• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I'm getting ready to perform my first barrel and bushing fitting to a 1911. I'm done a lot of reading and watched a couple of YouTube videos (yes, I said YouTube videos). What things should I watch out for when doing this? Any tips or tricks? I'm not afraid of messing something up as long as I can learn from the mistake.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh boy.
    There is so much more to know than just watching a few videos.
    I have fit up so many bushing/barrels that I have lost track and I learned something new this morning.
    -Are you properly tooled up for this adventure.
    -What/who's barrel are you purchasing.
    -What Brand/model are you doing this to.
    -How much real experience do you have inside of a 1911.

These are a few preliminary questions that need answered before any real advice can be given.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Oh boy.
    There is so much more to know than just watching a few videos.
    I have fit up so many bushing/barrels that I have lost track and I learned something new this morning.
    -Are you properly tooled up for this adventure.
    -What/who's barrel are you purchasing.
    -What Brand/model are you doing this to.
    -How much real experience do you have inside of a 1911.

These are a few preliminary questions that need answered before any real advice can be given.

I'm fairly confident I have what I need... That being said, If I find I'm missing something, then the project stops until I can get the necessary tools.

I've purchased a Swenson barrel and bushing (cheap, yes) for a series 70 9mm Colt. Generally speaking, My time working on a 1911 is limited. I've replaced firing pins and stops previously, but this will definitely be my most involved project to date.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm fairly confident I have what I need... That being said, If I find I'm missing something, then the project stops until I can get the necessary tools.

I've purchased a Swenson barrel and bushing (cheap, yes) for a series 70 9mm Colt. Generally speaking, My time working on a 1911 is limited. I've replaced firing pins and stops previously, but this will definitely be my most involved project to date.

Do you own a lug cutter..??

Is this a "Drop In" Barrel..??

In using the said "Drop" in I have yet to have one just "Drop" in.
    Link length and lock up are 2 important issues along with hood fit. There is more.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I do not have a lug cutter.

This is a semi drop-in. I know the hood needs to be fit as does the lock-up. Additionally, I have to fit the bushing to the barrel. I hadn't thought about the lug needing to be fit.

These 1911's are becoming a pain.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

This is a semi drop-in. I know the hood needs to be fit as does the lock-up. Additionally, I have to fit the bushing to the barrel. I hadn't thought about the lug needing to be fit.

No, 1911s are fine. The pain is everyone is making "custom" parts for them. Milspec 1911s are different from today's 1911s. Milspec is a joke these days. Maybe Venezulan Milspec?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't feel defeated. There are multiple levels of parts if some one wants to modify a 1911. Just like someone who wants to hot rod a car engine. 1) There are factory replacement parts, bolt on and go. 2)Upgraded parts that require some tinkering. 3) Full out custom parts that need to to be milled and installed by a machinist with a shop full of tools. I have been known to be handy around the garage, but I do not order raw unfinished castings if I want to upgrade a cylinder head.

Order the level of parts that matches your skill set or get installation help from a gunsmith. Not too hard to do these days. There are hundreds of suppliers these days that can get you what you need. Good Luck.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a Wilson Combat bushing for my operator and have yet to even see if it needs a professional to fit it. I know my limits so I don't touch it. But I know a guy!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Anything one delves into from scratch can be difficult.
    As with anything doing mods require not only some skills but the proper tools.
    I have lost track of how much that has been spent on tools. All my tools. Not just specific gun smithing tools but the other 3 chests as well.
    You set yourself up for what you want to do. 1911's do have specific needs.
    Brownells is a really good place to start. It is near impossible to fit a barrel with a crescent wrench a couple of screw drivers and an old file.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    KART match barrels can be had with an EZ fit system. They have spots of extra material between the lugs on top of the barrel (think tire tread wear indicators) As they come, when you hook it to the stock barrel link the slide will not go into battery. The procedure is to file .010" off those humps with a small file and try again. When you are almost there, take maybe .002" off at a time. I thought it was a "yeah, sure" type gimmick. Much to my surprise it worked really well and the pistol shoots really well. I did not use the "drop in" bushing that came with it. I turned an oversize bushing down to a slight interference fit to the slide. Dykem Blue or dry marker defines those problem slide areas. I fit the barrel to bushing clearance to minimum conventionally.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ed Brown and Clark make nice drop ins.
    Depending on the frame/slide there is little work involved but always some point of contact will have to be addressed.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The Kart EZ fit barrel is now called XACT fit kit. I think this is a great way to go for a beginner. Or a semi drop in from Ed Brown or similar.
    For your first one I would avoid a gunsmith fit barrel. Some of those the chambers will need finish reamed and throated. plus cutting the lugs correctly is very important and takes a couple times to understand everything that is being controlled by the accuracy of that operation. It is best done on a mill in my opinon, but the lug cutters do work.

With the Kart kit you can get excellent results and it still requirs some effort to fit

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Kart EZ fit barrel is now called XACT fit kit. I think this is a great way to go for a beginner. Or a semi drop in from Ed Brown or similar.
    For your first one I would avoid a gunsmith fit barrel. Some of those the chambers will need finish reamed and throated. plus cutting the lugs correctly is very important and takes a couple times to understand everything that is being controlled by the accuracy of that operation. It is best done on a mill in my opinon, but the lug cutters do work.

With the Kart kit you can get excellent results and it still requirs some effort to fit

Well you have a mill so...................................:):

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you have a Dremel Tool, Hit it with a hammer! Get some Good Quality Files and take off minimal amounts of metal.

Damn it........I was to slow! I wanted to mention the Dremel "It is all you need to be a gunsmith." Well unless you are tapping a Rossi octagonal barrel 45 Colt (thanks AllenM) then you might want something different.

So all joking aside. Yes you can do a LOT with a Dremel and some good files. Yes I am sure you can fit the barrel and bushing and do a ton of DIY work to a firearm and it will "Function" but I am sure everyone will agree that "function" and "function really well" are two completely different things.

I will admit that I am a DIY gun guy (can't help myself and want to tinker) but I try to limit my work to areas of cheap and simple. What I mean by that is I have a .22 that I have been playing with and modifying. Cut down the barrel, recrown, trigger mod., shorten tube mag., and soon to be transformed into a tube feed bullpup but I only had $40.00 in the original gun.

So I guess what I am saying is keep your learning in perspective. Don't spend a TON of money on high end items just to turn around and screw them up. Your skills will progress just try and keep your educational expenses to a minimal.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    If you have a Dremel Tool, Hit it with a hammer! Get some Good Quality Files and take off minimal amounts of metal.

Yeah... So.... I discovered this a while back on something else (dont remember what it was now -- repressed memory)... I remember I left a flat spot in something that should have been round and it cost me money....

So, I stopped using that thing on most of my guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah... So.... I discovered this a while back on something else (dont remember what it was now -- repressed memory)... I remember I left a flat spot in something that should have been round and it cost me money....

So, I stopped using that thing on most of my guns.

Polishing. Great for this with the right attachments and compounds.
    "Minimal" material removal. Again with the right attachments etc.

I have a cable driven wand for mine that allows more finite work to be done.

The Dremel is a good addition to the tool box as it can do so many things.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Polishing. Great for this with the right attachments and compounds.
    "Minimal" material removal. Again with the right attachments etc.

I have a cable driven wand for mine that allows more finite work to be done.

The Dremel is a good addition to the tool box as it can do so many things.

The cable wand IS the way to go.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Quick update -- as of now, the barrel locks up nicely, the bushing seems to fit properly, the hood appears right, and (I think) the lugs are right.

I haven't gotten to the range yet to actually fire the thing, but everything seems to be good.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom