• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Went to BGF today and as usual, had a great time.....until I fired a round off our of my AR, cycled normally, from what I could tell, pulled trigger...click. Tap, Pull...crap... can't pull the bolt back. Count my rounds in the magazine...6 left. I think there's a hot one in the chamber.
    image.jpg

Bolt turns ever so slightly when I pull back on it but seizes at the point in the pic.
    Anyone know a good AR gunsmith or a way to pry that dog out?

Thanks.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Slam the butt into the ground while pulling back on the charging handle.

Fix or stop using that ammo.
    This!

I had this issue with some handloads a year or so ago. Turns out that my seating die didn't like being seated in my press where Lee recommended, and every once in a while, it would push the neck in, just enough to mushroom the shoulder. I backed out the seating die a half a turn, and cranked in the seater to compensate. Haven't had issue ever since.

Once you get the round out, measure it, and see if that's what is out of spec.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    First thing I would do is (intelligently) drop a cleaning rod down the barrel and confirm/deny the presence of a live round in your chamber. If you do have a live 'un, and the buttslam method doesn't work, the next method would be taking the barrel off. IIRC the only special tool you need is a barrel wrench, which wouldn't be a bad tool to have around. Now you have an excuse to justify it!

If your chamber is empty or on a fired brass, you could use an appropriately-sized drill rod and a non-BFH hammer to tap on the bolt face to loosen it up a little from the front end. From your picture it looks like your lugs are clearing the barrel extension and may just need a small amount of persuasion...

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    What ammo were you using?
    New Rem.223
    Damage to ejected brass?
    None! I'd gone through almost 100 rd's when this happened and I picked up all of the brass. No issues.

I'll let you all know after work today what happens!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Have you shot steel in it before? That is usually when the issue happens. Brass ammo doesn't follow steel very well. Clean the crap out of the chamber. I use a 45cal brush.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had an issue like this with a DPMS 308. I had to collapse the butt stock and give it a couple "taps" while pulling on the charging handle. I think in my case it was a slightly tight chamber due to some packing oil that worked itself out after I scrubbed the heck out of the chamber.

Just curious, but what make/model of AR-15 is this? Is it new with a low round count?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What's the reasoning behind this? I've never heard that before

Steel ammo is coated with a rust preventative. The preventive coats the chamber. For what ever reason brass sticks to it very well. People that shoot steel all the time seem to only have issues when they try brass. Some chambers don't like steel at all. IE one of my RRA's. My Double Star would jam after steel if I did not scrub the bore. I gave up on steel. Your mileage may vary. Shoot it if you can or want. I avoid it like the plague.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Oh, And I am not the only one to have this issue. If you search you'll find others. I think it's fairly common.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If slamming the buttstock doesn't do the trick (it usually does), take a long flat blade screwdriver, and insert through the mag well and align the blade so it rests flat on the bolt carrier (there is a small shoulder that you should be able to place it against). Very gently apply pressure using the magwell as the fulcrum. You will also want to pull back on the CH at the same time, so this is sort of a 3 handed operation. I usually place the butt on the ground with the barrel pointing up and away from me (and everything else I don't want to hit) as much as I can, with the magwell facing towards me and slightly to my right. This allows me to pry with the right hand and pull with the left. You may need to increase pressure, but don't try to pop the screwdriver, as it could pop it free and result in some scratches to your bolt carrier and or magwell.

While not ideal, this is easier (and I'd say safer) than trying to remove the barrel to get out the live round.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    So... "Slamming the butt into the ground" didn't seem to help. I took a brake alignment tool and pried the BCG from inside the mag well and that did the trick.

image.jpg

Oh, Its a spikes tactical 1:7 5.56. Round count is well over 1000

I'm still not sure why it locked up. I have used steel cased ammo in this rifle but its been quite a while. For those of you who don't know me I am still a Jarhead at heart and clean my weapons thoroughly after every firing, even if I only fire 6 rounds, I'm cleaning it. I don't think I've had anything build up in the chamber as I use mil spec bore cleaner and CLP liberally along with a bore brush the get between and under the "star".

Regardless, the round has a significant dent in it and the tip of the round has a nice gouge in it. I put it in a case gauge and it slips right in. I also re-chambered it by hand with no issues.

I'm going to the range again this week and will give it another try.
    Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well that's your problem, quit babying your AR. Just shoot it and lube it :)

Seriously though, glad you got the round out without having to take your barrel off.

Still seriously though, just shoot it and lube it :)

Even with that crater in the casing, what's the case measure at the shoulder? Is there any marks on the brass from where it got stuck?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If the tip of the round had a gouge I wonder if the oal was to long and it hit as it was chambering? Although I don't know how that would play in to the round getting stuck in the chamber unless it bent the neck of the brass. Interesting thing to ponder.

I might add I clean my guns just like you. Well most of the time :-)

Top Bottom