• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    I bought a used Sig Sauer P226 in .40 S&W last night. It is my first Sig and i don't know much about them other than they are supposed to be really reliable.

I did an hour or so of research online last night and and from what i can tell i got a decent deal. Came with 5 magazines and 300 misc rounds of ammo.

i don't know how old the gun is. It appears to have never or very seldom been holstered (no holster marks) and there is not much if any visible wear on the slide, barrel and frame.

I was unable to find a serial to manufacturing year list. Anyone know what year a U611XXX would have been made?

It appears to be a classic style with no rail (just says P226 on the slide).

I am in the market for a leather holster now, but i am not sure which manufacturer to go with. Any preferences? Should i just wait for the Indy1500 and get a holster there?

Any tips or tid-bits of information are appreciated for a first time Sig owner!

J10Sig.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    congrats! I loved my 226 and love my 2022. IIRC there is a way to tell the relative age by determining whether the slide is cast or machined I think they switched around 86.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County

nice find!
    i love my sigs !
    I use leather holsters for my guns i like both bianchi and galco both have several models that the 226 fits and i think they both have a easy to use system to find what holsters fit you gun online!
    O and i beleive that most sigs are more happy well oiled!

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    O and i beleive that most sigs are more happy well oiled!
    Thanks, I was just getting ready to give it a thorough cleaning, I will keep her well oiled.

Nice find. If you want to know a little more about when your Sig was made you can go to Sig forum's serial number list and try to find yours (P220 - P225 - P226 - P228 - P229 - P230 - P232 - P239 - P245 Serial Number List and associated manufacture/import years - Topic Powered by Social Strata), or you could call Sig customer service, however, I know in the past they use to charge people for the information so you may want to check out the link first.
    Thanks for the link! Looks like it is a 1998.

I was just browsing the a_good_holster_that_holds_the_gun_close thread and came across the link to Blade Tech. I really like some of there Loopers Series of leather holsters.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    nice choice!
    +1 on SIG FORUM. good source for information. but i think you cannot sign up with a yahoo, gmail or hotmail account. fyi.

you've got the bug now, betcha can't own just one!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got a few. I'm definitely a fan.

Oh, Google "Flork's Guide to SIG Lubrication". Some great info on how to make your Sig run 100%.

Last edited:

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    great weapons, I have one in 9mm and I love it. I have a hard time even picking another brand up to try now.

I have an iwb holster in black leather that appears to be for a non railed model (mine has the rail) pm me if you would like to look at it.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    great weapons, I have one in 9mm and I love it. I have a hard time even picking another brand up to try now.

I have an iwb holster in black leather that appears to be for a non railed model (mine has the rail) pm me if you would like to look at it.

I am interested in that holster. Sounds like what i am looking for. Unfortunately i just tried to send you a PM and it said i need 15 posts to do so. Could you send me a PM?

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks for all of the congrats and tips everyone!

The lubrication guides that two of you suggested make perfect since. Me being a machinist i am ashamed of not thinking of it before! The "Philosophy: If metal rubs metal, it needs grease between the parts." is exactly what i have been doing with machinery for years. The only parts that get oil are the ones that don't move very much or have a constant supply of oil (an oil cup, feed system, etc.). If it moves a lot and doesn't have a supply of oil it gets grease.

Thanks

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I'm a Sig fan as well. Sigs and Rugers- tell me that isn't a weird combo. LOL

Thought you'd like a link to a good guide on lubing the rails!

Congrads!

Lubrication of Sig Sauer pistol rails Will Work For Ammo – Apex Tactical Specialties

Hey, that's my article!! :D Thanks for posting the link Demo.

Congrats on the new purchase. The 6xx serial number are made within the last 4-5 years, they're great guns and will run forever.

If you have any technical issues or want information on how the trigger can be improved, let me know.

Scott

Hkpower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Congrats on your purchase! I have owned Sigs for years and love em all! If your looking for extremely comfortable conceal holster I recommend Cross Breed Supertuck. I carry my 220 every day and barely tell its there

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Doh, there for a second I thought Flork had relocated to Indiana! Nuts, I coulda asked for some help shortening the trigger reset on my X-Five AR...

Sorry bro, I'm pretty much gonna be here on the West Coast for life.....unless things change...which they might.

Sig-Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Columbus
    I love Sigs, cant tell from my user name can you? Here is a list of what I own. Also i pefer the older West German guns.

P6
    P225 (2)
    P226
    P228
    P229
    P230
    P239 (my carry gun in 40 cal)

Top Bottom