• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Took my recently-acquired Rossi .357 snubby to the range for the first time the other day. I experienced frequent times when, after firing, the gun would not allow me to either pull the trigger DA-style or cock the hammer manually. I had to open the cylinder and replace, turning the next round into place. This happened with both factory .38s and .357 Mag reloads.

I really like this gun and want it to function reliably. Any suggestions?

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    The gun, itself was made back approx. 1996. The individual I bought it from (still in its original box) bought it at a gun show some years back and just kept it in his closet; not sure if it had ever been fired until now. Would Rossi still service it after all this time?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    No. Dry-firing the thing shows no hang-ups whatsoever; cocking the hammer, trigger pull--the entire mechanism is silky smooth. Except when it suddenly isn't budging at all.

What Squirt really wants to know is of you look at the barrel (forcing cone end) is if you can see a gap between it and the cylinder. There should be a gap. He is trying to point out a place that might catch. Listen to him carefully. He knows what he's doing (gunsmith)! And doesn't might helping us out with great advice.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Sorry--didn't understand what I was supposed to be examining.

Empty cylinder shows plenty of daylight. I then inserted empty cases into the cylinder and looked again. While any visible light had vanished, I was still able to cock and release the hammer for a full revolution.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am confused. the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone should not change. Loaded or unloaded. The gap is Squirt is talking about it where the piece of paper is in this pic.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Some times if the barrel and cylinder gap is really close, and with allot of shooting which heats up and expands the cylinder and barrel it will start to rub. Does it lock up when cold?
    It could have a carbon ring build up in the cylinder from shooting 38 spl. in it and a longer .357 may cause the base of the case to drag on the frame.

that's my :twocents:

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I was looking at the back end of the cylinder at first. I need to learn my revolver anatomy terminology.

So it's possible heat expansion is the culprit? It has not locked up when cold, only after I had first run a couple loads of .38s then switched to mags.

I did have to clean a lot of carbon when I got it home later.

Top Bottom