• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I bought a 20-year-old blued Beretta 21A in .25ACP last December, and just added a two-tone .22LR version to my collection. Thought I'd share the pics and give a mini-review.

These pistols are small, and admittedly underpowered for self-defense, so I don't intend this to be yet another thread arguing about whether .22 and .25 are adequate, etc. Although it's true that a .22 beats nothing, suffice it to say that I carry something much larger under most circumstances. Still, I find that these pistols are fun to plink with and reasonable for carrying in the woods or whatnot.

Here are the two pistols:
    IMG_4466.jpg

Closeups of the blued .25:

IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg

Closeups of the two-tone .22:

IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg

Fit and finish are excellent on both pistols. The .25 was manufactured in 1991 and seems to have spent most of its time in a safe or desk drawer. It's unfortunate that Beretta doesn't offer an old-school blued finish like this anymore; it's quite pretty, and on this pistol at least, I prefer it to the matte coating that is often described as "blued". I purchased the .22 new and have fired 100 rounds through it. I kind of like the two-tone finish, although I've only ever seen this version at Gander Mountain. Elsewhere I've usually seen the matte finish, and I believe there is an inox version that gives the appearance of a stainless frame, although I have read that the frame is not actually stainless, it's just coated or plated with a finish that matches the stainless barrel.

The Bobcat feels like a real pistol in my hand and points naturally. It's certainly not a heavy pistol, but is more comfortable and substantial than most of the pocket .380s I've handled. (BTW, I think the NAA Guardian is an exception...it also has a more substantial, high-quality feel.)

These pistols function quite well. I did have two failures to feed on the first magazine of the .22; after that it runs smoothly and the single-action trigger pull is crisp. I've fired 40 rounds through the .25 without any malfunctions, although I don't know its total round count.

I am surprised at how accurate these little pistols are. With the .22, I was able to shoot a 1.5-inch group in single action at 7 yards using the sights. Drawing quickly and firing without using the sights, I'm still able to easily keep the rounds in a reasonable pie-plate sized COM zone at 7 yards, without any practice. Again, I'd rather have my .40/9mm/.38+P, or at least my .32NAA, but 8 rounds of CCI Velocitors or Stingers sure beats a pocketknife, and it would be possible to take small game with this pistol at opportunity during a walk in the woods. I think either version would provide a good defense against coyotes or threatening dogs in the woods as well.

I used to have the Tomcat (model 3032) in .32ACP and liked the pistol a lot. I kind of wish I still had it, as I was able to shoot it more accurately than most other pocket guns. I really wonder why Beretta has not joined the club with a pocket .380. The Cheetah is a very nice pistol--I think some would say the best .380 out there--but not pocketable. If Beretta decided to make a .380 with the same form factor as the Bobcat/Tomcat, I would definitely buy one. There's just something classy about these little Berettas!

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    I have the .22 and .25 I like them both. Had 1 stovepipe in the .22 but ran another 50 rnds with no problem. Fit very nice in my pants pocket...8 rounds of .22/.25 in an attackers face ,will ruin there day.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I bought one of the Taurus remakes of those pistols for my girlfriend; the PT-22. She likes it. Its small, easily pocketable, and best of all it has that tip up barrel.

She has a hard time racking a slide, so having that tip-up lets her load her own gun without help.

Accuracy is decent, reliability is pretty good as long as it is kept clean. Haven't shot one of the little Berettas, but if it shoots anything like the Taurus, its a keeper. :)

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I used to have one of the old, single-action .25's, the 950BS. Sold it in a moment of weakness. Got one of the matte blue 21A's in .22LR and it lives in my truck console for whatever purposes I might need it for...lol

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I just scored a new in box Beretta Tomcat INOX for $279 - I can;t wait to shoot it!!!!!!!!!

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the overview and your initial opinions! I've been looking at this as I like the idea of a .22 that I can both plink with, but is also small enough for pocket carry if the need arises.

I second the thought on the need of a pocket .380 from Beretta. I like my full sized px4 and would like to stick with the line, but the 'subcompact' is pretty bulky for a summer carry.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I used to have one of the old, single-action .25's, the 950BS. Sold it in a moment of weakness. Got one of the matte blue 21A's in .22LR and it lives in my truck console for whatever purposes I might need it for...lol

I have a BERETTA 950 JETFIRE 25 ACP, it has never jammed, for self defence I have GLASER rounds, This is an excellent tiny gun to carry:rockwoot:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Thanks for the overview and your initial opinions! I've been looking at this as I like the idea of a .22 that I can both plink with, but is also small enough for pocket carry if the need arises.
    I decided to try the .22 with CCI Velocitor ammunition today...this is probably the closest thing to "self-defense ammo" in .22LR. These are hot little rounds and functioned smoothly in the pistol when it was clean, but they do not seem to tolerate a dirty chamber/feed ramp as well as the round-nose MiniMags. I fired 50 rounds and starting having some FTFs once the pistol was dirty. Since the pistol has no extractor, clearing a jam is a time-consuming operation...very bad news in a self-defense situation. But I have found this to be the case with pocket autos generally, which is why I keep mine sparkling clean, and why I often prefer my S&W 442 revolver for its reliability.

The closest thing to a Tomcat/Bobcat level of quality in a pocket .380 that I have found is the NAA Guardian. I have the .32NAA version (.380 necked down to a .32 for greater penetration) and have found it to be reliable and accurate enough for its purpose...especially with Crimson Trace grips. The .380 version is the same size, and I think either is an excellent choice for pocket carry. However, they are DAO, which makes them less fun for plinking...although more consistent to shoot, which is probably better in a self-defense pistol.

Others have recommended the Sig P238 as the best pocket .380--but I just can't get comfortable with the idea of a cocked-and-locked single-action trigger with NO grip safety, riding in a pocket holster. Seems too risky to me. And, of course, there are all of the current crop of polymer .380s, which are nice and light, but just don't do it for me in terms of appearance.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom