• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Does anyone work on or know someone in the Indianapolis area that works on 870's to correct the weak ejection that many of the newer models, or should I say most are experiencing? I have polished the chamber and changed the extractor and bent the ejector spring already. I am not sure if I made this bend properly but it did seem to help a little. It will eject unfired cases fine but only drops an empty about an inch from the ejection port or leaves the case stovepiped. I traded another member for this gun a few years ago and have just now started to "Try" and use it. The gun looked like it was unfired when I got it. The butt stock is also cracked so rather than repair it I bought a set of used Police furniture off of Ebay. Please advise. This ejection problem has got me more than P. O. at Remington and from what I have been reading they won't do much to fix this problem reliably. Please advise. Also I tried to use the search feature to find other threads on this issue but for some reason it won't let me use it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    LOl! That does seem to help at times.....but not always. I just got back from a trip to gunsmith Jeff McHenry on the Southside. He inspected the gun and decided that the extractor spring was weak and replaced it with a stiffer spring. He did not have any empty hulls to try it out in the shop but it ejected loaded dummy rounds quite well. When I got home I tried some spent casings and it is better but still not quite up to par yet. I'll keep working on it I guess. If I don't try to rack it too fast and push the forearm forward with a lot of force it ejects better. Maybe it will get better with use. I'll take it out and run some live ammo through it and see how that works. It just bugs me that my Maverick works so much better. My Dad's Mossberg 500 also works a hell of a lot better. I remember not having this problem with an old Wingmaster I used to have. I wish I still had that gun. We shall see
    Are you not racking the slide snappy enough?

G3kray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I have been running a reamer first through the chamber then polishing.non mim extractor helps too but after that it will work great. It's bull that Remington won't make these right from the factory but they are cheap enough I don't mind tuneing them up to work correctly.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Look closely at the extractor hook. The tip can chip off of the MIM extractors the first time it is cycled. This sounds like an ejector problem from your description. Check to make sure the ejector has not loosened from the reciever. Check for a burr around the cut for the extractor hook in the barrel that may keep the hook from getting a solid purchase on the rim.

Last edited:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Look closely at the extractor hook. The tip can chip off of the MIM extractors the first time it is cycled. This sounds like an ejector problem from your description. Check to make sure the ejector has not loosened from the reciever. Check for a burr around the cut for the extractor hook in the barrel that may keep the hook from getting a solid purchase on the rim.
    I just did an inspection on the cut for the extractor hook on the barrel. While it is smooth it is slightly angled downward towards the bolt. It looks like with some careful work with a file to remove a little material may improve the extractors ability to more positively grasp the case rim. First I think I'll check out some other barrels for a comparison. Thanks for the tip!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    They sent me a free one as well. I emailed them and complained about weak extraction/ejection, chipped MIM extractor hooks, and the general use of MIM parts. Had a non-MIM extractor at my door in a week.

Not sure why they still use that MIM junk. I could see using it in a non-sensitive application, but it just doesn't make sense to me to use it for an extractor.

Anyway, OP, email them and ask for a non-MIM extractor. They should send you a free one if you go about asking correctly, and it'll at least rule out whether it's the MIM extractor or not.

Call Remington. They sent me a new steel extractor for free. Solved the same issues with mine.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Does anyone work on or know someone in the Indianapolis area that works on 870's to correct the weak ejection that many of the newer models, or should I say most are experiencing? .

Most are experiencing? Really? There are probably 5 million 870 Expresses out there, most are not experiencing this problem. Let's keep this in the realm of reality.

Top Bottom