• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been using 38 snap caps in two of my .357 revolvers to smooth out the actions. One is a S&W 586 the other is a Ruger Match Champion.

The actions on both are getting pretty darn near perfect after dry firing each several thousand times. I don't believe in reduced power springs in revolvers.

Is there any special precautions I need to follow the first time I fire full power .357 magnums after using 38 special snap caps?

I sure don't want these blowing up in my hand. That would hurt. Accuracy is also very important.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am not sure, what you are asking, or why .....

I dry fire with either empty shells, with the fired primer in,

or using snap caps .....

Have had NO problem, next time at the range .....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can not think of anything that the snap cap would have done to affect the safety of firing live ammunition.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    as snap caps, there is no lasting effect (after they're ejected)
    1 - unload the snap caps
    2 - load any appropriate ammunition for the gun (if the revolver is labeled .357 Magnum, then you can safely shoot .38 spl or .357 Magnum)
    3 - shoot and enjoy

No need to overcomplicate it - unless I'm missing something from the OP

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Could be a spoof thread. Good for the OP! I will give it a 4.5 put of 11

Only a 4.5? Sheesh...

The point of the thread=I have owned revolvers since the RVN Model 15 carryback I bought in 1971 from a EOD Sergeant for $25 and a case of beer. I had 15,000 rounds of outdated USAF ammo to be disposed of and I was determined to dispose of it one round at a time. I was successful in my effort until I had a squib that tied up the action and because I was young and stupid, instead of clearing the obstruction, I blew it up in the next ordnance shot that I had. I lost a perfectly good revolver.

Over the years, I have been seduced by the National revolver experts to do trigger jobs with light springs and polishing and promises of reliability as long as I used ammo with Federal primers and the temps were moderate yahda yahda and of course, the experts were never standing next to me when the gun just went click when it needed to go bang.

I have recently gone through all of my revolvers and restored at least the hammer springs and usually the rebound springs to factory springs. It is imperative that the handgun work, no matter the temperature or the ammo. I have also found that the timing has improved with the restoration of factory springs.

I recently purchased a Ruger Match Champion that I have dry fired a gazillion times and either my trigger finger has gotten stronger or I have smoothed out the action of an already good revolver to the point where I would never consider lighter springs.

There has to be revolvers out there that need somebody to stone and wear the surfaces in, I just don't think any modern quality double action revolver needs more than lots of use or dry firing to get it perfect. I will never again trust my life to a reduced hammer spring.

​I wish I had used .357 snapcaps to get me used to the snappier recoil....

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was assuming minor stroke ...

-rvb

Hold up your hand Monday. Make me tell how many fingers.... I actually am dizzy from the new club requirements. Isaak Walton beckons. No joke there. Wait till you see the release of liability form. I think that is their answer to your question. It is unlikely that I will sign it....

Top Bottom