• Poll closed .

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The party was a success! Please check for pics and video's near the end of the thread.

Hello all. The ideal of a AK build party has came up in another thread. I though it best not to jack that thread. I have a Polish AKM 80% that needs rails spot welded and the rivets done. Is there any interests in a build party? And the $64 question. Does anyone have a spot with the proper stuff? I will gladly chip in for any cost. I have no experience with the AK but I learn fast. I have all the AR tools including jigs for 80% builds I know the Sten guns like the back of my hand. I am glad to trade guidance for guidance?

If all else fails I will try to put a build party together up here. I'll buy what I don't have to do the builds. Once again guidance would be a plus but I'd wing it if need be. I'll do my own first.

What say you? Want a build party in NWI or within a reasonable distance? I am flexible.

Thanks all!

LY
    Update: It looks like we are a go for the weekend of the August 16th! :rockwoot:Hopefully we will do another thread with highlights from the party.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    My in-laws live in south bend, so justifying a trip up N is pretty easy! Just say when and i'll do what I can. I got the feeling that some of the AK guru's on this board were around indy area, but hopefully there are a few up north. I have two 74 kits that need headspaced. Hopefully this thing happens!
    Maybe if there is food we can lure people out of their houses... :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have friend that own a BBQ join so I can make food happen :-). I have access to a arbor press. I know you have some tools. The big issue is my garage is a mess :-( I need to clean it out. I think I am going to buy a Harbor Freight spot welder and modify it. We will see how the response goes. I'd like to do a AR build party too. I'd love to do a Sten party as well but that seems to be a limited interest gun. There only seems to be a few of us interested in those. I have a few PPS43's too.

I am having surgery at the end of the month. I can do something after I heal from that. Let's see what happens.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome! It's a start. It's a drive for me but that's ok. Indy is center of the state so that might be appealing to a few more. Do you have any kits to be built?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Nope no kits. I'd have to buy those. I've wanted to do this for a while. Always have wanted a sten too if you decide to do a stem build. I drooled all over your sten build thread a while back.
    i may go ahead and buy a press but it would be a month before I could do it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Sten is a fun build. If you are interested in one I'd get it soon. They are getting harder to find. I wish I'd have picked up another MK5 when Apex had them. Indianapolis Ordnance has a great semi auto kit. It's not a bad build. I need to weld my Mk3. I am waiting on my buddy to get his tig setup going. The mig was a little over kill. If it doesn't happen soon I'll mig this one too.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    PPS43's are close enough to my KP44 kits that is be down for that too! Let's knock some kits out! Though that might be a tad ambitious for right now.....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    PPS43's are close enough to my KP44 kits that is be down for that too! Let's knock some kits out! Though that might be a tad ambitious for right now.....

Yes they are! I have a lead on a drop in trigger group. I have a plan to modify the bolt. I found a really cool setup that uses a AR15 firing pin. You just need to drill the bolt and press in a liner that holds it. And it's cheap to buy. Drilling the bolt is the hard part. It needs annealed first. I'll share all the info with you on where to get the firing pin liner. It's 15-20 dollars less the firing pin. I can probably drill your bolt for you if you want and I am happy with the way mine comes out.

I have though about selling my 2 PPS43 kits but I should keep them. I was lucky and scored a barrel with one. I bought the flats. I have the round stock that I need make the bending jig. I need a piece of 1.5 inch square stock for the other half of the jig. I can make my jig universal. If you give me the thickness of your metal I'll compensate for it in my jig. I haven't turned my round bar yet so I can do that.

Talk about getting off track.. Ak to KP/PPS lol. It's all good!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    We did this once before and were able to gather enough members to have 4 presses, several rivet jigs, a flat bending jig, and a modified spot welder for the rails! There's a thread around here somewhere with all the details.

EDIT: HERE.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I would be glad to help if close to indy. Was at last build party can help with pressing barrel pins in and out. And setting head space.

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I would be in for an AK or sten build. I only have the tools to assemble ARs so I might just be a willing student. I have an uzi 80% finished. It is about hardest project I have tackled. So my skills are obviously elementary. (I did not modify the bolt I used a Mckay bolt.) I have a Galil kit but I would buy a Ak kit and receiver to participate. I have been contemplating a MK V sten build for a while. Either one is awesome. I could bring food, beverages, and a couple tables. I love the history contained in these weapons. Thanks for drumming up interest.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We seem to have some interest and a possible place. We need some experienced builders to join it. I have 6 or 7 Sten kits. I have one under my belt. It's not a bad build. I have a AK kit and a couple PPS43's to build. I am new to those.

