• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I've decided to go ahead and do my first AR build. I have the parts, but I'm hesitant to begin until I know I have all the right tools. Could you help me with what is necessary and helpful? Does anyone offer a complete build tool kit? This is my first foray into this kind of a project. I don't want to go cheap, because I want to be able to take it apart, repair it, etc. if I need to.

I'll take all the input you can share...

Thanks!

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I don't know how many you plan to build, but I found these tools very helpful for lowers:

- Wheeler Engineering Bolt Catch Install Tool Kit- cut away and coated to keep from scratching things up.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3NU46C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Knipex 8603250 10-Inch Pliers Wrench-
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4OG94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Video that shows why they are nice to have, a little expensive after being stupid and scratching a lower I decided it was it for me- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11mziNfzmc

- Universal Clevis Pin for the front take down- 1/4 in. x 2 in. Zinc-Plated Universal Clevis Pin-815418 - The Home Depot
    Video that shows it in use, very cheap at home store. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7DrFEDw3ow

Hope this helps you with some ideas.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Magpul Bev Block : Magpul AR-15 BEV Block

Magpul wrench: Magpul AR-15 Armorers Wrench

a good bench vise properly mounted is a must, but American made ones can be expensive.

I'm not so sure about the torqwrench, many people insists using it to install the barrel nut. But the specs are so wide ranged from 35flb to 80flb base on the gas tube notch, so I just use the old German method, "Gutentite", be sure stop before "Brokinoff".

Last edited:

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Magpul Bev Block : Magpul AR-15 BEV Block

Magpul wrench: Magpul AR-15 Armorers Wrench

a good bench vise properly mounted is a must, but American made ones can be expensive.

I'm not so sure about the torqwrench, many people insists using it to install the barrel nut. But the specs are so wide ranged from 35flb to 80flb base on the gas tube notch, so I just use the old German method, "Gutentite", be sure stop before "Brokinoff".
    That's hilarious... but all too intimidating for a first time builder. Especially one who is a bit concerned I'll screw something up. I'll do my best to find the sweet spot...

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Using 12" long breaker bar, apply 30lbs of force, you got 30ftlb of torque.

The most troubled part for me is installing the gas tube to gas block.

I ended up bought a pack of 3/4" long 5/64" dia. Stainless spring pins from Grainger, much easier to work with than the stock sized ones. I just trim it of with a dremel afterwards.

I think these are 8 dollars for a pack of 25.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've decided to go ahead and do my first AR build. I have the parts, but I'm hesitant to begin until I know I have all the right tools. Could you help me with what is necessary and helpful? Does anyone offer a complete build tool kit? This is my first foray into this kind of a project. I don't want to go cheap, because I want to be able to take it apart, repair it, etc. if I need to.

I'll take all the input you can share...

Thanks!

We are fairly close. You are welcome to borrow my tools FOR A COUPLE DAYS at a time. They get homesick. :(
    I don't want to have to rack my brain wondering where I might have loaned them when I get a whim to change, tighten or install something.

If you choose to borrow, give me a heads up here in the thread and I'll send my digits. (You cannot reply to PM's until 50 posts.) You will need a bench vise of your own.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    We are fairly close. You are welcome to borrow my tools FOR A COUPLE DAYS at a time. They get homesick. :(
    I don't want to have to rack my brain wondering where I might have loaned them when I get a whim to change, tighten or install something.

If you choose to borrow, give me a heads up here in the thread and I'll send my digits. (You cannot reply to PM's until 50 posts.) You will need a bench vise of your own.

Thanks for the offer! Fortunately, I just had four boxes delivered today, with a torque wrench arriving Wednesday. With that, I think I'm all set. Thanks for the recommendations everyone...

Top Bottom