• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Need help with my Mini 14; I had some work done.

Well, I had some work done, supposedly to smooth out the trigger of my Mini 14 a while back.

Not sure why, but the hack I allowed to touch my favorite tiny rifle also touched some of the rear parts of the seer. I do not want to have this little treasure of mine act like a full auto, randomly.

Now, it is NOT acting like full auto, but there are times, with very careful trigger release, it fires again as you release the trigger. I can create this same instance with the entire trigger assembly removed and in my own hands. I feel that this scenario creates a danger that I no longer want to ignore.

This is my own fault for allowing an incompetent hack to touch my beauty.

Is there a gunsmith out there who can actually replace this piece, without affecting the rest of the trigger action or in some way correct or repair this anomaly????

Either that or totally replace what ever it takes to make it safe again and then re-work the trigger release to keep it crisp and smooth without having the damn thing firing again as you release the trigger?

I have been worried to post this, due to the fact that I do not own a licence for any sort of full auto weapon, but mine, in its compromised condition is right there.

Any help?

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Wow!! Bad situation, Now only is it now dangerous it is illegal. The trigger mech is not that hard to work on. Get it out of the gun and leave it out. There are legal issues at this point. A gun can't fire more then once per trigger pull. If you need help getting it out go to youtube.

I'd guess he took to much off the face of the hammer hooks. It's a double hook design. If the space between the to hooks is increase to far it will cause this issue. I'd replace the hammer and sear with a good after market or just go back to a new stock assembly. It is a DYI project if you are mechanically inclined. There are some youtube how to video's.

This guy ruined your hammer and maybe your sear. If this is a shop? I'd go back and make them make it right! Please post back on your results! Hope you can get the guy to many it right

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    "Now, it is NOT acting like full auto, but there are times, with very careful trigger release, it fires again as you release the trigger."

Yes it is considered a machinegun since it fires MORE THAN 1 round per pull of the trigger. Granted that it is not a controlled auto but it sure is illegal. Dont let ANYONE mess with the trigger/hammer/sear if they cant prove they know what they are doing.

At the very minimum "you" should replace all modified parts with new whether it be factory or aftermarket. You can get both factory and aftermarket parts from midway and brownells.

Keep the rifle put up until new parts have arrived. Keep quiet and dont let anyone else know about it except for a GUNSMITH.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You should be able to ship the trigger assembly back to Ruger and they will put it it back to factory specs. No questions asked. No legality problems. There is no need to send the entire rifle.

I absolutely despise kitchen table gunsmiths.

And Youtube trained gunsmiths.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You should be able to ship the trigger assembly back to Ruger and they will put it it back to factory specs. No questions asked. No legality problems. There is no need to send the entire rifle.

I absolutely despise kitchen table gunsmiths.

And Youtube trained gunsmiths.

Youtube is pretty much just good for assemble and disassemble. And even they you need to watch a half dozen videos to sort the BS from reality. Youtube trigger jobs = scary.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Nothing lost by contacting Ruger customer service. Worst they can say is "Can't help you".

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ruger wont touch that modified rifle with a 10ft poll...and technically it is an illegal rifle to possess at this point let alone ship across state lines, even to the manufacturer.

There are plenty of guns that are returned to the manuf. when they go auto, and the companies are more than happy to fix it for both the customer's benefit plus their reputation.

All he has to do is tell them that every once in a great while a second round will discharge when the trigger is being reset, I guarantee that Ruger will e-mail a shipping label over the same day to fix the issue.

Or look around for a lot better gunsmith to repair and work on the trigger group.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Only illegal if that was the intent, and you're making no effort to fix it. Your statement makes this a simple malfunction. The "hack" probably removed too much material or left a rounded edge that it's skipping off of on reset. Probably should just put some OEM trigger parts in and throw those away, or buy an aftermarket kit.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    There are plenty of guns that are returned to the manuf. when they go auto, and the companies are more than happy to fix it for both the customer's benefit plus their reputation.

All he has to do is tell them that every once in a great while a second round will discharge when the trigger is being reset, I guarantee that Ruger will e-mail a shipping label over the same day to fix the issue.

Or look around for a lot better gunsmith to repair and work on the trigger group.
    And what do you think Ruger is gonna do when they receive said rifle and see some knucklehead has been grinding on the trigger, hammer, sear? Ill tell you what they are gonna do. They are gonna stick him with full retail price replacement parts and Ruger shop labor to fix it. Which do you think is going to be cheaper? Ruger or buying factory parts on "his own" or taking it to a gunsmith to repair? Ruger aint gonna be the cheapest!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Call Ruger and see what they'd charge. Worth a shot (pun not intended).
    Or call Accuracy Systems

Gunsmith Services Custom Finishes Trigger Job Re Flute Bed Action Crown Barrel Turn Outside Diameter Correct Head Space

A "real gunsmith" should charge $60 an hr or maybe more. Plus shipping.
    You're asking him to fix what you didn't send to him originally...........as with most repairs, he has to take you at your word, on the problem and extent of previous work.
    Should there be mistakes in communication and or facts left out..............he could be stuck taking it back in again.

