• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    What Brand is the Barrel? If it's marked Wylde it should chamber either Round. Could be the Reamer was Dull/ incorrectly used when manufactured. Have you tried different brands of 5.56?

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    It's a fedarms upper. It's definitely a wylde. Clearly marked.
    Using milsurp I have stocked up

I did fire some .223 through it and functioned fine.

Leads me to believe the throat is too tight.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It's a fedarms upper. It's definitely a wylde. Clearly marked.
    Using milsurp I have stocked up

I did fire some .223 through it and functioned fine.

Leads me to believe the throat is too tight.
    \
    I've seen the same thing specifically with milsurp and wylde on a couple rifles.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, you can open up a chamber on a barrel with a tight chamber. Look up Clymer tools and rent a mil spec. finish reamer. Last one I rented was about $45.00 plus shipping. Of course if you bugger it, you bought it, probably right at $200. Be sure you have or can borrow the correct "T" handle for the tool. Even hand turning a reamer, I like to do it in a Lathe (power off) and use a live center in the tail stock to hold everything in the best alignment possible and avoid any chance of chatter.

Before you take away metal that cannot be put back, do some careful measuring of that cheapie ammo, and make sure it is within the maximum spec. If you over ream to accommodate out of spec ammo, you end up with a barrel that is out of spec for any other.

Since changing a barrel in an AR is easier than a set of spark plugs, and that ammo will not be top accuracy anyway, I would consider the suggestion to buy a cheap "blaster" quality barrel, and save my good barrel for more serious work in the future.

PS> I just saw that your uncle has a reamer........sounds like you are all set.

Last edited:

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Yes, you can open up a chamber on a barrel with a tight chamber. Look up Clymer tools and rent a mil spec. finish reamer. Last one I rented was about $45.00 plus shipping. Of course if you bugger it, you bought it, probably right at $200. Be sure you have or can borrow the correct "T" handle for the tool. Even hand turning a reamer, I like to do it in a Lathe (power off) and use a live center in the tail stock to hold everything in the best alignment possible and avoid any chance of chatter.

Before you take away metal that cannot be put back, do some careful measuring of that cheapie ammo, and make sure it is within the maximum spec. If you over ream to accommodate out of spec ammo, you end up with a barrel that is out of spec for any other.

Very good points. Thank you sir.

I've saved some spent brass and the jammed rounds to measure and compare. Gonna make a lot of measurements before I decide what to do.

Just have to find the time to do it now

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    How does it shoot .223 loads? I'm scratching my head over why you might ream out what could be a good barrel in order to shoot crap ammo. I see it ending up not shooting anything worth squat. :dunno:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What does the neck diameter on fired brass mic? What's the base-to-shoulder length coming out? Is it within spec?

Outlaw, I'd be happy to put some tooling on that ammo and chamber if you want to figure out what is really going on.

There is NO reason why a true Wylde wouldn't chamber 5.56x45 NATO. The chamber specs are so loose compared to an 855 round it's like a hotdog in a hallway.

As such, it's not a Wylde. Markings be damned, and reamer be damned. Overuse and/or too many sharpening trips.

-Nate

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    There is NO reason why a true Wylde wouldn't chamber 5.56x45 NATO. The chamber specs are so loose compared to an 855 round it's like a hotdog in a hallway.

As such, it's not a Wylde. Markings be damned, and reamer be damned. Overuse and/or too many sharpening trips.

This:yesway:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    1. If its a wylde it is DESIGNED to function with both .223 remington and 5.56nato.
    2. How many different types of ammo have you tried and are you using hand loaded ammunition?
    3. Is this a factory rifle or did you build this AR?

Top Bottom