M&P Tactile Reset Issue...is it an issue for you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    We've heard a lot of buzz over the past couple years about how the reset of the S&W M&P is....well to put it bluntly...Pathetic.

Randy had an epiphany the other night and created the RAM, Reset Assist Mechanism yesterday. It improves the felt reset of the trigger and is a drop in part that works with or without our other parts.

The prototype is complete and in our test gun. The machine shop is tooling up to make the production runs now and we should have parts available for release within the next month or so.

My question to all of you is, how importantis the tactile "click" of the reset?

Scott

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I really like being able to feel the reset for dryfire practice as well as other drills that go over the fundamentals.

If you made a part that makes it feel more like the reset of a Glock, I'd order said part for sure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I rather enjoy it when target shooting and in dry-fire practice.

The addition of your polished sear helped quite a bit, but under "rapid fire" shooting drills it's not always easy to feel. Something just a "little" more positive would be good, IMO.

Wouldn't have to be as "clicky" as a stock Glock, necessarily... But more-so than it is now would be nice.

And I volunteer myself to be a beta tester: M&P9c + Apex Tactical hard sear (factory polished). :D

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have 1x DCAEK in my M&P9mm full size and 1x COMP AEK in a M&P9mm Pro.

And of course, I would love to beta test :)

The reset is the only thing that bothers me about the M&P. I would buy 2 asap.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I put the Apex hard sear in my M&P 9, and it made a world of difference. I fired another guys weapon at a training class. I really liked the trigger design, but I could not feel the reset. I bought the firearm, and ordered and installed the Apex sear. The difference is amazing. The trigger pull improved dramatically, and the reset is MUCH improved. I am told that replacing the striker block with the Apex version will make it even better. I have the striker block, but have not installed it yet because you have to remove the rear sight, and I haven't had the time. IMO this is an excellent product, and goes a long way toward solving the issue.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Coming from Glock-land, the "limp" reset on the M&P is a BIG issue for me. For shooters coming over from other platforms, it probably wouldn't be nearly as problematic. Of all the M&Ps I've sold at the shop, I've had very few complaints about the reset. That says to me buyers either know about it going in and are willing to live with it, don't know any better because their experience level is low, or they just don't care.

FWIW.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'd like to see a more positive feeling reset for sure. My family of M&Ps would be that much better with a better, more positive feeling reset. If you guys could come up with a way to eliminate 90% of the pre-travel, that would be even better :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't think the problem with the M&P reset is the lack of a "click," but rather the wimpiness with which it returns. That's no big for someone who is a trigger slapper, but for people who ride the trigger, it's a problem. A stronger spring for the reset would help a lot more than the same wimpy reset with a "click." I have no idea how that could be accomplished without increasing the trigger pull, though.

I think this is why many Glock shooters have trouble with the M&P trigger. They're used to the trigger pushing their finger forward with more force.

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    @VUPDblue - We're working on a new trigger and trigger bar that will do exactly that for our M&P brethren.

@Rhino - At the moment the Apex DC Trigger Return spring helps with that, but it doesn't make it perfect.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm happy to hear about the trigger and bar. I have been playing with the idea of cutting and welding a small piece in an existing trigger bar to make it longer as an attempt to make the pre-travel shorter. If you guys come up with a drop-in fix, I will be in heaven. I already have Apex parts in all of my M&Ps (except for my newly acquired .45) and I am hugely satisfied. I even replaced the sear and plunger in my Pro with Apex parts.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I would be really interested in something that would make the reset more positive! I have a Apex sear in my Spec-Ops 9 and can not fell a reset at all.

Oh and I just ordered more parts for my newly acquired M&P. :D

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'd probably get one... I wouldn't call the lack of a click a problem, but a little more tactile response wouldn't hurt. Your sear and striker block certainly improved my M&P, and that is enough for me to seriously consider any of your other products.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Flork, what kind of timeframe are you guys looking at for this? What about the new Trigger and Trigger bar?

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    We're shooting for a release date before the end of October on the RAM.

We're hoping to unveil the trigger at Shot Show 2011 and as of yet, we don't have any further information on the trigger bar.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I'm happy to hear about the trigger and bar. I have been playing with the idea of cutting and welding a small piece in an existing trigger bar to make it longer as an attempt to make the pre-travel shorter. If you guys come up with a drop-in fix, I will be in heaven. I already have Apex parts in all of my M&Ps (except for my newly acquired .45) and I am hugely satisfied. I even replaced the sear and plunger in my Pro with Apex parts.

I put all apex parts in mine also--huge difference!! The pre travel is nasty though, I have had some of those same thoughts on pre travel. Need a fix for it.

My only concern is, I had someone tell me there could be legal issues if the firearm is involved in a self defense situation, and it has had trigger parts changed in it. ??? Do not know, but it would be nice to eliminate that pre travel. Been looking at it also. Let me know if you get a fix for it!!

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I see it like this.

If you have a rough/hard/crunchy or just bad trigger pull, you're not going to have the confidence to make a critical shot under pressure, therefore you're more likely to start pulling the trigger and doing 2 things: A) Missing; and as gun owners, we're responsible for every round launched out of our guns regardless of intent. B) Start shooting sooner due to lack of confidence in your ability to neutralize your target.

However, if you install a smooth 5.5lb trigger, train with it and become accustomed to that gun, you're likely to build your confidence in your ability to hit your target more quickly and accurately. Having that confidence may give you that extra second of hesitation to choose not to draw down on your target in that critical moment and might give you the opportunity to evade the confrontation rather than stand and fight because of your lack of confidence in your ability to hit your target every time.

As I see it, where you would get in trouble with a "light" trigger pull of modified gun, is when you're on the stand and the prosecutor asks you if you intended to shoot Mr. X attacker.....of coarse if you're not thinking and say, "Well No".... that might get you into some trouble.

If the safety values of the pistol are maintained and the shooter does his/her job of keeping their finger off the trigger until they're actively engaging a target, there should be no question about the trigger pull weight or other modifications to the gun.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the topic.

Top Bottom