• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I ran across a thread on another forum where a member described his favorite refinish process as "al-ox blasted", then hot blued.

I've done some research on these two processes, and the long and short of it is that it doesn't seem cost effective to buy all the components to be able to blast and hot blue the full blown ways, so my question is....

Can anyone recommend lower cost way of doing this, or does anyone have a set up I could pay to use or watch the process? Its a cheap gun but I love the flat solid look of the end result.

Please, advise me! Or if you have an offer for tutelage or what not feel free to PM me :)

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    No low-cost way of getting into blasting and hot bluing. You can cold blue, but hot-bluing is a bit more setup intensive.

Parkerizing is pretty low-brow, so you may consider that. Not much involved there, and you can get good results easily.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    That's what I figured, it looked like a several stage process, but the end result is so attractive. I can send it off I suppose, I just wanted to be involved in the project!

Anyone? :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That's what I figured, it looked like a several stage process, but the end result is so attractive. I can send it off I suppose, I just wanted to be involved in the project!

Anyone? :)

You don't want to be involved with the bluing process, it's expensive, dirty, and hazardous to your health. There's a reason why there's fewer and fewer people do true bluing.

I'm unaware of any hot bluing process that's healthy or cheap

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You don't want to be involved with the bluing process, it's expensive, dirty, and hazardous to your health. There's a reason why there's fewer and fewer people do true bluing.

I'm unaware of any hot bluing process that's healthy or cheap

I hot blued my Ruger, Mk I, and have had no ill effects..... My Gunsmith in Greenfield, has done it for 30 years, and AFAIK, no health issues .....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have the Brownells hot-bluing setup I would let you borrow if you really want to do this yourself. I don't have any of the chemicals and I have never actually used it because I don't yet have a place to set it up. It used to be IndyGunWork's setup so he could tell you more about it.

If you opt for Parkerizing instead I have a stainless tank for Parkerizing as well. It just goes on one of the hot-bluing burners for the heat-source.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Definitely consider black manganese Parkerize if you like a flat finish. Anyone set up to hot blue should be able to blast and blue your gun for not much. It is a little too complicated a process to do yourself for just one gun. And the equipment needed ain't cheap either. Just search for gun refinishing services in your area. For a bead blast blue that involves no polishing the prices are fairly inexpensive and that is a durable finish that will hold a lot of oil just like Parkerizing.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I'd be up for any cerakoteing you wanted to try too. I've got a sand blasting box just would both need to agree on a color. Dudley0 has an old 629 we can test out on too.

Top Bottom