• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    I sold my XD9, only because it was to big for me to conceal comfortably. I have no more than $600 to spend on something smaller in 9mm that i can easily carry concealed. Ideas?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Everyone is different so there is no one single best answer. Also important is a good belt and a quality holster which makes a huge difference.

My EDC is a G27. Just handle as many as you can and go with what feels best to you. There are many great options out there.

A few suggestions to start with:
    G26
    XD9sc
    Ruger sr9c
    Kahr cw9

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    One that you will actually carry... all the time.

No matter what the firearm is, it does you no good if you don't have it.... but it sounds like you have already recognized that.

Lots of good CC stuff out there for under 600.

You might want to go with a pocket gun (perhaps an LCP) as well as a small 9 or 45 (perhaps a FNP9)

You could get both for less than 600 and have some flexibility to carry regardless of dress requirements.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I CC/OC my Glock 30 or if I'm dressing up I'll CC my Keltec PF9 with belt clip because of the single stack and because of how compact it is, nobody could really notice even if they were looking for a weapon.....

But I OC more than CC

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    PF-9 is a good choice, if it is comfortable to you, and you shoot it well. I have handled the Ruger LC9, and it seems like it would be a comfortable pistol to shoot, though I have yet to shoot one. The Glock 26 is a great pistol, though it isnt as thin as the single stack 9s that are out there. If you had issues concealing the XD9, I would immagine that the Glock would not be much easier to conceal.
    What ever you decide, a sturdy belt and a good holster will go a long way in helping conceal your handgun.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    is Taurus not a good option?
    I personally have never had a problem with Taurus. Some people do not like them, but I have always been 100% pleased with them. The pt111 is a nice carry piece. I have shot many different Taurus handguns and own one and they have all been 100% reliable.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    is Taurus not a good option?

It all depends on personal preference. There are some people who don't like Taurus because of perceived quality issues. Myself, I like their revolvers, but not too keen on their autos. I have had some jamming problems with them.

The fact is, you need to buy what you like. Go handle several until you find one that suits you. :yesway:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Ccw

I personally would not trust a Taurus for cc. I've heard a number of reports of Taurus pistols failing. Of course taurus fixes them bla, bla, bla.. But with my luck it would fail at exactly the wrong moment. Which is why I carry a g-19 with a laser max guide pin replacement laser. It is not cool it's just a tool. It's lightweight, reliable and packs plenty of power. 9mm is cheap to shoot also. With my don home iwb holster it's very discreet and hardly know it's there. The laser max I liked because it doesn't add any size or weight to the weapon. Ive had a g-27 and I don't miss it. It's just too small.:twocents:

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    i might run down to gander mountain after the game to handle some.. Dont worry i know they are way overpriced

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    First of all I think is a good idea to stay with 9mm. Here's a couple of suggestions of semiautos to check, from the top of my head (and I'm sure I'm forgetting many)

Pocket type: Kahr CM9, Diamondback DB9, Kel-Tec PF9,Ruger LC9, Sig290 (not quite out yet), Kimber Solo (expensive), Boberg XR9 (not out yet, and probablymore than $600, but so cool, just check it out!)

Subcompacts (there ane so many!):Glock 26 (double stack). Single stack: Walther PPS, Ruger SR9c, Beretta Nano(not yet out)...
    Hopefully you'll find something you like! :draw:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I was in the same situation as you were, I had a full sized Taurus 24/7 .40, with the 5 inch barrel, and I just couldn't comfortably conceal it. Never really had a problem with it, other than one particular type of ammo, just too big for me to conceal. Wanting something a little smaller and also wanting a 9mm. I ended up getting a Ruger SR9c and it is great. I carry OWB most of the time because I can just wear an over shirt untucked and no one can see it. It fits quite nicely IWB as well.

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    I was in the same situation as you were, I had a full sized Taurus 24/7 .40, with the 5 inch barrel, and I just couldn't comfortably conceal it. Never really had a problem with it, other than one particular type of ammo, just too big for me to conceal. Wanting something a little smaller and also wanting a 9mm. I ended up getting a Ruger SR9c and it is great. I carry OWB most of the time because I can just wear an over shirt untucked and no one can see it. It fits quite nicely IWB as well.

The SR9c was actually one i was going to look at

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The SR9c was actually one i was going to look at

I really like it. It shoots great and fit all the needs I had. It is taking me a bit to get used to the trigger on it, just because it is a lot heavier than the single action I was shooting all the time.

Not sure where you are located but, Plainfield shooting had a pretty decent deal on them. That is where I picked mine up at. (well i bought it at the 1500 from them) Picked it up at their store, I got NICS delayed.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    my vote is for the m&p 9c. please at least look at it before buying the ruger. i really like that pistol compared to the ruger. i hated the trigger on the ruger. and it's way inside your price range, very compact and very accurate for that kind of a gun.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Ok, seriously. Do you jut copy and paste this? I have sen this word for word on MULTIPLE threads. :rolleyes:

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    I just got back from gander mountain. I liked the XD9sc alot, also liked the beretta px4. But the prices are so high, i might just keep my eye on the classifieds on here for a week or so

Top Bottom