He is there to fix guns, but also make money. Time is money.

If he has the parts and will just swap them out and put it back to stock it might be a fast and reasonable priced job.
    Somebody may be able to do it locally as well.

Call around.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah, the OP would be the first to send a botched trigger job rig back to Ruger.
    Customer service................my guess is that they'll either tell him no go or do it for cheap.
    There may be an upgrade issue his vintage may fall under and the swap of parts done for free.

I'd just be up front with what happened and not try to BS about it.

Being honest, in today's world that might bring a pleasant event of correction.

Don't plan on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't go down that way :)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP - if this was a bona-fide Gunsmith that you had to do the work...

Please post their information here so that others can be made aware.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    And what do you think Ruger is gonna do when they receive said rifle and see some knucklehead has been grinding on the trigger, hammer, sear? Ill tell you what they are gonna do. They are gonna stick him with full retail price replacement parts and Ruger shop labor to fix it. Which do you think is going to be cheaper? Ruger or buying factory parts on "his own" or taking it to a gunsmith to repair? Ruger aint gonna be the cheapest!

If it only goes auto once in a while on the reset, it's probably not a terribly butchered job. Even if it is, parts prices often are the same price (within a couple bucks) from Numrich, Midway, or factory parts so he probably won't save that much if they actually do charge him to fix it.

Or if he just says that he took to a gunsmith to work on the trigger and now it's not working properly, they still might return the rifle to factory specs for very little or nothing.

I've seen several 77/44s that have had to be rebarreld, and each one had a gunsmith trigger job. Ruger did rebarrel the rifles, but they also took out the Timney sears and the factory stoned sears and replaced them with factory fresh parts at no cost.

You might be surprised what a company will do for free to help customers and to build their reputation.

As for cost of working on a gun, cheapest option doesn't mean it's the best option. It's probably how he wound up in the situation to begin with

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    have you talked to the guy who did the work? maybe start there and if the error is pointed out maybe he'll take care of it for you and make it right at no additional cost to you (what he should do anyway). mistakes happen; he should have caught it but didn't. maybe give him a chance to make it right? I don't know mini-14s, but if they are like m1a trigger groups and if my memory serves me correctly on how it all works (yea, my memory sucks and it's been awhile), he might be able to have it all fixed w/ a couple swipes of a file allowing a little more engagement of the sear so the hammer is held a touch longer on reset before it falls to the trigger... (I had to do something similar once w/ a RRA AR 2-stage I bought second-hand)

otherwise, buy some factory new parts and get it back to original condition or find someone else to start over w/ your trigger work.

-rvb

Last edited:

BeDome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Wow!! Bad situation, Now only is it now dangerous it is illegal. The trigger mech is not that hard to work on. Get it out of the gun and leave it out. There are legal issues at this point. A gun can't fire more then once per trigger pull. If you need help getting it out go to youtube.

I'd guess he took to much off the face of the hammer hooks. It's a double hook design. If the space between the to hooks is increase to far it will cause this issue. I'd replace the hammer and sear with a good after market or just go back to a new stock assembly. It is a DYI project if you are mechanically inclined. There are some youtube how to video's.

This guy ruined your hammer and maybe your sear. If this is a shop? I'd go back and make them make it right! Please post back on your results! Hope you can get the guy to many it right

Yes, I do understand the legal aspects of having to deal with this problem on my own. From the very first time I disassembled the weapon and discovered what was actually happening, I made sure to not assemble it again, but thanks for the heads up.

I really need to get this thing back to factory spec! No kidding!

BeDome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Only illegal if that was the intent, and you're making no effort to fix it. Your statement makes this a simple malfunction. The "hack" probably removed too much material or left a rounded edge that it's skipping off of on reset. Probably should just put some OEM trigger parts in and throw those away, or buy an aftermarket kit.

After market kit, meaning a completely new trigger assembly or something?

I would do this instantly, but I would prfer a decent gunsmith to help me through these troubles.

BeDome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Call Ruger's customer service at 603-865-2442, they should take care the problem.

This is a very old Ranch Rifle. I am not sure that Ruger would be all that willing to help with a deliberately modified ... etc.

As I mentioned, this is no longer a factory spec piece due to some dodgy work that was done on it. NOT BY ME!!

Top Bottom