Help! Browning BuckMark jams like a......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Ladies and gentlemen my father and I have a browning BuckMark that is 10 years old and has had no telling how many thousands of rounds ran through it. Unfortunatley it has developed a nasty habit of not ejecting a spent casing or not properly loading a new round, old casings are getting jammed in the slide and you cant shoot 10 rounds through it without at least 5 jams! I have cleaned the gun several times and lubed all the friction points with remoil and tried several types and brands of ammo. The gun is no longer enjoyable to plink with and is leaving a bad taste in my mouth with Brownings as the gun has always jammed to some degree. Has anyone had similiar experience with the BuckMark? Any suggestions?

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    we have two mags...one that came with the gun and one that was purchased later. I have not purchased/tried new mags and do not know anyone who has one that i can borrow. I know that my old man did leave the mags loaded and sitting in the closet so perhaps the springs have just gotten weak? Do you think that a weak mag spring could effect ejection of spent casings? thanks!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Do you think that a weak mag spring could effect ejection of spent casings?

No, once the bullet loads successfully and fires, the magazine shouldn't be a factor. I doubt both magazines would go bad at exactly the same time, so I think you can eliminate that possibility. It was just an initial thought. Good luck...

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    with no telling how many rounds feed through it ...

I would suggest going to your local gunsmith have him polish the feed ramp...(feeding problem)
    and have him replace the spring in, if not the entire ejector .
    the spring in an older mag like that will ware out also if you leave them loaded ...youy may wanna check into new mags or atleast fresh springs for the mags you have .

numrich is a good online place to look for hard to find parts

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sounds like the ejector is not getting enough hook on the case. If there is a spring under the ejector replace it. Also new mag springs would be a good idea if they that old. I would not mess with feed ramp until you have the feeding and ejecting sorted out unless it is really rough.

sunspot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2008
    Warsaw
    Try tightening all the screws as tight as they will go, even the grip screws, the gun will not function with any of them loose, This was always the first suggestion for any buckmark ftf issue, I have one about the same age, and have experienced the same thing. But not any more !! they are one of the most reliable 22 semi auto out there. The only other suggestion I have is CCI stingers do not shoot well at all, they are a hair longer and get tangled with the bottom of the ramp. Good luck

John

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DO NOT POLISH THE FEED RAMP!

Do a detail strip of the entire gun, which is surprisingly easy. Here is a link to a Rimfire Central article on detail stripping the weapon: Dissecting a Buck Mark - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Scrub and lubricate everything that could possibly move on the weapon. I would also suggest replacing any spring that you can.

Re-assemble the gun, and make sure everything is nice and tight. Make sure all the screws are good and snug.

I wouldn't look at the magazine if it's mangling cases and failing to eject. I'd wager it's more a problem with the extracter. Make sure it's very well cleaned and oiled.

One more thing: You can't hate on a .22 for jamming. That's something damn near all of them do on occasion.

Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    +1 on what TheAutomator said. Have you ever tried to remove the barrel & reseat it again. I would try a good cleaning first.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Need a breakdown drawing on the Buckmark?

I have a Browning Buckmark I purchased new about twenty years ago and have never has any issues with it. You can go to Welcome to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. and they will probably have the replacement parts you need. I have a breakdown drawing in PDF format if anyone needs one. Just send me an email and I will attach and send back.

Last edited:

KRBushee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Wells County
    A good cleaning can solve your problem, most of the time. I have problems after just a few rounds of cheap Remingtons. Seams that they have a small layer of some kind of wax coating on them. The wax builds up and can cause ejection and feeding problems. Also fine particles of dirt combined with to much oil will have the same result. I have fired many rounds of CCI and Federal ammo through mine without the slightest problem. As far as the stingers go, they are a little longer, but I have never had a problem with them, myself. I have also heard that some of the higher powered rounds burn the ejector rod over time. Which can cause it to bend slightly and cause feeding problems.

glockophile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    My gunsmith and I just stripped the gun apart, after I faced similar problems. He said basically I just shoot too much... But seriously, the disconnector can actually wear down strangely. Browning Buck Mark Parts: MGW #5. My gunsmith said do a full spring replacement, firing pin included (even though it probably isn't necessary) before trying to order a new slide.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You cleaned and lubed it?

That's your problem right there ;) Last time I cleaned mine or bothered to run a boresnake through it was 7300 or more rounds ago :):

Feed ramp, maybe. More than likely the extractor or spring has an issue. Wore out, brass shaving, something.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Sounds like the ejector is not getting enough hook on the case. If there is a spring under the ejector replace it. Also new mag springs would be a good idea if they that old. I would not mess with feed ramp until you have the feeding and ejecting sorted out unless it is really rough.
    I agree.....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Another thing to check, pinged chamber edge.
    Buckmarks are kinda soft, buddy got a 5.5 and pinged his up.
    Used a chamber iron and it ran fine (and he quit dry firing it ) ;)

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The extractor spring, plunger and the extractor itself need to be replaced.

Secondly, check the edge of the chamber adjacent to the slot where the extractor sits when the slide is closed. If there is any damage, peening or the like, you might to clean that up. You can do it yourself if you know what you are doing.

That and a good cleaning should help with the FTE issues.

That being said, a 10 year old buckmark probably has a few other wear items you might need to replace. Specifically the recoil buffer pad, the firing pin spring and the ejector all come to mind. Maybe the disconnector spring too.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Try tightening all the screws as tight as they will go, even the grip screws, the gun will not function with any of them loose, This was always the first suggestion for any buckmark ftf issue, I have one about the same age, and have experienced the same thing. But not any more !! they are one of the most reliable 22 semi auto out there. The only other suggestion I have is CCI stingers do not shoot well at all, they are a hair longer and get tangled with the bottom of the ramp. Good luck

John

this

Top Bottom