• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I am planning a buffalo hunting trip to Montana while my wife is out there visiting friends. I am wanting to piece together my own rifle and use it. Other then picking out caliber where should I start? I do plan of having a gunsmith do some of the work and checks to make sure it good to go.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It all comes down to choosing exactly how you want to go: single shot? lever? pump? bolt? muzzle-loader?
    As far as caliber, the recommendation is to start with something along the lines of .45-70, .30-06, or equivalent calibers, with premium bullets being preferred.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I am planning a buffalo hunting trip to Montana while my wife is out there visiting friends. I am wanting to piece together my own rifle and use it. Other then picking out caliber where should I start? I do plan of having a gunsmith do some of the work and checks to make sure it good to go.

As a gunsmith, I would not be willing to risk doing "some of the work." Strictly from a liability stand point. Large caliber rifles are not something that I would take a chance with.

For a once in a lifetime opportunity, take the money and time spent building one, and buy a good rifle. If you want to customize it from there, you'll know that you have a good base to start with.

I've built rifles before. I've also fixed other people's "builds." From my experience, it is not cheap.

Just my opinion. Your gun, your trip, your money.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Thanks everyone. I know the caliber I am wanting to use is a .45-70. I may look into buying a historic firearm or having one built for the reason Squirt said.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    45-70 is a good caliber. Depending on distance, there are more powerful cartridges. I don't know what your skill level is with iron sighted black powder firearms. I'm guessing that you are somewhat new to it? If that is the case, please familiarize yourself with the information available on some of the BPCR information available on numerous websites.

I've worked on a number of Sharps rifles over the years. If you aren't going to lay out the bucks for a Shiloh or equivalent, then a Pedersoli built Sharps is a good Italian rifle. I'd stay away from Chiappa.

Vernier sights are expensive (for a reason).

If you have the time, try to get down to Friendship for one of the BPCR matches. You'll learn a lot and save yourself money by not buying wrong.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    45-70 is one of my favorite calibers, currently have a Browning 1886, Browning BPCR High Wall, Marlin 1895 GBL, and an Encore pistol in 45-70.

All are very viable firearms for fun and hunting.

The Single shot BPCR is an excellent, accurate gun but does require time and effort to utilize correctly. It would be a classic Buffalo hunting arm.

What ever you decide on, take time and practice. Your hunt sounds like a hoot!!!

Don

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I already have my buffalo rifle.

attachment.php

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    45-70 is a good caliber. Depending on distance, there are more powerful cartridges. I don't know what your skill level is with iron sighted black powder firearms. I'm guessing that you are somewhat new to it? If that is the case, please familiarize yourself with the information available on some of the BPCR information available on numerous websites.

I've worked on a number of Sharps rifles over the years. If you aren't going to lay out the bucks for a Shiloh or equivalent, then a Pedersoli built Sharps is a good Italian rifle. I'd stay away from Chiappa.

Vernier sights are expensive (for a reason).

If you have the time, try to get down to Friendship for one of the BPCR matches. You'll learn a lot and save yourself money by not buying wrong.

Most of the ranches out there won't allow shots from further than 150 yds and they said most are 75 or less. I am new to BPCR and glad I asked this question before I really started to dig in.

I am ok somewhat with laying out money for a good quality rifle. Especially if its one that will make for a great hunt and a very nice piece to hand down.

Thankfully I have time and the eagerness to learn.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    45-70 is one of my favorite calibers, currently have a Browning 1886, Browning BPCR High Wall, Marlin 1895 GBL, and an Encore pistol in 45-70.

All are very viable firearms for fun and hunting.

The Single shot BPCR is an excellent, accurate gun but does require time and effort to utilize correctly. It would be a classic Buffalo hunting arm.

What ever you decide on, take time and practice. Your hunt sounds like a hoot!!!

Don

Thank you for the other rifle suggestions.

I am looking forward to this hunt and my son will be 7 and is wanting to go with me.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Listen to this the night before your hunt to get into the mood...

[video=youtube;I9Z0KIhzydk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Z0KIhzydk[/video]

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm new school meets old school.... 45-70 ballistics out of a AR platform. 458 SOCOM with a hard cast gas checked bullet and a quick follow up shot if needed. Shot placement is crucial.

Top Bottom