Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backup gun: Revolver or Semi Auto?

I sincerely hope I'm not crossing the line of friendly discussion to heated debate, but I've had a question nagging at my mind for some time now, and I have to ask. I know there are pros and cons to both, but in experience, which provides a better all around back up weapon: a semi-auto, or a revolver?
    "Disarm the people - that is the best and most effective way to ENSLAVE them"

Personal preference. Whichever YOU would feel more comfortable with.
    Lost? Try GPS.
    God's Plan for Salvation.

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Master
    What LoveMachine said. What fits your needs. One caliber is usually a good idea.
    Handgun control is using both hands.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine46147 View Post
    Personal preference. Whichever YOU would feel more comfortable with.
    Good advise. Also, depends on the mission. Your reference to a back up gun would indicate that you are carrying a main weapon. In this case the back up gun would serve in a case where you were disarmed or some other catastrophic event happened where the main gun was no longer an option. At this point, fighting for you life, trying to be too cute could be disastrous. Immediate access, speed, and accuracy are paramount. Whether it be pocket carry, ankle holster, or some other form of back up, I'd recommend something that doesn't take unnecessary motor skills, reducing the sequence to draw, point, and fire your weapon of sufficient caliber to stop the fight. Just my .02 cents, I'm sure you'll get a zillion recommendations on the best gun. Like most of us, you'll figure it out by trial and error.

If I carry a semi auto as a primary I tend to carry a semi auto as a BUG, with revolvers I tend to carry a revolver. No real reason to do it that way...just the way I do it.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Plinker
    If it makes sense chose a smaller version of the primary weapon.

I carry a S&W 642 Airweight 38spl in a Galco Ankle Glove holster. Very fast draw from ankle while in my car, don't have seat belt, etc in the way.

The same caliber statements makes sense too, however I carry a 45acp. Thought about a small auto instead of my S&W, but change=doom...right?

Answer = Yes.
    Email: Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Quote Originally Posted by chevy2 View Post
    If it makes sense chose a smaller version of the primary weapon.

This, especially for those with a Glock for a primary (or other semi auto where the smaller models can accommodate the mag from the larger primary, carry the compact or subcompact of the same caliber, and be able to share mags, etc.

If it's possible for a revolver I would do the same with models of gun that can share speed loaders, etc.

I actually prefer small j frame backups. Easier to maintain control in a FUT (F*ucked up tangle) and will not jam like an auto would. Now if they consistently would make one in 9mm.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast