• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

My mom (of all people) used to have what looked like a metal mechanical pencil, but fired a .38Special cartridge. There was a metal slide on the side that slid back and hooked into a notch, which you then nudged out of the notch to fire. I have no idea who made it.

Any idea where I could find info on those to see what it was? I never fired it as a kid, and have no idea what ever happened to it.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    My mom (of all people) used to have what looked like a metal mechanical pencil, but fired a .38Special cartridge. There was a metal slide on the side that slid back and hooked into a notch, which you then nudged out of the notch to fire. I have no idea who made it.

Any idea where I could find info on those to see what it was? I never fired it as a kid, and have no idea what ever happened to it.

If it was a real "pen gun" meaning straight and not able to bend in the form of a real pistol like the ones above, then it should have been a registered class III AOW and only able to be owned after paying a $5 tax stamp and getting ATF transfer approval.

There are some websites for pen gun collectors, but many were home made.

HTH

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If it was a real "pen gun" meaning straight and not able to bend in the form of a real pistol like the ones above, then it should have been a registered class III AOW and only able to be owned after paying a $5 tax stamp and getting ATF transfer approval.

There are some websites for pen gun collectors, but many were home made.

HTH

I'm fairly certain that it was commercially made. I do remember it had a box, and owner's manual with it. My dad probably bought it for my mom in the late 40s or so. They never mentioned having federal paperwork for it, but I can't imagine my dad knowingly buying anything illegally. He wasn't much for buying homemade stuff either, and wouldn't have bought a "zip gun."

I don't remember anything about it. As I said, I never fired it. I can't imagine it was much fun to shoot. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to hold it in front of my belly while firing it, as there was nothing to grip. Just a slick metal mechanical pencil-looking thing. (it didn't bend)

Isn't there anything else it could have been other than a Class III item?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I'm fairly certain that it was commercially made. I do remember it had a box, and owner's manual with it. My dad probably bought it for my mom in the late 40s or so. They never mentioned having federal paperwork for it, but I can't imagine my dad knowingly buying anything illegally. He wasn't much for buying homemade stuff either, and wouldn't have bought a "zip gun."

I don't remember anything about it. As I said, I never fired it. I can't imagine it was much fun to shoot. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to hold it in front of my belly while firing it, as there was nothing to grip. Just a slick metal mechanical pencil-looking thing. (it didn't bend)

Isn't there anything else it could have been other than a Class III item?

It was probably purchased before they were classified as AOW's or it could have been one of the ones commercially sold as .22 caliber "flare guns". Which is about like the 12ga adapters being sold for 37MM launchers today. If you use a .22 flare in it your are fine, if you insert a .22 cartridge in it you have broken federal law.

That is about the extent of my knowledge on them. They are pretty cool and I would love to have one of the original threaded AOW stingers. Maybe some day I will find one at a good price.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

No, it was silver colored, and more slender. It looked exactly like a mechanical pencil. It even had a pocket clip, and was 6" or so long. I wish I had a picture of it, or name of manufacturer or something. I never thought it was anything interesting. The end unscrewed, and you put the .38 cartridge in it, and then screwed the end back on. I never even put a cartridge in it, so I don't know if the bullet stuck out the end or not. As I said, I was NEVER interested in shooting it. Just by looking at it, the words "equal but opposite reaction" came to mind, along with the lack of anything to hold (imagine holding a BIC pen which had the recoil of a .38).

Chevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Would love to shoot one

I would love to shoot one, I just hate the thought of spending big Money as I hear they are only cool to own for the first 30 minutes.

Top Bottom