• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Just what the title says, anyone build one? I'm considering a cetme L build, or cetme c/G3 build in the future. I'd prefer an L, but I could be swayed. I'd like to do it from a flat, just because ive never done anything like it. I was wondering after bending the flat correctly, and welding in a trunion and cocking tube, is the rest pretty easy? Any help appreciated!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hi Paul, I dug around a bit on WG and I found a few builds over there. I had to hunt a bit to find them. you might wander around over there. I hope all is well.

Larry

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Thanks for the replies! I would like to get a kit soon, however I bumped this project down on my priority list due to lack of info (everywhere). I decided to go a different direction for the time being. I've gotta let my funds build up again... :)

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Saddly the flats available for these kits right now are pretty lousy...prexis ( owner of weaponsguild) is making flats the gen1 flats have a magwell that needs to be narrowed and the top has to have material removed as well (pretty much unusable) the gen2 I'm not sure yet I haven't got it folded yet but quality is still very much lacking.... saddly it's a trend from him...I plan to try and save my gen1 flat but it's gonna be a uphill battle

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Why are these rifles always so terrible regardless of making one from a kit or buying one complete. The one I have has about 100 rounds through it and only had a magazine issue. It's a Century build from St Albans though.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Why are these rifles always so terrible regardless of making one from a kit or buying one complete. The one I have has about 100 rounds through it and only had a magazine issue. It's a Century build from St Albans though.
    I assume your taking about the Cetme sporter? (its a CETME C which a sorta copy of the HK g-3/hk91) But They are quite diffrent than the Cetme L it's a odd ball .223 rifle and century arms has no interest in building them ( saddly one guy is make the flats for the L and there pretty rough when i get a chance ill post of pictures) and you need to be a pretty talented machinest/welder to fix the issues with them and time will tell if the Gen 2's are any better

But like most things Century Arms kinda rushed them and most of the time the bolt gap is off or the cocking tube is improperly set and on a HK style platform that charging handle works as a prybar to separate the locking rollers from the trunnion (about impossible to do by hand) some of these issue are correctable fairly easy and other's not so much

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    You'll have an easier time and better results with a stainless cast receiver.

Only cast Hk receivers I knew of where federal Arms and they where aluminum. (They are junk from what I've been reading) but the thought cast stainless is pretty cool who's making them..... but in all honestly the stamp receivers are in most respects are better for guns like this....a delayed blow back .308 is pretty violent and stamped parts allow for some flex

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    This company did a limited run on the cetme L, but they are already sold out. (i will hopefully be getting their stg-n)
    https://www.hmgunworks.com/product/hmg-cetme-l-2/
    If you find the pats, you could contact them to see if they will build you one....

In regards to g3 builds, and maybe the cetme L, I would take a look at gewehr werks.
    Gewehr Werks
    He is located right on the other side of the Ohio border. That is of course if he is still in business, i havent heard much about him lately. But, if he is still building, he is known for his ak, g3, and other hk rifle builds.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Thanks for the replies! Duffman, I read this review https://www.forgottenweapons.com/product-review-cetme-l-flat-by-prexis/ and its more than enough to steer me away from Prexis. Its just too bad noone has made a reputable receiver yet for these. Whether they were good, bad, suffered problems due to mags, whatever... They were interesting rifles.
    I like the hmgunworks builds, hopefully they start building more, or offering build parts.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Glad you saw that one its becoming more and more common with him i also had a PSL barrel that he made that the chamber was to shallow, and a RPD semi lower that wouldn't reset (ended up completely rebuilding it (welding up all the holes and everything) .... Yes the Cetme L is a sweet looking rifle and if i cant get one of my two receiver's to work i still plan on sitting on this kit until quality receiver is available i know there is at least one company planing on releasing some this year

if you do pick one up understand you may have to store it for a few years and might not be a bad idea to pick up one of apex's us made barrels (i plan to re-work a hk33 barrel) but im not crazy about tearing up a real deal hk barrel if the reciever is no count

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Sometimes cast stainless receivers turn up on GB. They handle the pressure of a clamp-on scope mount better than a stamped receiver, and just seem to have less go wrong with them IMHO.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Been working on my L pretty much all day today.... saddly it doesn't go together like a ak kit.... The GEN 2 receivers are fair more improved than the orginals but with that said you are still tweeking everything on that receiver most of my day was straightening/flattening the rails .. setting the bolt gap (headspace) probably has been the easiest thing on this build so far The GEN 2's are usable but still really lacking in quality (if your good at body work you should be right at home) It honestly took me 6 hours to get the front trunnion aligned and the bolt carrier to drop with out hanging up..... ill post some pictures here if your still interested once i get a little more completed (it honestly doesnt look like much right now) Build information is rather lacking still trying to figure out the FCG box mods and the weldments go together (nothing remotely like building a HK or Cetme C) this build is real headache

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Sounds like a pain in the butt.... I'd be interested, but I think as far as projects go, I'll move on. I kinda have the UZI bug right now. I almost picked up a CETME C kit the other day, but I thought I'd save a bit. Good luck with the build, hope you get it running!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Here is as far as ive gotten so far... still need to weld the cocking tube on and rear sight the receiver is thinner than a hk-33 and doesn't take heat very well so ive been forced to stitch weld which leaves a lot of clean up work to do

20160707_134207_zpsjrf3qigg.jpg 20160707_134216_zpsedfji5zo.jpg 20160707_135534_zps6jlrwnt2.jpg

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Looks good to me so far! Definitely not as an ak build... before I tackle that one I'd need better flats or maybe a 100% receiver.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I'd recommend building a cetme C or Hk kit generally the rails are pretty squared away after folding or you can pick up a 100% pretty easy.... after this girl I plan on starting a MG47 so back to ak's but with a twist

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is as far as ive gotten so far... still need to weld the cocking tube on and rear sight the receiver is thinner than a hk-33 and doesn't take heat very well so ive been forced to stitch weld which leaves a lot of clean up work to do

View attachment 48370 View attachment 48371 View attachment 48372

It looks awesome. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your progress. I need to get back to finishing some of my projects. Yours is inspiring.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Hill & MAC Gunworks will be shipping there Cetme L flats here shortly if you looking for a quality flat to get into a Cetme L now's your chance.... I have decided to switch to a Cetme LC (collapsing stock carbine version) i so i believe ill be cutting both of these flat's up and selling off the kit.... if you go decide to jump in... in range tv just release a build video on a H&M flat and its quite impressive..... Out of my Gen2 prexis flat i could build a functional firearm but there's too many imperfections that bother me on a receiver thats a bit thinner than the original (simply put it's a crappy receiver and it will make a crap firearm)

Hopefully the new receiver flat will mail out soon and i picked up the bending jig so if anyone else jumps in to build one i may have a jig they can use.

Top Bottom