• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Rob Leatham on GunTalk Radio, talking about the new XD(M)

http://hw.libsyn.com/p/d/b/7/db70af...a1388a3f2a1a&l_sid=18365&l_eid=&l_mid=2625844

In short, it's a longer slide version 9MM. Bumped up to a 5.25" barrel, with adjustable "competition" sights. How do ya'll feel about this new introduction? Were you hoping for something different? Maybe a compact .45, or a .380 subcompact to compete with some of the other manufacturers out there?

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if this will only be in 9MM. I just assumed it was because of all the talk about 9MM being the best choice for competition. Doesn't really seem like a good business plan if that IS the case though. Unless they're targeting competition shooters only, and specifically.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    i think the M&P pro only comes in 9 mm and 40 cal but i could be mistaken.... Sounds like they are trying to 1 up the M&P pro series pistols with a slightly longer barrel, and probly a slightly better trigger pull.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Good point. I really didn't think about that. Do you prefer the M&P's over the XD's?

I've only shot the XD in compact, not full size so i cant really compare the full sizes. I have an M&P pro 40 which has been flawless so far (i've now put about 700 rounds through it). A buddy at work i didnt know was even into guns at all told me he just got an XDM 40 cal which i hope i can try out real soon.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    i think the M&P pro only comes in 9 mm and 40 cal but i could be mistaken.... Sounds like they are trying to 1 up the M&P pro series pistols with a slightly longer barrel, and probly a slightly better trigger pull.

which was following along the Glock 34/35 series of guns that still dominate the competition scene in Production Divisions.

This actually IS a good thing from Springfield.

The XD Tactical was their previous standard for competition guns, the XDm should have been like this in the first place. The XDm was good for carry, but missed the mark when it came to a competition gun because it was too short.

Sound like they are finally doing what they should have.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I've only shot the XD in compact, not full size so i cant really compare the full sizes. I have an M&P pro 40 which has been flawless so far (i've now put about 700 rounds through it). A buddy at work i didnt know was even into guns at all told me he just got an XDM 40 cal which i hope i can try out real soon.

I've only ever shot the XD in 9, so I have no real comparison either...

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    which was following along the Glock 34/35 series of guns that still dominate the competition scene in Production Divisions.

This actually IS a good thing from Springfield.

The XD Tactical was their previous standard for competition guns, the XDm should have been like this in the first place. The XDm was good for carry, but missed the mark when it came to a competition gun because it was too short.

Sound like they are finally doing what they should have.

I agree, but it's still a bit of a disappointment to me. I'm not a competition shooter. :(

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Just a thought here, someone help me if I am missing something:

Many 1991-based guns for competition use are chambered in .38 Super. I understand this is because that is the meekest production round to meet the major power factor in most sanctioned events.

Why not a XD in .38 Super then? Or Glock, or CZ?

Just curious.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Despite what many folks say, more gun are kept in home for HD than are carried. Having a handgun with a longer sight radius is a boon to most casual shooters, allowing them to achieve greater accuracy. The additional barrel length will also help to reduce recoil and increase velocity. Introducing the gun in 9mm makes sense as well, it is still the most popular semi auto caliber out there today. I am sure the other calibers will follow in time.

I am sure the competition guys will like the gun as well, nothing wrong with a factory 20 round 9mm with the additional sight radius for stock classes.

Why not a XD in .38 Super then? Or Glock, or CZ?

As much as I like the .38 Super, the 9X23 has a slight edge in reliability thanks to it's straight wall case. However a gun chambered in either would have a much more narrow market than the 9X19.

Top Bottom