Muzzle wear and Throat erosion gauges in Central Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm looking to determine if my Springfield M1903 with its 1943 barrel would benefit from a replacement. Throat erosion and Muzzle wear gauges are the best method I know to make that determination. Anyone have a lead for me?

It currently can shoot 2 minute groups with my hand loads & 50+ yr old eyes, and some would say that is about the best I'm going to get from a rack grade military rifle. But a new barrel, possibly a bolt, and a drop-in Timney would turn it into a nice NRA Midrange gun.

Mad Machinist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Macon
    Have you considered selling and getting a newer more accurate rifle.....:).....I have several drill rifles in various stages of restoration.....but I sold my complete 1903 Rock Island years ago and have regretted it ever since....

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Have you considered selling and getting a newer more accurate rifle.....:).....I have several drill rifles in various stages of restoration.....but I sold my complete 1903 Rock Island years ago and have regretted it ever since....

Welcome to our little corner of heaven. Good Post.

To answer your post, no, I haven't considered selling my 1903 and getting a newer more accurate rifle, I already have many of those. After the number of years I've competed in Highpower, I'm looking for a different challenge.

As you own several drill rifles, you should know that the United States Rifle, Caliber .30-06, Model 1903 was the state of the art in NRA Highpower Rifle competition 100 years ago. I'm reliving that in modern times and learning how challenging it must have been to be competitive in those times. So, I'm just chipping away at the path to ultimate accuracy with this gun.

The rifle in question:
    M1903LymanPeep1_zpsz19yh9zj.jpg

Me shooting said rifle at the 600 yard line, KD4 Atterbury:
    1903atAtterbury02062016bsmall_zpsvjt9et4o.jpg

Mad Machinist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Macon
    That is a gorgeous piece of history....very envious.......I am thinking of making a solid model of the 1903 barrel and doing a small run of these in the shop....will chamber and crown manually with gauge pins.....and profile on our twin Turret ZL-15 I'll holler at you if we do....

Top Bottom