• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i have a 1903 which is chambered in 25.06 the serial number is in the 400,000's the barrel is marked wiedner rifle corp dowagiac mich. has anyone on there heard of there rifles??? i have done some research and found that the weider rifle corp chambered many of these in 25.06 in the 1920's when the 25.06 was a wild cat round. i read that modern 25.06 will not chamber and they do not. i have tryed. i am kinda stuck between having the chamber reemed out or maybe even selling the rifle. i have heard that 1903's with serial numbers under 800000 are subject to having bad heat treating. is there much truth to that. i havent shot this rifle but im sure its been shot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You are kinda on your own with this one, I think. Call Jerry Johnson in Churubusco. If anyone can help you it will be him. He might even have one. He is listed in the gunsmith section.

Good luck

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    it is a springfield, i have thought of having it rebarreled. i have thought of trying to handload ammo for it. changeing back to 30.06 wouldnt be hard, nothing would need done to the bolt face since it was never messed with to go to 25.06.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    it is a springfield, i have thought of having it rebarreled. i have thought of trying to handload ammo for it. changeing back to 30.06 wouldnt be hard, nothing would need done to the bolt face since it was never messed with to go to 25.06.

I have 2 and 7/8 springfield 1903's that I inherited from an Uncle, through a cousin. Long story, but it isn't quite three of them.:(

Its an odd place you are in, for sure. Preserve? Conserve? or Restore. Its a decision you will need to make... Or Sell? Thats an option too.

The low number receiver issue might need some more reading... There were issues. But might want to spend a little more time researching before you bail on it.

:twocents:

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    yea i have read a little about the receivers. im no expert thought, and i have read alittle about the weider rifle corp. i do like that 1903's this one has a very nice action its not in the classifields yet but that idea is out there. dos any one know about what it should cost to have the it rechambered. then next question who would be a good person to do it around the muncie area?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am from Dowagiac. I had no ideal that anything firearms related was manufactured there. Neat find. If you ever sell it let me know. It would be neat to have something made in my old home town.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My friend, and great gunsmith, jcj54 will soon have the rifle to make the chamber right. Probably a barrel set back and re-chamber.

Glad I missed the whuppin' John.... Whew.

What is it worth to you, 1911ly? :):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom