• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm leaning towards Cerakote, going by what I read. That said, can anyone explain what the differences are in the various coatings? I've heard some aren't much better than spray paint, and some are great. I want a nice looking gun, so color choices are great, but am really looking for the most rust protection I can get. Think, "truck gun".

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Cerakote, Alumahyde, Molycoat, Duracoat, they're all slightly different and intended for different uses. I've had good results with Duracoat and it's an easy setup with a spraybrush and small air compressor.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I did my last HD shotgun and a 10/22 with duracoat. They have a shake and spray kit that I used. I was very happy with it. I might try cerakote next time I coat something, though.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Durakote is about as strong as Krylon high temp enamel. If you want a truly good firearm coating that will hold up to some extreme wear, you have to go Cerakote

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Hey Brett, thanks for the info! Do you use air-cure? I know the bake-cure is stronger, but if I can avoid stinking the house up and incurring big wrath from the little lady, all the better...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hey Brett, thanks for the info! Do you use air-cure? I know the bake-cure is stronger, but if I can avoid stinking the house up and incurring big wrath from the little lady, all the better...

I can't attest to cerakote but I do KG gunkote (a bake-on that is typically regarded as the next best thing to cerakote). It does have a little odor, but it's not that bad. When I do a coating job I just wait until I have a day off and my wife has to work. I spray & bake in the morning and by the time my wife gets home in the evening she doesn't even notice the smell, even if I tell her I baked a gun in the oven...

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

I actually got a stove for the shop, for free I might add. If you go on Craigslist, sometimes you can find an old one that no one will buy that works great for a shop. I will say, however, that there is an odor that it gives off when it is cooking.

"It's a formidable aroma. Stings the nostrils."

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Thanks for the info guys. I does seem to be the consensus of the board that cerakote is the most durable. I will probably go that route. Not worried about any odor as I'll have it done.

pike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    sounthern
    I just had a slide sprayed with gunkote and I am very happy so far I don't have any experience with any other brands but gunkote is tough. I carry a Kel Tec p11 with the belt clip so the slide is in contact with me all the time and no rust after carrying all summer.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Just received my third Cerakote finished revolver. I really love a rust blue finish but the durability of Cerakote on a using gun can't be beat.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    has anyone tried the hydro dip process I have seen some pretty neat patterns but i have been wondering how something that appears to be so easy to put on could be very durable

Top Bottom