Anyone with experience with building AK's want to jump in and share your knowledge? You will be rewarded with free food and beverage's. Maybe some time in July we could arrange this.

Start list:

Experience AK Builder's to guide:

1 -
    2 -
    3 -

Builders
    1 - 1911ly
    2 -
    3 -

--------Future builds--------

Sten builders:

Experienced Sten builders to guide:

1 - 1911ly
    2 -

1 -1911ly
    2 -
    3 -

Experience KP-43 and PPS43 builders to guide.

1 -
    2 -
    3 -

Builders
    1-1911ly
    2-
    3-

Please add your name to the appropriate list and repost. Thanks!

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I've hosted quite a few 1919 build parties in the past and have had people from as far away as California, Florida and New York attend, at one I think we had close to 75 people show up. Besides 1919's people were building AK's and such, it helped that I have a full machine shop on site.

The one thing I can tell you is hosting one is a lot of work and expense( I furnished BBQ for lunch ) and takes lots of time and energy, about the only problem I ever had was someone spraying brake cleaner to close to the park tank and starting a fire, the next year he came back with starting fluid but that was taken before he blew the place up.

Whoever you get to host it be sure to drop a few $$$ into a can to help offset the expenses you don't see for hosting one, it never hurts to bring some snacks or a trinket or two for the host or his wife, while build parties are fun they are a lot of work and expense and the host has opened himself to a bunch of strangers for the most part.

JMTCW

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'd be happy to help again. I've built about a dozen AKs including the 5 or so at the last AK party. I have a 12 ton press and the HF spot welder for the rails.

The building at MCFG worked well for us last time. The party would need to be in the Marion Co or donut areas for me to attend.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've hosted quite a few 1919 build parties in the past and have had people from as far away as California, Florida and New York attend, at one I think we had close to 75 people show up. Besides 1919's people were building AK's and such, it helped that I have a full machine shop on site.

The one thing I can tell you is hosting one is a lot of work and expense( I furnished BBQ for lunch ) and takes lots of time and energy, about the only problem I ever had was someone spraying brake cleaner to close to the park tank and starting a fire, the next year he came back with starting fluid but that was taken before he blew the place up.

Whoever you get to host it be sure to drop a few $$$ into a can to help offset the expenses you don't see for hosting one, it never hurts to bring some snacks or a trinket or two for the host or his wife, while build parties are fun they are a lot of work and expense and the host has opened himself to a bunch of strangers for the most part.

JMTCW

Money is not an issue. I'll pay for the whole thing. NP, I am not a zillionair but I am not poor. I am not going to saddle someone with the cost of my hair brained ideal. I don't have any plans to mess with chemicals. I'd just like to bend flats, drill hole's, spot weld rails, head space barrels fit parts and help people with assembly. Your presents and knowledge would be valued.

I have no doubt I can build my own AK. But I'd like to gain some knowledge from someone that's done it. I am sure there are others that want to assemble their kits too. Or some that will be inspired to get a kit.

I'd be happy to help again. I've built about a dozen AKs including the 5 or so at the last AK party. I have a 12 ton press and the HF spot welder for the rails.

The building at MCFG worked well for us last time. The party would need to be in the Marion Co or donut areas for me to attend.

You are the man! Someone with tools and experience! Thank you. Triggertime had volunteered some space and tools. There are a few that have expressed an interest in attending. I'll go back threw the post and put an updated list in a bit.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Definitely contact Clay and Vitamin K. Clay has a lot of tools too and a 20 ton press for those REALLY stuck barrels. DoggyDaddy and Psode also might want to join.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Definitely contact Clay and Vitamin K. Clay has a lot of tools too and a 20 ton press for those REALLY stuck barrels. DoggyDaddy and Psode also might want to join.

Psode's expressed serious interest. He has several projects to work on. Hopefully Clay, VitaminK and DoggyDaddy will chime in. I hate to pester anyone but I will if I have to :-) lol.

I see one party pooper in the poll. Lol. I am going to read the thread Chezuki posted. I am glad he posted it. Thanks Chezuki!

Top Bottom