• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Got some steel in and am going to be making some cannons and wondered if there was any interest. I have 5" dia by 24" and 6" dia by 36" steel bar I'm going to turn them out of, was thinking golf ball size for the 5" and water bottle size for the 6" material.

I thought I'd ask just in case someone had a sketch or drawing of something they would like, haven't set a price yet but for reference the 6" material at speedy metals is over $500 just for the steel with no work done. These are solid steel, not cast and not welded( except for the trunnions, pocket machined and welded in place).

Just testing the waters.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I love cannons and mortars. I have a pop can and a golf ball. Freakforge made both for me . Sent him a PM. I can give e you my dimentions if you want.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    .30calmachinegunner has been making cannons a long time. I remember a golf ball cannon he made better than 30 years ago. I'm sure he has improved the process over the years.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    ​here's a few I made recently, open to making what you want.

IMG] [/IMG]
    imagejpg4.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    imagejpg1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's awesome! What size is the bores and or what are you shooting out of them? You might PM me prices?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Very nice work!

If I ever win the lottery, I want a confederate brass mortar. Love the way those ring when they are fired.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a old lodge and Shipley in another part with a 8 1/2 foot bed, you think that's big I am making 2 cannons only that are 10" dia by 48" long, the piece of steel is 1050# before I start! Punching a hole in one is probably the most time consuming part, it would be much easier to use round stock with the hole already in it and just plug the breech end but it wouldn't be near as strong.

most of the cannons built by people use a steel liner inside a cast iron outer which simplifies things but isn't anywhere near as strong

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Oh you are reminding me of the big golf ball bore "flower vase" i helped a instructor machine. 5.5" dia. and 48" long boy was that fun to bore...not! but turning the outside profile was really enjoyable.

You do some amazing work!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    This thread reminds me of my mini's game, Johnny Reb. I would love a 12 pound Napoleon, 10 pound Parrett or breech Whitworth...but way too expensive and no place to put it.

Top Bottom