• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I've been a fan of the Wyatt "Deep Cover Special", which is a modified Smith & Wesson 637 38SPL+, which looks like an awesome compact, light carry, with plenty of power. What I've never been keen on is paying for advertising, such as the huge Gunsmoke logo on the barrel, or (to a more minor degree) the "Wyatt Deep Cover" that is on the cylinder hinge.

Does anyone know of a reputable S&W gunsmith that would be able to do the same smithing, without the logos?

There's plenty of details out there of the work that is done on it, but it amounts to bobbing the hammer, refining the trigger job, trigger radius, and flute polishing.

Thanks
    Dan

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Not to familiar the the gunsmoke model but it looks like a standard 637 airweight with a bobbed hammer.

AllenM of Diamond collision (he has his own thread on here and is an INGO advertiser) should be able to handle the work. He can also make any cosmetic changes you'd like. Link to follow.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks, looks like Allen is standing down for a month or so, but I'll reach out,

Here's some info on the piece:
    http://youtu.be/S23DmwYx0-A

The bobbed hammer is one of two primary mods, the smoother action is the biggest improvement that I'd seen. S&W had them at both NRA shows, and the difference in trigger action between it and the stock 637 os quite noticeable, the only drawback being the loss of single action.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. We have a good gunsmith up here in Mishawaka. I'll post a link as soon as I find it. So a bobbed hammer an a trigger job. Have you thought about sending it to the custom shop at S&W?

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    ?..Have you thought about sending it to the custom shop at S&W?

Yes, talked to S&W Performance center, at NRA show, and over the phone, both with disappointing results.

Despite being familiar with the gun, and selling the modified 637 themselves in their performance product line, they would not provide a cost estimate for performing the work, and would not claim to even be able to peform the work at all, without me shipping them a gun for evaluation. Seemed pretty silly to me, it amazed me that they wouldn't walk over to the office next door to crack open one of their own pieces, with the prospect of new business.

If I'm going to ship it off, it will be to someone who is confident they can perform the task.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you're going to bob the hammer on a 637 then why not just go to the internal hammer 642? The look of the gun with bobbed hammer is almost EXACTLY the same as the 642. The only difference is the slightly raise portion of the hammer housing right above the grip on the 642.

airweights.jpg

Then at that point all you have to do is a trigger job and change the grips.

FWIW, a "trigger job" on these guns is very limited in what can be done. Because they are double action you pulling the trigger is what gives the hammer enough energy to strike the primer and ignite the powder charge. You can only lighten the trigger so far before ignition becomes unreliable. Wolf makes an aftermarket hammer spring that will lighten the pull a few pounds but that's about the limit, from there you just want to carefully polish the trigger components to make sure they are smooth. This is all easily done by somebody that is half-way mechanically inclined; I've done a trigger job on my 642 with the aforementioned Wolf spring and it was very simple.

Last edited:

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    It's just personal preference, as I don't find the rear bulge to be asthetically pleasing. Albeit VERY minor, there will be a slight weight loss with the 637 after bobbing the hammer, but it's primarily the appearance that makes me opt for the 637. I agree that it's primarily a smoothing that can be done to improve the trigger action, but there is a noticeable difference between the WDC and stock action.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Look up INGO member Bosshoss. He is a S&W revolver gunsmith. He does all the work on S&W revolvers for local USPSA shooters.

Thank you for the positive contribution to the converstation! I'm not at 50 posts yet, so can't PM, but tried to reach out to him via another forum, thanks.

Top Bottom