• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have a converted saiga AK in 5.56 that ive decided to hold onto and therefore want to thread. Ive researched the how a bit but am a little intimidated.

Any recommendations besides "buy the die, barrel alignment tool, and die wrench and crank?"

I believe my rifle doesnt have the shroud as I can see the same tool marks and diameter on the barrel on both sides of the gas block, so that step is mitigated.

Any advice? What can I mess up and how can I avoid doing it?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Anyway you can get a measurement of od? I have a 24mmx1.5 die and handle that may work for you.. I may even have a extra fsb I'll play with the idea of threading it...I don't have a tattoo tool however

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If you are just going to put a brake or flash hider on it and the barrel diameter is correct for a die you can get away with threading it with a die. If you think you will ever use a suppressor with it the barrel needs to be removed and threaded on a lathe.
    I can help with the second option if needed

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    finely got around to looking at my FSB.... at .610 threading the front sight is out of the question you would have to cut the sleeve down and thread the barrel.... 14x1 LH is what i would recommend .... or you could push the fsb off and install the ak74 front sight (the front sight is threaded 24x1.5LH would allow you to use the ak74 compensator which very effective) its also the proper muzzle device for the AK-101 which is what a 5.56 saiga really is before our import laws got ahold of it

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My bubba barrel threading video... I was threading a 7.62x39 Saiga, but the theory is the same.
    [video=youtube;1q9vZYl49yw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9vZYl49yw[/video]

Top Bottom