• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    I have found some stuff online that says it is okay to use white lithium grease on certain firearms, but some stuff that also says to avoid it.

One problem with all of these opinions is that it is hard to gauge whether the source of the opinion is reputable.

I am looking for an engineer or chemist or someone who can explain the "why or why not" for white lithium. Also, would it be dependent on the material used for the gun?

You might wonder, "why the heck don't you just go buy some gun grease?"

I have white lithium grease in the house already and like to get maximum use out of things I already have ;) ... also I am just hoping I can learn something from this about grease/lubes.

Thanks

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    In the years that I used and worked on firearms I never saw any instances where grease would be a better choice than oil. Think for a moment about what goes on inside your engine and transmission with bearing loads and operating temperatures that no firearm will EVER generate (except maybe full auto machine guns). There's nothing but oil in your engine and transmission. It does the job just fine. Also as mentioned above grease can and will stop a gun when the temperature drops. And that's no "internet theory". I have seen it happen plenty of times. People often say that grease lasts longer than oil. That is true. So just add oil when you think it needs it. Powder fouling combined with grease makes an excellent lapping compound and increases wear. Oil will carry the gunk away and flush it out of the action. Grease will simply hold it in place. Not what you want.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have and do use lithium grease on rifles... Love it on an AK.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    White lithium grease? Certainly not, not on any firearm I own or have ever owned. No need, whatsoever.

Can't say it better than Drail did, above.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    M1 and M14 rifles were designed to use grease not oil for lube. White lithium grease was used during WWII because it did not wash off in rain. It tends to harden and gum up so a new grease was developed after the war. A brown, non lithium grease it remains soft a does not gum even in cold temperature. I have two 8 oz cans of it...marked grease, rifle.

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Lots of great responses, but still seeing the lack of consensus. Interesting jcj54 did you buy that locally?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    M1 and M14 rifles were designed to use grease not oil for lube. White lithium grease was used during WWII because it did not wash off in rain. It tends to harden and gum up so a new grease was developed after the war. A brown, non lithium grease it remains soft a does not gum even in cold temperature. I have two 8 oz cans of it...marked grease, rifle.

I use Lubiplate (grease) on my M1's and M1A

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You can literally go to a store and buy a tube of grease like what you would put into a grease gun and just use that. Or go buy a jar of wheel bearing grease. You only put it on contact points. Like where the bolt pivots or where the bolt carrier runs on the rails.

A tube of grease is stupid cheap and it will last you years and years. You never use much.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Found 2 cans 25 years ago at a gun show. Have used about 10 percent of the first one...
    And yes, you can use automotive grease, but I don't agree with doing so. I prefer to use what was formulated specifically for the rifle. Plasilube is the best current substitute for the milspec rifle grease. When the service teams were using M1 and M14 rifles they used Plastilube. As expensive as parts for these rifles are I don't want to risk premature wear..

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    If it rotates use oil i,f it slides use lithium grease . How cold does a gun get when next to your body in it's holster ?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I'm an engineer, as you may have guessed. In my shop I have a 10" Heavy South Bend lathe and a 9x42" Index Super 55 vertical mill, and they've taught me a lot about grease and oil.

Grease is essentially oil or other liquid lubricant with a binder to make it a paste/semi-solid. It's used in applications where oil will flow away from where you want it to stick, or in places that you can't get at to oil. Machine will have nipples at strategic locations to allow cavities to be packed with grease, like gear trains or spindles. Sliding surfaces almost universally use oil for lubrication, as the idea is to make a microscopically thin layer for metal parts to glide over each other on. Drivescrews and leadscrews use grease when you can't easily access them, and oil when you can.

In firearms, oil is probably the best lubricant for everything other than long-term storage. In use, grease will pick up and hold fouling, brass pieces, unburnt powder, dust, etc, and wear your mating surfaces. Oil will carry these things away in use, and won't hold as much as it's simply much thinner of a layer.

Really, I can't think of anywhere on any of my guns I'd use grease. I run mine dry anyway, so oil would just be used as a rust preventative.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have some super positive dealings with a gunsmith named Jerry Johnson

Jerry C Johnson - Riflesmith

Works primarily on U.S. Government arms and target rifles, Garand's & MlA's incl, his take is white lithium grease and Lubriplate grease hardens over time and he advises the use of U.S, rifle grease, still available on the surplus market. His word is good enough for me.

Really, I can't think of anywhere on any of my guns I'd use grease. I run mine dry anyway, so oil would just be used as a rust preventative.

Not advisable to run a M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, or m14/M1A dry, rifle grease prevents wear and operating rods are getting in short supply.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    A firearm is really nothing like an engine it's more like a car door hinge. Going back and forth, back and forth etc... Guess what works best there grease.

Oils can and will turn to peanut butter thick sludge. Many a hunter can tell you about it.

If your firearm is getting cold enough that it could freeze you should run it dry.

Top Bottom