• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    so I have this old Marlin 100 "boys rifle" and it is a little beat up, so I thought it could be a fun project to see how accurate and fun to shoot I can make it

1st thing , reshape the stock, the bloody thing was like shooting a 2x6 , so I started reworking the stock , did a deap cut to make better grip, so far so good.

then I build a new trigger guard out of aluminum , much better then the stock metal

next an adjustable comb was made by drilling thru the stock , slitting off the top ,tapping it for 3/8 bolts , and presto , adjustable comb. the comb guide rods need cut shorter currently the rods are hold in place with set screws thru the side of the butt, I will make better threaded inserts when I paint the stock

then I made a wood bock to help with the pull, the rifles pull has always been a little short for me

now its time to pillar bed the action, so to my garage machine shop to make the pillars, the top pillar is aluminum,and I used an end mill to make the pillar fit the receiver, the receiver has a 7/8 O.D. to I made the pillar to fit, the bottom pillar was spun from a piece of 303 stainless

I then inleted the stock on the milling machine

I will post pics after I get the pillar installed in the stock, and after that I will recrown the whole thing in the lathe, add a lighter spring to the crappy trigger, paint and be done......I think.......

and if your wondering the scope mount is a square b for a shotgun

what ya think? no it aint petty yet, but it is a fun project, and a work in progress

uploading images

upload photos

how to screenshot on windows 7

image hosting site over 5mb

img host

greenshot

images upload

image posting

image ru

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Thats pretty cool! You took something boring, and that would probably lean against a closet corner (wouldnt rank "safe space") and made it something you'll likely enjoy!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    well all here is an update, I used my motor tool to open up the stock so the epoxy bedding has something to bite into.taped it all up up,and applied the epoxy.
    the action was given a couple coats of Camie 1080 mold release ,this is used on plastic injection molds.i find it works well if gived a few coats

here a little tip for you, i take a glossy magizine cut it in two,put the unbound end under the clip on my clip board and presto instant mixing pallet ( i mixed paint this way when i was pinstriping cars and bikes) but works well for several things

i am useing the vise,simply to prop up the whole works, in a few hours i will pull it apart,trim off the overflow epoxy and let it sit for a day or so,more pictures soon

free photo upload

image hosting free no registration

20mb image hosting

post images

enjoy and happy thanksgiving

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    ............ Curious of what lathe you have?

here is my personal lathe & mill, the lathe is a South Bend 10K ( light 10) on a factory steel cabnet with under drive,it is fully tooled and lived it's life in the the tool room at South Bend Lathe Works, the mill I picked up at the North American Model Engineering Show, ( go to the show just ,once it is way kewl) it is a Bridgeport M head stuck on the overarm support of a #0 Brown and Sharpe mill, they work well

the lathe in the pictures is a 13 inch Harrison tool room SP. in my tool room at work , the mill is bridgeport J head ......hope your enjoying the build so far

free photo hosting
    image hosting no sign up

Aaron

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Pretty cool all the way around, nice machine shop setup! And a neat little gun project. I gave my boy one of those for his first rifle. It's a Glenfield Model 10, same thing. Pretty good shooters too. He has a couple other rifles to choose from but he wants to grab that one and take it to the range. Lots of good memories. I did silver solder a brass washer to the rear sight for a cheesy but effective aperture sight. I can hit pop cans at 50 yards most of the time. That should do really well with a scope.

That is one gun that you can not dry fire! You probably all ready know that though. I love where you are going with it. Keep up the good work! I am inspired to do some work on ours now!

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    here is my personal lathe & mill, the lathe is a South Bend 10K ( light 10) on a factory steel cabnet with under drive,it is fully tooled and lived it's life in the the tool room at South Bend Lathe Works, the mill I picked up at the North American Model Engineering Show, ( go to the show just ,once it is way kewl) it is a Bridgeport M head stuck on the overarm support of a #0 Brown and Sharpe mill, they work well

the lathe in the pictures is a 13 inch Harrison tool room SP. in my tool room at work , the mill is bridgeport J head ......hope your enjoying the build so far

Aaron

Very nice. Friend of mine has a SB Heavy 10. I have a SB 16 that is a restore project for the winter.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    the good,the bad and the ugly or lessons learned.......

