• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ive had an itch lately for an H&R .357 for sole purpose of shooting suppressed .38's through it. My only concern is the the lug on the barrel will not fit in my spindle bore on my lathe. The spindle on lathe has a 2" bore, but I still dont think itll be big enough. I know H&Rs have been threaded, as I have seen them online, but im not sure of the best way to do it while keeping the threads concentric. Ive never threaded between centers, and Im not sure if Id trust it.

Has anyone here done one before?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    You can dial in the barrel through your bore with as much of the barrel though the spindle as you can get, and have the rest hanging out if it doesn't wobble so much as to cause an issue. I turned down and threaded a Mosin barrel just fine.

Ideally, you'd use a cat on the outboard side of your spindle to clamp the barrel down, but you may be able to get on without. Have a pic of what you're trying to thread? And what lathe are you running?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I have a spider for the back of the spindle, but if I do it, I want to cut the barrel to 16". So it wouldn't reach out the back. My lathe is a 14x40 Precision Matthews.

and no I don't have a picture. Don't have the gun yet either. Waiting to find out if I can thread it. It'd just be a standard Handi-rifle.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thread between centers It will be fine. only problem i see is recrowning the barrel after you cut it.
    ideally you need a square crown on it after you shorten it but before you thread it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Do you have a mill? Do as Allen said and thread between centers but you can face the barrel on the mill and then lap a crown. Most guys freak out when i tell them that but i have done just that and the gun went on to win a couple shoots.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Do you have a mill? Do as Allen said and thread between centers but you can face the barrel on the mill and then lap a crown. Most guys freak out when i tell them that but i have done just that and the gun went on to win a couple shoots.

I don't have a mill yet, but that's not a bad idea.

Allen, thanks, but no thanks, a small part of me was looking for a reason not to have to buy one.

Top Bottom