• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • npbrownf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Im new into guns and dont know much. Is Kel-Tec a reliable brand or is it considered to be cheap.:patriot:

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    some of the older models can be considered cheep but the newer ones are reliable. I carry a P3-AT every day and so does most of the guys who work the shop. I Think my customers have used my gun as much as I have in the range and never had one comment as far as FTF. We have a regular patron who bought a sub 2000 and shoots it every week and not one problem so far. So I would call them reliable for the most part. Some of the early production P11 and p32 had a bunch of feeding problems so keep this in mind if your looking at used ones.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    It depends on what you will be using the gun for. I carry a PF-9 in 9mm for a pocket pistol and yes some like them and others do not. Good entry level gun if that's all you can afford till later and more money comes your way. Good warranty and the need to be kept clean is important along with at least 500 rounds through it to be dependable before carry use. Most important question is how it feels and fits in your hand as with any pistol selection. Price doesn't make one pistol better than another as you will find out in the future. Go out to gun shops or gun shows and talk to different people to get information (in front of as well as behind the counter) on the different makes and models to make your decision to find the best gun for you. Good luck in your choice. The Kel-Tec Range

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I have carried "ole blue" around for years daily on my farm and everywhere except to school.
    No FTF, FTE even with all the pocket lint, dirt, debris, chaff, sweat and whatever else accumulates on a gun carried whereever except during the school day.
    I do have the clip on it and carry mostly insided waist band. Will kick around when sitting in an easy chair, otherwise, on the tractor, in the truck, in a saddle, at work, it stays where it belongs. But I do carry in the back pocket and boot top depending on event.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Keltec: because poor people need guns too ;)

I find it funny some people blast keltecs for being POS and yet rave about their ruger LCP (clone of the p32/p3at).

Keltecs are decent guns for what they are. Do NOT make the mistake of thinking they are a combat grade firearm. Recognize them for what they are and make your decision based upon that.

I've got a p32 that has been great (I still wouldn't trust my life to it unless all the money I had in the world was $225), it sits in the safe. I had a p3at that took a few trips back to keltec before I sold it and I had a P11 that was the biggest POS. EVER. Yeah getting thru school and the lean years made me desperate for inexpensive, small carry guns.

I've still got a PLR16 that only eats brass cased ammo, but is a blast to shoot. Jamomatic on wolf... Jamomatic as in every other steel cased round will stick in the chamber, at least, poly, zinc coated, doesn't matter.

If I could only use one word to full encapsulate every aspect of a keltec firearm? Cheap.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Do not buy the first gen of any model.

Do learn what fluff-and-buff means. See KTOG.

Do not expect a "range gun" with a great trigger. The pistols are "carry" guns. Shoot it enough to be accurate and proficient. Don't expect to find 100-200 round range visits to resemble anything approaching fun.

Do not be afraid to send a finicky one back to the factory.

They can be inexpensive, reliable guns. I've got a P3AT in my hip pocket now.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I own a Kel - Tec P32. Did not work right out of the box. Was
    shipped with a bad mag. release. I had to send it into Kel - Tec
    for repair, with out a shot being fired. They did a great job of
    fixing it, and it is now a good reliable pistol. Problem is, it took
    eight weeks and I am out the ship to fee.
    Two buddies had to send their P-11's in, with less than 150
    rounds through them. I can only tell you what I see.
    I have no idea what their return rate is, but I expect it might
    be on the high side.
    Good Luck

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I have owned four of them. No problems! Don't expect to shoot 2" groups at 25yds or thousands of rounds through them. They are up close and personal guns. Keep them clean and lubed and they will serve you well!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've had a good experience with my P3AT. I got it used, and I've put a few hundred rounds through it since then. It doesn't like all HP ammo, but I've never had a problem with FMJ or with Fiocchi HP.

I would recommend it to anyone, especially someone who wants to carry all the time, every day, everywhere.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    KTOG Forum - Index
    decent guns, customer service is either amazing, or worthless. They aren't big on email, but if you give em a call, great group of people.

A bit socially inept though, IMO. At least the guy I talked with.

The warranty was good, IMO. I had to use mine on my Sub2k, but the gun was back within three weeks of them receiving it. I didnt have any problems with my first Sub2k until the frame cracked (kind of a big problem!). The new one I received back has had two FTEs, but I was shooting kind of a soft load through it, and it hasnt been properly broken in, so I dont blame the gun to much. Just be sure to run 500 rounds or so through it before you get confident in the gun. If you have more than a few FTEs or FTFs, send it back. Sure you are out the $10 shipping, but they will fix it on up. Be sure to include a letter simply asking them to "Do whatever they can to improve upon the gun". They sent my new one back with a letter stating they also lightened the trigger, polished the feed ramp, and sighted the gun in. The trigger does feel better then my old one, but the sights were not zero. No big deal though.

All in all, I would buy another KelTec, provided they were filling some sort of niche I wanted, even if it is just a new fun gun. I wouldnt buy a KelTec because they are amazing guns and everyone should have one, nor would I buy one over another brand with similar offerings, provided I could afford that other brand.

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    ive had my pf-9 for over a year now and its been great so far....doesnt get shot a whole lot but it hasnt failed me yet.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    A bit socially inept though, IMO. At least the guy I talked with.

The warranty was good, IMO. I had to use mine on my Sub2k, but the gun was back within three weeks of them receiving it. I didnt have any problems with my first Sub2k until the frame cracked (kind of a big problem!). The new one I received back has had two FTEs, but I was shooting kind of a soft load through it, and it hasnt been properly broken in, so I dont blame the gun to much. Just be sure to run 500 rounds or so through it before you get confident in the gun. If you have more than a few FTEs or FTFs, send it back. Sure you are out the $10 shipping, but they will fix it on up. Be sure to include a letter simply asking them to "Do whatever they can to improve upon the gun". They sent my new one back with a letter stating they also lightened the trigger, polished the feed ramp, and sighted the gun in. The trigger does feel better then my old one, but the sights were not zero. No big deal though.

All in all, I would buy another KelTec, provided they were filling some sort of niche I wanted, even if it is just a new fun gun. I wouldnt buy a KelTec because they are amazing guns and everyone should have one, nor would I buy one over another brand with similar offerings, provided I could afford that other brand.
    are you on KTOG too?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I've had my P-11 for a while now, and I have found it to be completely reliable. Even when the ejector was broken, it still cycled and ejected while firing. (the gun was used when I bought it, and had unknown # of rounds through it). Since replacing the ejector, I have not had a problem with it. Essentially, no problems with reliability for the 1000+ rounds through it. I'm a fan. Not a combat firearm, for sure, but it is great at what it is intended to be. An inexpensive, reliable and easy-to-conceal firearm.

Top Bottom