• ...and so much more!
  • darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Marlin 60 Refinishing

Just picked up a Marlin 60 off a fellow INGOer this past week. I have decided to refinish the stock. After taking it apart, I have figured out two things so far. It was manufactured in 1988, and the trigger guard assembly will need to be replaced. After taking it out I saw that it was cracked and I have it glued back together for now. I have a few questions regarding the replacement part.

Does anyone know the easiest way to determine if this is an older or newer style model? I do not want to buy the wrong replacement part. If possilbe, I would like to replace it with a metal trigger assembly. It does have the last shot hold open with the release lever by the trigger.

Have begun working on sanding the stock to redo it, but am wodering can anyone recommend a finish remover? Sanding will be time consuming.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You said recommend a stripper eheh sorry couldn't resist. I think rhino likes to make some money on the side. ..

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Depending on how the stock looks and its current finish, you can actually use some oven cleaner. There is an old trick to this guys use on old military stocks that are full of grease and grime. Spray the stock very liberally with the oven cleaner, then put it inside of a black plastic garbage bag out in the hot sun. The cleaner and heat should loosen up the old finish and degrease the stock. From there you can scrub with a fine steel wool pad and mineral spirits.

Then you can lightly sand and then stain to suit.

The more conventional way is to get some wood finish remover from a local hardware store.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Before

Progress so far.

anyone have any ideas on how to more easily remove the darker spots left. I am worried about sanding off to much. Is it to late to use a stripper of will 0000 steel wool do the trick?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The darker spots are built up oil and grime from years of use. If you sand it out you'll of course gouge the wood. Try some oven cleaner or chemical stripper and it should leach out.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The darker spots are built up oil and grime from years of use. If you sand it out you'll of course gouge the wood. Try some oven cleaner or chemical stripper and it should leach out.

Thanks! I am going to try that before I switch over start using the 220 grit!

Any oven cleaner that you have had better luck with?

Put it back together to check spacing! Everything still lines up just right!
    Took a few pics to show progress!

Seems I have gotten all viewable scratches out!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom