bit of compound (220 should do) that would be a great bonus. Looking to square up a couple of receivers in my safe, but don't think I need my own.

PTG Upper Receiver Lapping Tool AR-15

Not trying to change your mind on anything, but if you ask me its a waste of time.

Leo
    Master
    Never even heard of anyone doing that process.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Never even heard of anyone doing that process.

X2
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

The idea came into play after a lengthy thread on 6.5 Grendel and several PMs between myself and another respected member there. Will a non squared receiver outshoot my ability? Probably, but I have invested in several higher end components for this build, including a Lilja barrel so figured if I could borrow one of these to make sure the receiver face is squared, why not?

Link to the thread.
    Longevity, Accuracy Tips for the AR15

Very interesting concept. I will add to the x3 that I have never heard of this process before. If you would, please post up your results with some pics so we can have a look see!! Good luck.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
    -Thomas Paine

Member of:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    National Association for Gun Rights
    NRA Life Member

Lapping the receiver would be pointless unless you trued up the locking lugs on the rear of the bolt and in the barrel extension, and also trued the bolt face. Even then I'm not so sure it'd really do anything beneficial. I'd also be concerned with removing too much of the hard anodizing an expose the soft aluminum underneath.
    NFAddict

If possible do before, and after groups with the same ammo. I doubt it helps accuracy, but ive never used one, so I really dont know.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

These were things that one of the other members suggested might be beneficial, and things that he does to his rifles as well as builds he does for other people.

* Lapping upper receiver face to true.

* Lapping bolt to barrel extension lugs (this creates an even distribution of the pressure load from the lugs to the extension)

* Complete bolt work-over, polish face, de-edge extractor shelf, de-edge extractor, de-edge lugs if necessary, polish extension in critical quadrant.
    Again, don't know how much of this would be beneficial to me because my skills are minimal right now, but like I said....wanted to try and start somewhere. He also said that some companies square their receiver faces before anodizing and some are usually pretty close to square. Brands like AA do it before, and Aero Precision (what I have) are usually pretty square. Billet manufacturers are always square from his exp as well. (again, just going off what he said)

lapping the bolt to the extension lugs might be the only thing in that post worth a damn.

There are so many other things going on that as long as the receiver face is close to true your fine. the bolt is not solid with the bolt carrier and there is flex there. So even if the face of your receiver is not perfectly square as long as its not HORRIBLE, the bolt will compensate on its own. and as long as while compensating it has even contact all the way around it wont matter in the least.

as for the last bullet point. that's a bunch of fancy talk. Find a piece of 600 grit paper, use something flat, paint stirrer or a file, or something similar and just go over anywhere on the bolt that's 90 degrees to anything else.

There really is something to consider about taking off the hardest part of your receiver and exposing the soft aluminum under it. I really don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast