1911's everywhere! Which one did you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I've been looking to get a handgun (originally it was for concealed carry personal protection, but my priority has shifted some). I see all kinds of companies have some 1911 variant. So I have some questions.

Will most/all 1911 accessories work with most/all 1911 variants regardless of who actually made it? Such as holsters, grips, sights, magazines, etc.

Which company did you (or would you) buy from and why? Kimber seems to be popular, but expensive.

I'm also leaning towards a 9mm version just to save a little on ammo, so keep that in mind.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I've been looking to get a handgun (originally it was for concealed carry personal protection, but my priority has shifted some). I see all kinds of companies have some 1911 variant. So I have some questions.

Will most/all 1911 accessories work with most/all 1911 variants regardless of who actually made it? Such as holsters, grips, sights, magazines, etc.

Which company did you (or would you) buy from and why? Kimber seems to be popular, but expensive.

I'm also leaning towards a 9mm version just to save a little on ammo, so keep that in mind.

When it comes to 1911s typically you get what you pay for and in 9mm Kimber is 1 of the best.I picked up a para in 9 mm and commander length recently and it is a vary nice package.I got it for my wife but I have fired it more than her.the low recoil and fact ammo is cheep make it a real +.if I were getting another in 9mm it would be a Kimber or Colt.they now make the defender in 9mm.your 2nd question most mags,grips and bolsters fit government and commander size guns and then there are the officer,ultra,defender size guns and grips

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There is so much to choose from in 1911s; it might help to have an idea of what you want to do with it. I have a couple, but not to CC; just too heavy and big.

I use my for target shooting and that's all. I have other (not 1911) .45s that are better carry pistols. I have an RIA 1911 Tactical and it shoots as well as some $900 pistols. I paid $400.:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    The two things I intend on doing with it most often is: 1. Just plinking around. I understand that there are apparently tons of .22 conversions for 1911 for this purpose/reason. And 2. The club I belong to will soon be starting a pistol league, in which I'll be hopefully using the same gun in the 9mm version.

Lastly I do intend to on occasion (rarely) carry it for protection. I may or may not go with a compact version for this purpose. I figure even with it's large size, if I feel like I might need to carry it for whatever reason, I'll simply adjust my wardrobe to compensate.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I've heard complaints about the reliability of the .22 conversion kits.

I love my Kimber Pro CDP and would recommend it to anyone. I can't wait until I'm off duty so I can leave the plastic brick of a gun my dept makes me carry at home and put a real gun on my hip:D

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Instead of a .22 conversion, you may want to look into a GSG 1911. The price difference between a conversion and the GSG is minimal.

As far as a centerfire 1911, a RIA or ATI 1911 would be a great way to start with .45. 9mm 1911s are real sweet shooters, but I don't have any recommendations that are much less than $800.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I love my Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II, a little expensive but worth it. I originally bought it for target shooting but after carrying it for a few days I got really use to it.

Its not that heavy and and I shoot better with the Kimber than I do my XDSC.40.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have two 1911s. My favorite of the two is a stainless Kimber Compact (pre-Series II). The gun is extremely accurate and has been suitably reliable. My other 1911 is a Springfield Mil-Spec. Within every Mil-Spec there is a very good gun, but sometimes it does not come that way out of the box. And sometimes it does. Mine had feeding problems, accuracy problems, and an out-of-spec insanely heavy trigger pull. A trip back to Springfield turned it into a very respectable hand gun. The trigger pull is now very good, reliability is excellent, and accuracy is good but somewhere still slightly below the Kimber.

I like the 1911 platform better than any other that I own. Have fun selecting and shooting yours.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Captain Bligh is right. Many times a 1911 could use a tune up right out of the box. I bought a brand new National Match Gold Cup that was just ok, after having a good gunsmith refit the barrel/link/bushing, and doing a trigger job it was a fine pistol. I took delivery of a Para Ordinance P14.45 LIMITED the same day that my Springfield Target Match finally was off back order. The Para outshot the Springfield Target gun. The dovetail in the Springfield was too loose and the rear sight slid off the first day. As soon as I went to change the grips, the grip bushings on one side came out, they had never been properly staked. Sending it back to Springfiled cleared up the issues and the addition of a KART barrel made a fine shooter out of it. (pretty bad for a premium priced pistol that is sold as a target model)

Once you get above the bargain basement 1911's they are usually decent pistols. Do not limit yourself to only decent. The potential of a 1911 design is top shelf, but not many pistols are tuned to that level out of the box. Most of the moderate to high end 1911's are pretty good, but they still respond well to quality tuning.

I have seen a Norinco completely rebuilt and made into a great pistol. The trouble is, when you go to sell it, even if you put $1000 of work into it, it is still a low line pistol in the market place.

My advice, if your budget allows you to comfortably buy a $650 1911, save your money until you can buy a $1000 one. It will be a tough wait, but you will be happier and money ahead in the long run. Plus if you decide to sell it, a top grade pistol is worth a lot more money.

sonofadoublegun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    NW - near Munster
    I was looking at "entry level" 1911's for a loooong time when I stumbled into an awesome deal on a Kimber Custom II (admittedly entry level for the Kimber line). Apparently it had been sitting in the case for a long time, and I got a deal that I thought was more than fair.

I LOVE it. Runs 98% reliably (hey - its a range toy! :) ) and I shoot it better than any other gun I own.

I don't know if that helps, but there it is. LOL
    SODG

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with lawrra on conversions. Once I started shopping it did not take long to figure out it was better deal to just buy another pistol. I also got the GSG 1911; it has proven to be a great pistol.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Man I can't agree more with this statement; however, it's a rare way of thinking here on INGO and is generally followed with "how am I supposed to protect my babies while saving, what if there are vampires, I have to buy food, and just got laid off!?"

Smart man.

I just saved up and purchased a super carry custom:
    (not my photo, I am picking mine up tomorrow - took 8 weeks to build)
    attachment.php

My advice, if your budget allows you to comfortably buy a $650 1911, save your money until you can buy a $1000 one. It will be a tough wait, but you will be happier and money ahead in the long run. Plus if you decide to sell it, a top grade pistol is worth a lot more money.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have always had good luck with the mid range 1911's, Springfield GI's, Rock Islands, that new Remington R1 is nice looking. I still have my older Colt, it shoots great. If I were to go buy one today it would either be a Springfield Range Officer or a Remington R1. My :twocents:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I have all different 1911 makers & models, but I love my DETONICS SCOREMASTER:rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Which company did you (or would you) buy from and why?

DETONICS, specifically the CombatMaster models/variants

I have them in 9mm, 38 Super, 45acp and 451 Magnum

As for why, well because they innovated more design improvements and changes to the 1911 than anyone other than John Browning himself. With 31 patents related to the 1911, most high grade pistols actually utilize Detonics patents in their designs from being the first company to develop a stainless steel autoloader that doesn't gall; the first company to build a reliable production compact 1911; multiple recoil springs; captured recoils springs; to bushingless barrels; loaded magazine indicators, etc etc etc

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    DETONICS, specifically the CombatMaster models/variants

I have them in 9mm, 38 Super, 45acp and 451 Magnum

As for why, well because they innovated more design improvements and changes to the 1911 than anyone other than John Browning himself. With 31 patents related to the 1911, most high grade pistols actually utilize Detonics patents in their designs from being the first company to develop a stainless steel autoloader that doesn't gall; the first company to build a reliable production compact 1911; multiple recoil springs; captured recoils springs; to bushingless barrels; loaded magazine indicators, etc etc etc

You won't believe how accurate my DETONICS SCOREMASTER is:rockwoot:

Top Bottom