• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Look at the 2011. I do think there will be some "Anniversary" editions, but I dont think it will be as played up as it should. Its hard to think it is 100 years old and really hasnt changed much. That is an amazing feat.

I do kind of want to get a 2011 or some sort of Anniversary gun. I think it would have potential to be a collectible piece in 50 years or so. An interesting gun to pass down to the next generation.

bk1330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Jeffersonville,IN
    There is already a 100 year anniversary gun on gunbroker and as of last night it was up to $82,000 plus. I haven't looked at it today I think it was what colt had at the shot show like a prototype for this year so I guess it would be number 1. Apparently there is a whole lot of people with more money than me because last time I looked 176 people were bidding on it. I also think ruger will release one this year they are suppose to be releasing a new pistol on there websight today or tommorrow so keep your eyes open.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    It would sure be nice if someone came out with one that wasn't in limited numbers. I think it would be fun to have a commemorative centennial 1911, but I don't want to shell out huge bucks for it. I am not looking for an "investment gun".

Stnmikita

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Kimber appears to have the nicest offering I've seen so far.

It saddens me greatly that the originator of the brand is doing what appears to be a p#$$ poor job of commemorating it's 100th ann.

Their website has a fancy, engraved, ivory gripped, Sam Colt scrimshawed, single edition that will probably sell at auction for a gazillion dollars (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Portals/0/panels/1911 ANV I Description.pdf) which actually looks pretty nice, but again, they are only making one of them, then they have the currently available for bidding on Gunbroker monstrosity (IMO) that is already up to $82k or so (Factory Engraved 100th Anniversary Colt 1911 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com), and lastly some sort of very plain jane looking 1911 with cheesy gold script that honestly looks like it rolled out of the Franklin Mint with a set of Princess Diana commemorative china plates (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Portals/0/panels/Colt-100.pdf).

I sure hope they come up with something better, otherwise, a plain old 2011 edition of something may just be the best overall option.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    and lastly some sort of very plain jane looking 1911 with cheesy gold script that honestly looks like it rolled out of the Franklin Mint with a set of Princess Diana commemorative china plates (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Portals/0/panels/Colt-100.pdf).

I sure hope they come up with something better, otherwise, a plain old 2011 edition of something may just be the best overall option.

LMAO!

When I read that my first thought was "I bet it looks like that crap they sell in the NRA magazine". Yup, it does.

I agree, I would like to see a regular 1911 made in normal quantities, sold for a normal price, that just has the year tastefully imprinted on it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Not a special 100th year anniversary edition, but to celebrate the genius of John Browning, I bought my first 1911 yesterday Jan 2nd. I walked out of Gander Mountain with a brand new Kimber Desert Warrior II in my eager little hands. America rocks!! :rockwoot:

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    ...It saddens me greatly that the originator of the brand is doing what appears to be a p#$$ poor job of commemorating it's 100th ann.
    Their website has a fancy, engraved, ivory gripped...yada, yada, yada...

Sorry to spoil your little Colt bash but they do have a third choice which is based on the WWI re-pro. It has some modified rollmarks commemorating the anniversary and is low-key but tasteful and is at the bottom of this pdf. http://www.coltsmfg.com/Portals/0/panels/Colt-100.pdf It has Also been said that they will mark all 1911s made in 2011 with some anniversary script similar to "1911-2011".
    I did some anniversary work myself by having some mods done to some grips of mine.

WWI (Carbonia Blue) Click to enlarge

WWI_2011GRP_CLOSE12410.jpg

Close-up of the grips on the WWI 1911 above.

Ahrends grips modified with Colt emblem and 100th Anniversary script Click to enlarge

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    :rolleyes:

Colt put 1 out.....would have to sell my house and land for this!!!!
    Factory Engraved 100th Anniversary Colt 1911 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

That pistol is a one-off that is being auctioned for hunting and gun related CHARITIES not to make Colt money.

LMAO!
    When I read that my first thought was "I bet it looks like that crap they sell in the NRA magazine". Yup, it does.
    I agree, I would like to see a regular 1911 made in normal quantities, sold for a normal price, that just has the year tastefully imprinted on it.

Colt's 01911VIII is at a "normal" price and made in "normal" quantities. See the Colt pdf linked above.

A little searching would really help some on here find out what is REALLY going on. :dunno:

Last edited:

Stnmikita

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Sorry to spoil your little Colt bash but they do have a third choice which is based on the WWI re-pro. It has some modified rollmarks commemorating the anniversary and is low-key but tasteful and is at the bottom of this pdf.

Hey, thanks for spoiling 'my little Colt bash'. Party pooper.

This third option Colt would be the best version that they are offering IMO. I do find it unfortunate that Kimber seems to be providing a better (accessible to the average person, sort of) higher-end option than Colt. Then again, Colt has never been the best at commemorative pieces, as evidenced by their value appreciation over time, although they sure aren't shy about producing them. I think I saw a Colt INGO 1911 run on Gunbroker a few months back.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I like the Wilson version, even if I'd have put differenent script on the slide. There as many of the true custom builders out there that have their versions of a 100th anniv. tribute gun available. Some are handbuilt to the original specs (VERY expensive, as some of the original parts need to be reproduced by hand), and some are totally to the other end of the spectrum, with every bell and whistle that can be stuffed into or onto the pistol included. I willing to bet there is something out there to fit everyone's taste...unless you're one of those tasteless GLOCK fans... :) )

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    It's hard to imagine this gun being purchased as an investment but then again if that many people are bidding then there must be more out there that would be willing to shell out even more than the final bidding price.

Top Bottom