• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Received delivery of my Classic model Coonan 357mag semi-automatic pistol on Thursday; can't wait to get to the range and test it out. They say the break in period should be at least 200 rounds so I have already stocked up on my ammo. Just finished taking some photos of the gun alone and next to my standard military 1911 so people can get a feel of the size of this firearm. Length and height are both about a half inch longer and thickness seems about the same. You will notice that the magazine is considerably wider and longer than the 45.

Quality is everything I remembered from seeing it at the Shot Show. Purchased it with adjustable night sights, six magazines, upgraded grips and a bunch of spare springs. Came in a nice carrying case and they include a very detailed manual with color photos. This breaks down the same as a regular 1911. People know I see all kinds of hand guns from Kimber, Springfield, Colt and other quality manufacturers and I can honestly say the Coonan meets or exceed any other gun I've inspected as far as fit and finish. I was told since they were on the cover of Shotgun News their lead time has jumped from four weeks to eight to ten; mine took seven weeks due to delivery problems with the Trijicon sight supplier.

1coonan8.jpg

1coonan7.jpg

1coonan1.jpg

1coonan2.jpg

1coonan15.jpg

1coonan16.jpg

1coonan14.jpg

1coonan13.jpg

1coonan4.jpg

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Nice! I was just looking at a pistol like this in the Shotgun News. I can't imagine shooting 357 Mag out of a semi automatic, let us know how she shoots! :yesway:

If it was the April 20th issue it was this gun. I have not read the article yet but I understand it give the gun a good report. It weights three pounds with a full load of ammo so that should help some. All I read they do not kick that bad but I will find out next week. :D

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My brother had one of these many years ago and actually carried it for a time. Looked like a great gun, and I don't remember him ever saying recoil was an issue as the gun was quite heavy.

I do believe he said there were times when he would find metal "shavings" apparently from the rails when he would field strip it after firing, but I don't recall any major issues with it.

They are a beast of a gun.

I'll be interested to hear how it shoots.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have an old COONAN 357 MAG. But I haven't shot it yet, I've bought 500 rounds of 357 MAG ammo, I'll be shooting it soon. I heard muzzle flash is awesome with this gun

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Looks Good Michiana. Blends two things I love, 1911 and .357! :)

OMG! I did not know there was such a thing! That would be WAY better to carry than a Desert Eagle! Your new gun is awsome.:rockwoot:

Who ITH carries a Desert Eagle besides movie bad guys? :dunno:

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Is that Coonan a descendant of the LAR Grizley?. Looks about the same. Always meant to get one with both .45 Win Mag and .357 barrels and magazines......Came as a kit in the 80's....John

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm confused, I was just told Coonan went out of business years ago. After reading this I went to their web page and saw they're alive and going strong. I've heard they're awesome collector items as well. Grats on your new firearm.:yesway:

thanks for the clarification gunman41mag!

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not the same gun

Is that Coonan a descendant of the LAR Grizley?. Looks about the same. Always meant to get one with both .45 Win Mag and .357 barrels and magazines......Came as a kit in the 80's....John

No, this is not the same gun, the Coonan 357 was first developed and sold way back in the 80's as Coonan Arms and that company was eventually sold by Dan Coonan, the developer of this firearm. That company went Chapter 11 in the mid 90's but by then the Coonan 357mag had developed a cult type following. Magazines for those first guns can run as much as $200 each if you can find them. Dan Coonan started his new company, Coonan Inc. a couple years ago and is now selling an improved handgun based upon the same platform. It is much easier to handle than the Grizzly and the Desert Eagle. You can find a lot of interesting information on these firearms on the internet. As mentioned by another INGO member this is the best of both worlds for me as I love the 1911 style and also the 357mag cartridge.

I believe the LAR Grizzly was chambered for the ,45 win mag and had conversion kits for changing over to other rounds like the .357. They were very heavy guns. Dan Coonan developed his design in 1977 and the Grizzly was developed in the 80's. Two good guns using different concepts. There is also the Desert Eagle which along with the Grizzly weights at least a pound more than the Coonan pistol. The Coonan is probably as close as you will come to this type of pistol suitable for a personal carry gun. Personally I purchased mine for target shooting and because I just had to have one once I held it in my hand. :D

Top Bottom