Replacing fiber rod on Tru Glo TFO sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    What's the trick here? My fiber rod goes into a blind hole at the end of the sight, leaving only one end to "bubble" with the lighter. There's no retention in the blind hole. So once you rack the slide, it just flies out. Unlike a typical fiber sight, you can't burn both ends for retention.

Any known of anyone in town that does this on a Saturday?

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    That is the only thing I can really come up with currently, they must use some form of epoxy from the factory.

Sounds like I can send it back to them for free replacement, but have a USPSA match this week so that's not an option.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Found this in an Amazon review. Not sure if it will help you, but worth a try.

Really bright at night from the tritium. Read up on these and the common problem is the front fiber tube becomes unglued and loose either from shooting or people getting cleaners in them. Simple solution that I did to all 3 tubes is brush clear nail polish from the top. Other people use clear loctite. DO NOT use super glue.It can fog up the tubes or melt them. Nail polish and clear loctite once dried is totally unnoticable and does not affect the light collection of the tubes.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Found this in an Amazon review. Not sure if it will help you, but worth a try.

Really bright at night from the tritium. Read up on these and the common problem is the front fiber tube becomes unglued and loose either from shooting or people getting cleaners in them. Simple solution that I did to all 3 tubes is brush clear nail polish from the top. Other people use clear loctite. DO NOT use super glue.It can fog up the tubes or melt them. Nail polish and clear loctite once dried is totally unnoticable and does not affect the light collection of the tubes.

Yea, I've seen similar posts. I believe they are talking about filling in the top of the sight and around the fiber rods to encase them in a sealant. Sounds like a less than optimal solution for me. I'll probably end up finding some suitable clear glue at home depot, getting the fiber rod to stick, and then sending them back to TFO for a proper repair.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    A drop of super glue or drill the front sight all the way through so it can be replaced quickly with no mess or fuss.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    A drop of super glue or drill the front sight all the way through so it can be replaced quickly with no mess or fuss.

Superglue isn't safe for plastic. Drill the front sight all the way would render the tritium insert useless. I'd like to try some model glue or similar. I might just say eff it and go grab some clear RTV tomorrow.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Superglue isn't safe for plastic. Drill the front sight all the way would render the tritium insert useless. I'd like to try some model glue or similar. I might just say eff it and go grab some clear RTV tomorrow.

One of the benefit losses of the sights is that the person you might be pointing the gun at can see the front sight if it was drilled all the way through.

The clear fingernail nail polish is actually the best option so far. It is way stronger than you realize. It can even be used for a thread locker. It will dry clear.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Sorry I didn't see they were night sights. Thousands of competition shooters superglue the fibers in the front sight.
    You seem to have it figured out.
    Good luck at your match.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I would suggest clear Goop in the milled channel. It will allow light transmission to the fiber, has plenty of bearing area to hold, and can be removed when you want to change it. If this is for a 'work' gun, I would consider clear epoxy as the best option for semi-permanent installation.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    As an update...

I used some clear Loctite sealant. I didn't even fill the channel fully as I wanted to be able to remove and clean it up as easy as possible after the USPSA match last night. Tru Glo told me the replacement involves replacing the tritium vials as well, so they must have some proprietary method of attachment. Due to the tritium being involved, no user replacement is possible.

I was told their new TFX line of sights do not have the problem of the fiber rod falling out.

I'm going to put a set of Trijicon HD's on, as they have a little longer sight radius on the XDM compared to almost anything else.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've used clear nail polish on the TFO's I've had with good results. You don't need to fill the channel, but instead just coat the optic rod. I have TFOs on my 10mm Delta Elite and have not had any issues with the fiber rods coming loose with the nail polish.

Top Bottom