• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    My Father-in-Law has an old Colt .380 patterned after a 1911. He told me today that for some reason the safety won't engage with a round chambered unless you pull back on the slide a little bit, then you can lift it up. Externally there is nothing interfering the safety's operation, so the issue seems to be internal. He said that he's only ever put about 40 rounds through it. He's wanting to know of a local Gunsmith that is very good at working with 1911's to take a look at it. If anyone has experience with this that might be able to help it'd be welcome.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    My Father-in-Law has an old Colt .380 patterned after a 1911. He told me today that for some reason the safety won't engage with a round chambered unless you pull back on the slide a little bit, then you can lift it up. Externally there is nothing interfering the safety's operation, so the issue seems to be internal. He said that he's only ever put about 40 rounds through it. He's wanting to know of a local Gunsmith that is very good at working with 1911's to take a look at it. If anyone has experience with this that might be able to help it'd be welcome.

Something is keeping the slide from going all the way forward. The slide, frame and barrel need a detail strip and cleaning but first headspace MUST BE checked. The safety plunger and/or disconnector could be gunked up with crud too and need a good cleaning. You can see the parts diagram here... page7b click Colt MKIV series 80 .380 or if his is a Mustang use the Mustang link.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I've inspected the firearm and it's clean. The slide goes all the way forward, it's almost like it's going just a hair too far forward almost. I'll print off that manual and see if he'll let me look at it again. Thanks for the link!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you was closer i would look at it for you as i have rebuild/built 4 Government models.....when the safety is engaged it blocks the hammer from moving and when you pull the slide back your moving the hammer down allowing the safety to engage....sounds to me as the dent spring is pushing the safety out causing it to hang on the hammer.....i couple cuts with a file would probably take care of it.....

btw is it Government model or a Mustang?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    if you was closer i would look at it for you as i have rebuild/built 4 Government models.....when the safety is engaged it blocks the hammer from moving and when you pull the slide back your moving the hammer down allowing the safety to engage....sounds to me as the dent spring is pushing the safety out causing it to hang on the hammer.....i couple cuts with a file would probably take care of it.....

btw is it Government model or a Mustang?
    With the safety engaged on ANY 1911 govt or copy would not the safety be upward in the notch of the slide and therefore there would be no movement whatsoever of the hammer nor the slide?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom