• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fahappy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    NW Indiana
    My mother has a birthday coming up and I have decided to buy her her first gun for her birthday. She is turning 50 and has no experience with guns whatsoever. She has been complaining to me about breakins in her areaand suspicious looking young men walking around in the area. Im thinking of getting her something like a .380 or something like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go with a .22LR, like a Ruger 22/45, or a S&W, etc. They're easy and fun to shoot and ammo is cheap.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you're looking for a 380, I'd consider the Bersa. They shoot really smooth and comfortable. Also not too small and you can get a good grip on them but small enough to carry if you want.

The pocket 380's are awesome to carry but are not pleasant to shoot. I've heard a lot of feedback that they turn people off who think they will be easy to manager because they're small.

:twocents:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Giving it some more thought, if she's like my folks with not a lot of interest or experience, they decided on a home defense shotgun to protect themselves in their house. Another option to considerer as they had no real plans or interest to carry but wanted something in their home.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    With her having no experience with firearms at all I would suggest that you take plenty of time and involve her in the decision. It needs to be a gun that she can handle and be comfortable with. I would not suggest any of the pocket pistols as they are not comfortable to shoot and require a fair amount of practice. Find out if she is able to rack the slide of a semiauto. Some people have problems with this. If so then I would look into a revolver. A .38 spl. with a 4 inch barrel would be nice. Easy to operate and very reliable. Just take some time and have her handle as many as possible and shoot some if possible. Good way to spend some time with her too! Good luck with the search.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Have to agree with the above post, a .38 revolver is a good choice for her. If you want to go with a semi, my wife has a Walther PK380 that she really likes. But she got started on a .38 and still sometimes carries it.

Take her to a range that rents guns and have her try several.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My mother has a birthday coming up and I have decided to buy her her first gun for her birthday. She is turning 50 and has no experience with guns whatsoever. She has been complaining to me about breakins in her areaand suspicious looking young men walking around in the area. Im thinking of getting her something like a .380 or something like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

One that she is COMFORTABLE using. I would suggest getting her a membership to a range...and take her in to LEARN to shoot...and to try out different guns until she finds one she is COMFORTABLE with. Some women will not shoot a .40 or even a 9mm. Others love them. My daughter isa new shooter...but she won't shoot anything but a .22LR. Is a .22 an idea defense gun? No. But it's better than a rolling pin.

Bigbenc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I firmly believe that the best ladies gun is the revolver.....simplicity to use and reliability is very key.....for just shooting anything is fine but when it comes to personal protection the revolver is the way to go.........22mag or higher is good choice

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Gender has no place in choosing a CC platform. Proper training and fundamentals provide the ability for any person to carry, and proficiently shoot virtually ANY handgun. If a person is only concerned with a close-proximity shooting situation, then a short revolver may fill the bill. For a carry gun that will see duty as a recreational arm, and a gun that will allow the shooter to hit a man at 25 ft, and a gun that the shooter can comfortably spend a few hours with at the range, it's my opinion that there are much better choices than a short-barreled revolver. Purchasing a given firearm is rarely appropriate when done so only as the result of another persons' suggestion.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I am also going to humbly suggest that she might prefer a revolver or shotgun to an auto. My own mother for example, who I am (finally!) getting into shooting, lacks the hand strength to work the slide to chamber anything other than the 22s. This is partly due to her small stature and partly due to arthritis, however.

Her reason was very much the same as your mother's; namely the rising incidents of crimes and "shady characters" (her term *grin*) in the area. She will fire anything I hand her, and has taken instruction well, but she just lacks the ability to operate the pistols.

Definitely get her involved in the process, join a club or range, or at the very least take her to your local dealer to fondle the merchandise so she can see what she likes the feel of.:twocents:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Is it possible to move? The best strategy to deal with a bad neighborhood is to move out of there. That's the option I'd take personally if possible, and if the threat is serious.

In addition to the gun, she will have to get training to operate it, to develop the right mindset for combat, and to cultivate good vigilance for the neighborhood. This will take a while, and quite some time investment. Is she willing to do this? If not, the gun may not be of much help when/if the time comes, and it may serve mostly as psychological comfort to you and your mother.

I don't know your situation, so this may be entirely off-base.

Da Bing

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I gave my 80 yr old mother a 20ga double w/22" bbl. She handles it well and has shot it over 50 times.
    I took her out and let her fire about every type of home defense weapon made for her needs. The 20 ga was the one she liked best.

fahappy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I am also going to humbly suggest that she might prefer a revolver or shotgun to an auto.slide to My own mother for example, who I am (finally!) getting into shooting, lacks the hand strength to work the chamber anything other than the 22s. This is partly due to her small stature and partly due to arthritis, however.

Her reason was very much the same as your mother's; namely the rising incidents of crimes and "shady characters" (her term *grin*) in the area. She will fire anything I hand her, and has taken instruction well, but she just lacks the ability to operate the pistols.

Definitely get her involved in the process, join a club or range, or at the very least take her to your local dealer to fondle the merchandise so she can see what she likes the feel of.:twocents:
    Yeah my mom has carpal tunnel, and is also small in stature so she may have a problem chambering a round into certain calibers. But 20 gauge or .32 revolver may be just what the doctor ordered.

fahappy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Is it possible to move? The best strategy to deal with a bad neighborhood is to move out of there. That's the option I'd take personally if possible, and if the threat is serious.

In addition to the gun, she will have to get training to operate it, to develop the right mindset for combat, and to cultivate good vigilance for the neighborhood. This will take a while, and quite some time investment. Is she willing to do this? If not, the gun may not be of much help when/if the time comes, and it may serve mostly as psychological comfort to you and your mother.

I don't know your situation, so this may be entirely off-base.

Da Bing
    Is it possible to move? The best strategy to deal with a bad neighborhood is to move out of there. That's the option I'd take personally if possible, and if the threat is serious. I dont think its that serious of s threat, they guys she complains about are basically just kids being kids. She just moved into what would otherwise be her dream house so I doubt she would move. I just want her to feel safe I do not want her ever have to use the weapon to bring harm to anyone

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    carry gun
    recreational arm,
    hit a man at 25 ft
    comfortably spend a few hours with at the range

NONE of that ^ together describes a snubby revolver, for sure. I suggest the OP take mom shooting FIRST. Let her shoot a little revolver...Let her shoot a bigger framed heavier gun... and Let HER decide what feels best in hand. :)
    I'm sure there's an INGOer or five in your general area that could share similar guns for an hour or so. :yesway:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Take her to a basic pistol course. In these classes, she can actually put her hands on a gun and use it. Then she can make her own decision. And she has some training. That would be infinitely more valuable than "Happy Birthday! Here's a gun you have no idea about." ACT puts on a great "hands on" course. Very professional and entertaining at the same time. Another option is NRA basic pistol. It is more of a classroom course but one can learn a lot. ACT is my first choice.

Top Bottom