• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I need to rethread a buffer tube. Does anyone have a 1 3/16 - 16 threading die? I realize I can buy one, and I realize I could take it to a gunsmith. I looking for the other option of borrowing or renting. The job should take all of about five minutes.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    if the threads are just booger d try thishttps://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-2573-3-Piece-Restorer/dp/B007TMEXTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455164930&sr=8-1&keywords=thread+file

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    The threads I have are just fine. The problem is there aren't enough of them. It was not threaded enough from the factory to allow a receiver plate and castle nut. Therefore I need the die to cut more threads.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The threads I have are just fine. The problem is there aren't enough of them. It was not threaded enough from the factory to allow a receiver plate and castle nut. Therefore I need the die to cut more threads.

You have a picture? I am curious to see what a buffer tube looks like that with that little threading. Cause I never saw a buffer tube that didn't have enough thread.

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I don't need a lecture, but I bought it out of a "factory blem"/"as is" box at the 1500. It is an ACE m4 Socom stock, full length. In appearance, everything looks normal. The problem is when threaded into the lower receiver to the point of holding the buffer retaining pin, there aren't any threads left to allow room for a receiver plate and castle nut. Or, if you install so that the receiver plate compresses the takedown pin spring, the buffer tube does not reach the buffer retaining pin. Now, I may be missing something, but in my simple mind it just needs more threads cut. Bargain price, but.....

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I would just invest in a better buffer tube(i.e. 7075 aluminum). They are like $40-$45.

I believe that what the OP has is a one piece buffer and stock combo.

Depending on how short it is from catching the buffer retainer, I'd also look for a thinner receiver plate. I know that the aluminium ones that are QD compatible from IWC are significantly thicker than s standard steel USGI plate or the Magpul ASAP...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am going to bet that the threads on the buffer tube were cut on a lathe and not with a die. The tube was sized to the proper diameter while on the lathe. It will (probably) not be as simple as running a die over it to resize it. The tube will be to thick for a die to cut at the end of the thread. Plus aluminum is a soft metal to thread with a die.

And that tube is thin. Even if it would die cut the tube would probably collapse and the buffer would stick if it did. I'd save that tube for another project and buy a non blem tube.

Sure that is not what you want to hear but I think it's the reality of it.

Larry

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    That's a good possibility and I have wondered about it as well. Without the proper die, I'll never know. That's partly why I've asked the original question. There may or may not be a good way to fix the problem, but it is not functional the way it is now.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I believe that what the OP has is a one piece buffer and stock combo.

Awww, gotcha:yesway: I'm guessing it looks like this:
    A150-M4S-1.jpg

Top Bottom