Why did my AK's firing pin exit the bolt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Some time after I bought my WASR 10/63 in 2011 (for $420 what whaaat), something happened to the firing retainer pin (I forget exactly, but it was while shooting the rifle) that required replacing it. I hadn't shot it in a while till recently, and after putting ~40 rounds through it the firing pin came out. What could have caused it?

I disassembled the bolt, and feel like this dent shouldn't be on the firing retainer pin:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Pics of the extractor and firing pins:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    will your firing pin retaining pin go in from both sides? It should only be able to go in from one side (top side) and the bottom side should be too small for it to go all the way through.

I've had a pin with a dent like that before and I think its from improper installation of the extractor retainer IIRC. I would get a new pin.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Mishawaka
    will your firing pin retaining pin

If you mean the firing retainer pin, yeah, it can only enter from one side. It's very possible I reinstalled the extractor pin wrong when I replaced the firing retainer pin years ago. Shouldn't I get a new extractor pin too in addition to a firing retainer pin?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If you mean the firing retainer pin, yeah, it can only enter from one side. It's very possible I reinstalled the extractor pin wrong when I replaced the firing retainer pin years ago. Shouldn't I get a new extractor pin too in addition to a firing retainer pin?

wouldn't hurt. the parts are cheap. Shipping will likely cost more than the two pins in my experience.

Top Bottom