well the bedding job did not turn out as nice as i anted, but the action is supported in all the correct places and is as soild as the rock of gibraltar,just does not look very good.......so let`s go over what i learned, A) do a better job of keeping the pillar tight against the action,the pillar drifted down a little or i never had it located correctly.......use more epoxy when bedding,there are some voids in the bedding (i may rebed in the future but as i said it is solid), use a better mold/epoxy release agent , the action was very hard to remove from the bedding,but it did come out with some effert,and some of the bedding stuck to the action...... how ever, this was not a very difficalt project and i think most anyone could do this with even better results then i got.

as i said the bedding is not perfect,but very soild and robust, that being said,if this were a Hi Power rifle, I would most deffinatly rebed,but being this is a .22LR I think I`m gonna shoot it once and then decide if rebedding is needed.

now it`s time to paint and finish the stock, recrown the barrel,reassemble and shoot some groups......

image hosting sites

image hosting no sign up

thank you all for the positive words you have left as you follow along in the DIY adventure of the POS .22LR

stay tuned for paint and finishing touches

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    That is one gun that you can not dry fire! You probably all ready know that though. I love where you are going with it. Keep up the good work! I am inspired to do some work on ours now!

when i got the rifle it had the typ chamber dent/ bur, so i did invest in one of these niffty tools, they work well.......

upload a picture

hope this does inspire you to get and try some of this......it is a most satisfing project

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    so now it`s time to adress the really crappy trigger pull, the pull is very,very heavy, so a lighter spring is all i can do, all the spring does is hold the trigger ''up" in position so when you pull the cocking knob,the tension of the firing pin spring will then finish holding the trigger in place,making the gun ready to fire, as you can see by the pictures the spring looks like a valve spring out of a fuel injected hemi, i found a whole box of springs at a home improvments store, found a spring in there that will work perfectly, took the trigger pull from over 8 pounds down to aprx. 4 pounds, not bad for just a simple spring swap

a noticable differance,when i reassembled it and dry fired it on some drywall ancors that work well as snap caps

upload

free photo upload

upload jpg

by the way here is a neat trick/tip plano makes these neat cases with dividors these cases are plano model 3700 there perfect for storing all your little parts from the gun projects you have, i also store endmills and drills in them, very usefull for keeping all your small parts togather in neat order

photo host

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    so now it`s time to adress the really crappy trigger pull, the pull is very,very heavy, so a lighter spring is all i can do, all the spring does is hold the trigger ''up" in position so when you pull the cocking knob,the tension of the firing pin spring will then finish holding the trigger in place,making the gun ready to fire, as you can see by the pictures the spring looks like a valve spring out of a fuel injected hemi, i found a whole box of springs at a home improvments store, found a spring in there that will work perfectly, took the trigger pull from over 8 pounds down to aprx. 4 pounds, not bad for just a simple spring swap

a noticable differance,when i reassembled it and dry fired it on some drywall ancors that work well as snap caps

upload

free photo upload

upload jpg

by the way here is a neat trick/tip plano makes these neat cases with dividors these cases are plano model 3700 there perfect for storing all your little parts from the gun projects you have, i also store endmills and drills in them, very usefull for keeping all your small parts togather in neat order

photo host

Those Plano cases are awesome. I use them for holding connectors and other specialty electronics parts pieces, cables. I like that the dividers are moveable. And they aren't that expensive either. I have a ton of small gun parts. I had not thought of using one for those too. Thanks for the tip! I need to now pick up a few more!

I think you did good for a first try. I have a few actions I want to bed but I fear turning it in to one big "part" :( I am gonna try it though. The using anchor shot shells are pure genius! I have box of them from an old power nailer too. I know what to do with them now.

Great job!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have a Marlin 80Dl that I only refinished the stock on, but it sure is a tack driver. I did the spring trick as well a few months back as the trigger in mine is the same as yours. I believe I got the spring from a pen. I had issues with it in which tapping the butt stock with my hand or closing the bolt a little fast a bump fire condition would happen if a round were in the chamber. I got my pull down to around 1.5-2 though. I decided it was unsafe and found that trimming a coil or two would lower the pull without giving you a bump fire and still give you a good 4.5 pull.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Did you shoot it first to get a baseline? I am interested to see what these improvements actually do to the accuracy.

Top Bottom