White River Armory AR parts - funny looking hammer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    image.jpg Hello! I just got the White Rover Armory lower parts not today and noticed the hammer doesn't look like most hammers. Is anyone familiar with this? It looks like there is a weird notch as well. Let me know!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Does an AR's lock time make much a difference in anything other than long range precision shooting?

Do you not want every advantage available to improve your odds of survival?

Hmmmmmmm?

If it cost an extra $500 it might not be worth it in close range combat but same price as stock? Take the advantage.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You can tell the difference by dry firing. It is obvious how much faster the hammer fall is with the extra power spring.

I own many AR's. Every one has the extra power hammer spring and a RRA two stage trigger. Not every rifle is a long range precision rifle. But decreased lock time is never a detriment to any rifle. I don't care for single stage triggers, although I have an AR10 with an acceptable single stage trigger. I have a RRA trigger new in the bag waiting for me to tire of the single stage trigger in the DPMS lower. I am playing with this rifle for now. But not forever.

All of my shooting is precision shooting. Distance does not matter. You are a rifleman also, I think. I hope.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm relatively new to AR's and haven't experimented with lock times. I know I like a 2 stage trigger much better than a single stage. I guess it's time for me to expand my horizons. Thanks for disabusing me of the notion that it wouldn't make much difference in most cases.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am not saying it makes a real difference. But it sure can't hurt to have a faster lock time. You really can tell the difference before and after just by listening to the hammer fall. And the extra power hammer spring has no effect on trigger pull weight. It is a total winner.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Faster lock time really does not matter if all you do is sand bag your rifle to a bench. If you stand on your hind legs and shoot your rifle it makes a lot of difference. With .008" of front sight movement changing the impact point almost 2 inches on a 200 yard target, any movement can have a significant difference. Shorter sight radius rifles are even more picky about sight picture.

While standing you always have sight oscillations. You heart keeps beating, your nervous system keeps cycling. Your brain continues to make corrections to your muscles as it interprets the data transmitted by your eyes as they continually cycle to keep focus. You only have a few milliseconds of that perfect sight picture and to break the shot before the rifle moves off that perfect aim. WIth a slow lock time on the trigger like a GI trigger, any movement is farther off the perfect shot by the time the bullet is leaving the barrel. You WILL see it in the scores if you are using regulation targets. A clean breaking trigger with a fast lock time will make it easier to catch inside the 10 ring instead of leaking outside the 9 ring.

If you have a scoped rifle, turn that bad boy to max magnification and stand dry firing at a 200 to 300 yard target. You will easily see what happens between the start of the trigger pull and the moment the hammer drops. If you cut the lock time in 1/2, you cut the error in 1/2.

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It looks like every other speed/low mass hammer. Low mass hammers will give you better lock times, which will improve your accuracy, especially as a beginner. It also has the added advantage of providing more kinetic energy to your primers, which results in more reliable ignition.

Top Bottom