• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    I will be purchasing a Glock 23 in the next few days and would like some info on the differences between Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks. I know about the cosmetic differences like the accessory rail and raised finger spacers, but I want to know if there is any mechanical differences that would sway my decision either way. Thanks in advance for your advice.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    As far as I know there aren't any mechanical differences.

:+1:

The only genration with a mechanical difference is the 4th gen. It will have a dual recoil spring and the mag release can be switched to the left side. If I was buying another G23 I would get the 4th gen.:twocents:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The gen4 has less recoil, a bigger mag release, better grip texture, changeable back straps, and a rail. I fail to see where the gen2 comes out ahead.:):

Glock_1.JPG

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will be purchasing a Glock 23 in the next few days and would like some info on the differences between Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks. I know about the cosmetic differences like the accessory rail and raised finger spacers, but I want to know if there is any mechanical differences that would sway my decision either way. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Just personal prefference really. I like the Gen 2 the best. Excellent choice on the G23 by the way!! :rockwoot:

The best feature I see on the Gen 4 is for leftys since they can switch the mag release to the other side. Other than that I do not see the need for the updates on the Gen 4. For me the Gen 4 mag release is way too big, and I do not need interchangeable backstraps. Just my :twocents:.
    Like I said though it is just personal prefference so go with what works best for you, nothing wrong with any of them.

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    Thanks to all for the quick replies! :yesway: I appreciate the info. I have one more question to ask then. If I bought a Gen 2 is there a way for me to later on down the road by a Gen 3 frame if I decided I wanted one, or would that end up being an expensive/impossible thing to do?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Thanks to all for the quick replies! :yesway: I appreciate the info. I have one more question to ask then. If I bought a Gen 2 is there a way for me to later on down the road by a Gen 3 frame if I decided I wanted one, or would that end up being an expensive/impossible thing to do?

It's possible but expensive for what you get. You would be better off to sell the Gen2 and buy a Gen3

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    Ok that is what I was wondering. I am new to the handgun world so I am gathering all the info I can before I make a purchase. How would I go about finding OD frames for a glock? I have done a little searching online but haven't found anything yet.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Ok that is what I was wondering. I am new to the handgun world so I am gathering all the info I can before I make a purchase. How would I go about finding OD frames for a glock? I have done a little searching online but haven't found anything yet.

You can buy a OD frame G23. They were only made in the gen3 configuration and Glock doesn't produce them anymore. You would have to find a dealer with one still in stock or buy one used.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

The OD glocks have been discontinued. The few I've seen for sale on here in the last year or so have been salty.

You can have a black gun finished in OD if you want.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Is that an expensive thing to have done? And does it tend to wear of easily or not?

I think it's around $100. The pic I posted is my G23 done by Nash Gunwerx. It had some wear when I bought it from him but I actually liked it that way.

Honestly if you really want OD then you might as well buy one of the discontinued Glocks.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Please do your self a favor and try and find one of each to fire. I prefer the 2nd gen because the G-23 places the finger grooves uncomfortably in my mitts. I own 3rd gen G-17 and G-22's, but for the mis size G-19/G-23, I have to use the 2nd Gen. I would hate to buy one and find out later is doesnt fit my paws.

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    Yes I have been to a few different stores and held gen 3's and 4's but I have not held a gen 2. I really like how the midsize glocks fit in my hand and I haven't had any problems with the finger grooves being uncomfortable.

Top Bottom