Experience with AR Build "Reaction Rod"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are far less expensive offerings available.
    I have one and it works very well.
    Trying to remember where I got it. Brain fart.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I'm curious how the device keeps the barrel from spinning. Could anyone explain this? And--do you all agree that this product takes better care of the upper than the block?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The design makes sense, keeping the torque load on the hard steel parts that are actually being adjusted, rather than the soft, thin aluminum housing that is just designed to keep everything in line.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does the synthetic BEV Block hold up as well as the splined steel rods? Is the cheaper rod the same as the expensive Geissele without the name?

I'm likely to spring for one of the above options. Been using a pinned upper receiver action block and cringing every time I torque a barrel.

What blocks/tools do you experienced folks use for torquing 9mm barrels?

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Does the synthetic BEV Block hold up as well as the splined steel rods? Is the cheaper rod the same as the expensive Geissele without the name?

I'm likely to spring for one of the above options. Been using a pinned upper receiver action block and cringing every time I torque a barrel.

Great Question--

I've read all kinds of different FT/LBS recommendations, and I've also seen "get it hand tight and just go one more notch with the wrench." Seems like there should be some more specific guidance out there...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The barrel wrenchs I have all lock firmly in my vice. This holds everything in place.
    Barrel in the upper and nut spun down hand tight. Put the barrel in the wrench holding the nut. The rod pretty much fills the upper like the BCG. Torque wrench applied properly and bingo.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

the bev block uses steel where it attaches into the barrel extension.
    ive never had an issue with the 2 I've used. Also you use your bolt Carrier in conjunction with the bev block for installing a barrel or rail or upper work. Then you flip it upside down in your vise and it's a mag block so you can work on your lower. Best bang for the buck.
    Also have used the geissele rod and its awkward. I like the bev block

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sold. Thank you sir!

I needed other parts on Midway's fast shipping schedule anyway and the Bev Block is on sale for $40.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    the bev block uses steel where it attaches into the barrel extension.
    ive never had an issue with the 2 I've used. Also you use your bolt Carrier in conjunction with the bev block for installing a barrel or rail or upper work. Then you flip it upside down in your vise and it's a mag block so you can work on your lower. Best bang for the buck.
    Also have used the geissele rod and its awkward. I like the bev block

The 1st time I used the rod it took some adjusting and getting used to. Now it is easy peasy.

I have a block as well and it has its uses.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wheeler makes several kits that can get even the under 50 guys over 50 with quality posts in a few hours. Alas, Wheeler charges money for their tools, so I may be talking out my ass here?

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I use the wheeler upper and lower vice blocks and they work great. Just installed a vg6 muzzle break Saturday with no problem. I'll be taking the muzzle break back off this weekend and adding a few more new parts I know I wasted a crush washer but I'll sacrifice one. Just got a lantac dragon muzzle break in the mail today and I'll be putting it on another build soon.

Top Bottom