• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Who all has made a 80% ar lower? i just bought a new mill and thought an 80 would be a fun project so i bought a psa rifle kit and am about to buy an anderson 80% and jig (the guy whose jig i was going to borrow sold his:() is there anything i should look out for? Guys do these with wood routers and no machince experience, and i have experience and the tools so i cant imagine it will be that hard.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't see the point in these lowers? For the same price (from what I've seen) you can just buy a finished lower. I don't care if I have to do a 4473. That's the only reason I can see to get a 80% lower is if you wanna avoid the paper or unless you just wanna challenge of building something which I do understand because it's lots of fun to make things. The gun stuff I just prefer to buy already done lol

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    The best part of doing an 80% lower is that you can engrave about whatever you want on it. There are several specialized engraving business that already have art on file. [do your own search as I do not advertise]

For example:
    Colt/Armalite model 601
    M16, M16E1, etc
    GM Hydramatic

Then there is a bunch of political speech and graphics one can put on their lower.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    For me its just a fun project and i can say "i made that" i really dont care about 4473 they aint that bad.

I bought the jig to use on my first one and then im going off of blue prints for the second one.

My rifle kit is listed as shipped from psa which is a suprise considering all the stories ive heard. Now its just a waiting game. Im sooo excited

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't see the point in these lowers? For the same price (from what I've seen) you can just buy a finished lower. I don't care if I have to do a 4473. That's the only reason I can see to get a 80% lower is if you wanna avoid the paper or unless you just wanna challenge of building something which I do understand because it's lots of fun to make things. The gun stuff I just prefer to buy already done lol
    ever built an AK from a flat? I have, just to do for the smae reasons as Freakforge, to say I did it and I wanted to show that an AK can arise anywhere a person has a hammer since people wonder how there can be so many worldwide. :dunno:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Also would anybody want video or timelapse of the milling process? I know i get a lot from watching videos of things being done maybe you guys do too.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    lower will be here tomorrow so i might be able to get started after work. will probably try another timelapse style video and maybe stop and tell what im doing ever once and a while.

my rifle kit from psa will be here Wednesday. I was surprised by psa's shipping time, i have heard all kinds of horror stories of it taking several weeks to get your parts but i ordered it on Friday and will get it Wednesday.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well i got video but im not going to post it, its all cussing and me measuring over and over again. I learned a few things, anderson 80% lowers are really nice, anderson finishing jigs suck,andersons instructions suck, and the digital read out on my mill is junk. I dont think i ruined any thing but using their jig was a total nightmare whoever designed it obviously smokes meth. Rifle kit gets here tomorrow so we'll see how everything works

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was wrong, due to confusion from the instruction sheet i thought i messed it up but i didn't everything is well within tolerance and i now have a functioning rifle. the carry handle sight is going to be here next Wednesday and it will be done! Im so excited, this is my first ar and im already planing the second which will be a pistol of some sort and then maybe an a2 clone.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am behind the times. I haven't been as active. I missed this thread. Awesome job on the 80% They are fun. I haven't use the Anderson jig but I have used the TM (best IMHO) and a poly James Madison. Measuring a thousand times and a bit of swearing is the same process I used!!:lmfao: Hey, it works! What can you say!

30cal makes it sound easy. He's a talented machinist. I'd love to have his skills for sure. If he were closer I'd love to visit his place and learn a lot! He's been really helpful with info and sharing his skills! He's a awesome fellow for sure.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

So you can make a GHOST GUN!!!!!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I eneded up tossing the top plates and just using the side plates to clamp with and went off of blueprints to finish it. I'll post up some pics later on. Still needs a rear sight. Bought a carry handle but am also oing to get a flip up along with a red dot.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    oh and im not sure if it is true for all anderson lowers but the hole for the grip screw wasn't tapped all the way but thats no big deal its just a 1/4x28 tap. just something to be aware of if any one wants an anderson lower.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    It works!!! the carry handle came early so we ran out and grabbed some ammo and hit the range. ran 60 rounds flawlessly. combat effective accuracy probably a first sized group at 100 which i dont think is bad for a $25 sight.

not the best picture but heres the gun with the mill i used to cut the lower. i thought it was fitting since the setup of both were finished today/

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    Did you just use regular old drill bits or special cutters, such as an end mill? I've been wanting to try an 80% lower because I'm a big DIY kind of guy, but I don't even have a drill press, let alone mill. Would I be foolish to attempt finishing an 80% lower with just a plain old cordless drill?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom