• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxshep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Decided to do some stippling to add texture to two of my polymer pistols... Sig Pro SP2022 9mm and Kahr PM9 9mm.

Process used; using various bits on a $15 wood burner, patiently (it will be rewarded) dimpled the surface of the area intended to add texture. If desired, go over finished grip with sand paper.

Practiced on the empty abandoned Sig case, then moved onto my Ka-Bar TDI knife...

Before:
    ab7f1fc5.jpg

After:
    dd96bada.jpg

Magazines extensions for the Sig SP2022 and Kahr PM9...

Before:
    dfdf7470.jpg

After:
    22891f99.jpg

In between:
    cd21e5bf.jpg

Kahr PM9...

Before:
    cf54b3bc.jpg

After:
    d3e47a68.jpg

In between (Top complete, bottom still stock) w/ completed magazine:
    82b8661d.jpg

Added some texture to the back:
    2d2cd483.jpg

Sig Pro SP2022 9mm...

Before:
    d66ee00b.jpg

58747bdc.jpg

After:
    e8b00077.jpg

d836fadc.jpg

fbae8f44.jpg

b908bfc9.jpg

I had intended on just getting tape, but figured if I screw up the stippling royally to the point of no return (doubtful), I'd get Decal Grips. I feel like the stippling provides a much deeper, grip-able (?) texture than any tape I've seen... and when the final product is sanded down, it's not rough at all.

Overall, I'm very happy with the ending results... I feel like I have a much better purchase on the Sig Pro, and the Kahr feels a bit better than the stock texture. The Ka-Bar was intended for practice but it turned out very well, IMO. Total process took about and hour and a half to do three magazine extensions, two pistols and one knife. My only regret is using the chisel tip on the bottom of the Sig's trigger guard, and not the dot like in the rear beavertail area that I made.

And as a general disclaimer.... I have no intentions of selling either of these pistols, so I don't care about the "I'd never do that, it hurts resale value" comments (which may or may not be true). I've seen prices as high as $120 for a full grip stippling job from some gunsmiths, so obviously the market is there for the right buyers. 90% of why I did this was for functionality and to make the pistol perform better in hot/cold/wet conditions where sweat, water or fatigue could hurt performance.... though 10% of me says that it turned out pretty well, compared to other rushed stippling jobs I've seen. These are my "go-to-war guns", not safe queens or ones that I intend to sell.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Very nice job! I like how you done them differently than most I've seen and done. Had you seen stippling like that elsewhere, or is that your idea? It looks very nice on your pistols, matches the other texture well. Excellent work!

sxshep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    This is the kit I have, pretty much ... bought it like 10 years ago, so not sure what brand.

GetImage.aspx

For pretty much everything (except the backstrap of the Sig), I used the tip that is in the burner pictured above... I tried to match the front texture on the front of the Sig, and for the back I used the middle pointed tip to try and match the grip texture.

For the Kahr and the magazines, I used the chisel tip as well... I tried checkering on the Kahr grips like I did on the Ka-Bar, but it didn't turn out as well as i wanted. I may go back over it with the sharp dot tip, but I like how the checkering feels.

Most of the stuff I had seen was either dimples/dots or lines, like I had used under the trigger guard. I just didn't want to go hog wild and go too quickly or too deep. I may go over the Kahr some more but the Sig is right about where I want it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Nice job! and your balls are bigger than mine, cause I would be to afraid that I would royally mess things up!

I really like the way the Sig turned out!:yesway:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    NICE WORK ! I did my G23 with a 40 watt soldering iron. It is a bit more aggressive texture than yours, but I like it. The thought of hurting resale didn't bother me either as I will likely never sell or trade it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Looks good.

Waiting on a range report...

specifically if, after shooting several rounds, if you think that stippling the "beaver tail" region was a good idea or not.

-J-

sxshep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I'm hoping to make it to the range some time in the next week or so, I'll update then to see how much difference it makes.

I've been wanting to save up all my ammo, take a day off work, and really see what this Sig Pro is made of by running it through a few reliability tests... and hopefully, with muddy/wet/cold hands, this new texture on the grip will make a difference. Even shooting in heat with sweaty hands was kinda difficult on rapid follow-up shots.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    very interesting! I like the texture more than the normal small point dots! Not sure if I would have the guts to do that on my Glock just cause I'd be way to worried to screw it up! I'll have to get something a little less expensive to test it on like a grip extension :) well done!

Top Bottom