Getting a new Glock... 45ACP or 357 SIG?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I got an armed security job and i currently carry a G19 for work. I know the 9mm is a capable round but i want something bigger. Not just a little...alot! Thats why i want something in 45ACP or 357 SIG. I reload so the cost of the target ammo isnt a huge deal although its kind of important. I will want a full size gun to hold as many rounds as i can. So... give me the pros and cons please :D

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    A lot bigger? Try a 10 MM Glock. I'm on the look out for one myself, at a decent price. There are some vids on U Tube showing 45 ACP & 10 MM Glock side by side. Very impressive round.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The 45 is very easy to reload, the 357 sig takes a little bit more skill to do it safely. I had a Glock 33 for many years before I sold it to a friends father. Right now I've got a Glock 19 and a 30. The 19 gets carried and shot alot more than the 30.

If it were my choice and it's for uniformed open carry I would go with the Glock 21. If you patrol inside a building the blast from the 45 would be more "pleasant" than the 357 Sig. The recoil on the 357 is a sharp snap not a gentle push, follow up shots can suffer without serious range time for practice.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with either round.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    So the 45 doesnt have quite the snap as the 357? Because follow up shots are important to me. And yes its a uniformed open carry but sometimes i have to do suit and tie type jobs also

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    So the 45 doesnt have quite the snap as the 357? Because follow up shots are important to me. And yes its a uniformed open carry but sometimes i have to do suit and tie type jobs also

Correct, the 45 recoil in both the Glock 21 and 30 is very mild. The 21 might be a little difficult to conceal if you have to go suit & tie (depending on your build and choice of equipment). The Glock 30 is just a hair smaller in all dimentions except thickness than the Glock 19/23/32. I really don't notice a difference when I carry either one.

For uniformed carry I would go with the 21 since it will be open. For concealed work I would go with the 30.

The 357Sig is a fun round to shoot at the range and it does have quite a punch, however it's a handful to shoot quickly and accurately at the same time. There are those that do it without a doubt but it takes quite a bit of ammo and range time to get proficient with it compared to other rounds.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. The 30 will take the mags from the 21, so if you want smaller size, go with the 30 and then pick up some 21 mags for more capacity. The 21 mags hold 13 rounds.

By the way, I believe the Glock 20 (10 mm) and 21 are the same size (physical specs of the gun), as are the 29 (10 mm) and 30. You can check the specs here: GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

And yes, the 21 and 30 will have much less snap/perceived recoil than the 357 Sig models. I have a Glock 27 as well (subcompact 40) and it has significant recoil in my opinion. The 357 Sig is a 40 case that is necked down to .357 (basically necked down to 9mm) and has significant recoil from what I understand.

I'd go with the model 30. Of the Glocks I own it is my favorite to shoot.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. The 30 will take the mags from the 21, so if you want smaller size, go with the 30 and then pick up some 21 mags for more capacity. The 21 mags hold 13 rounds.

By the way, I believe the Glock 20 (10 mm) and 21 are the same size (physical specs of the gun), as are the 29 (10 mm) and 30. You can check the specs here: GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

And yes, the 21 and 30 will have much less snap/perceived recoil than the 357 Sig models. I have a Glock 27 as well (subcompact 40) and it has significant recoil in my opinion. The 357 Sig is a 40 case that is necked down to .357 (basically necked down to 9mm) and has significant recoil from what I understand.

IIRC the 357Sig has the same OAL as the .40 so if reloading is ever involved and you take a standard .40 casing and neck it down in the 357 dies it will end up shorter due to the necking process. Yes I know some people do just this and haven't blown themselves up yet, I just don't think it's a good practice to start.

For me the 30 seems to have better recoil than the 21. It may be due to the dual springs or maybe it just fits my hand better. At 6'4" you shouldn't have much problem with concealment with either one providing you use good euipment. The best bet is to find a rental range and try both of them out. It may be difficult to find a range that has a rental Glock in 357 though, I haven't looked for one but the 45's should be easy to find.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    IIRC the 357Sig has the same OAL as the .40 so if reloading is ever involved and you take a standard .40 casing and neck it down in the 357 dies it will end up shorter due to the necking process. Yes I know some people do just this and haven't blown themselves up yet, I just don't think it's a good practice to start.

For me the 30 seems to have better recoil than the 21. It may be due to the dual springs or maybe it just fits my hand better. At 6'4" you shouldn't have much problem with concealment with either one providing you use good euipment. The best bet is to find a rental range and try both of them out. It may be difficult to find a range that has a rental Glock in 357 though, I haven't looked for one but the 45's should be easy to find.

I wasn't advocating necking down 40 cases from a reloading standpoint (I don't reload so don't know), but rather indicating that the base of the case is 40 caliber in diameter while the bullet is 9mm... it was designed to replicate 357 mag stopping power in a high cap semi auto.

And I agree, my Glock 30 is an easy shooting gun, with great balance and low recoil.

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have a G21SF, G30SF, and a G31. To be honest, for me, the 357SIG doesn't really hit that hard. True, my 45ACP feels better, but it is not that bad.

However, if I could do it all over again, I would have never bought the 31. The 357SIG ammo is a pita to find.

If I had to choose between my 21 and 30, I would pick the 30. It seems to have the best of both worlds of small and powerful. I even carry my 30 in an IWB holster.

Good luck!

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I'm 6'4 190lbs. and my EDC is a Glock 30 and the recoil in it is very light compared to other 45acps' i've shot in the past..... I would highly suggest the G30 for OC and CC..... It is a very well made weapon and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Glock in 45 ACP..... BTW congrats on the job and good luck to you!!

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    turnerdye1,
    In your first post you mentioned only Glock, but you also said, "I will want a full size gun to hold as many rounds as i can." Don't overlook the FNP USG45 which is a full sized polymer framed pistol with 15+1 capacity. I've owned HKs, Glocks, and now settled on the USG 45 for my carry gun. Just a thought...
    Stu

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've been shooting a 357 Sig quite a bit in USPSA and some steel matches. Even took 1st in Production the August steel match at ACC. It's not any harder to shoot quickly or accurately than anything else really.
    In fact, I find that my split times with it are about the same as shooting a G17, and my hits are about the same. After thousands of rounds of 357 Sig (~4000 in just the last few months) and many thousands more in 45, I really don't understand where people get the idea that the 357 is tougher to control. That hasn't been my experience at all.

If you reload, you'll be able to load 357 cheaper than 40 and FAR FAR cheaper than 45. Even assuming you get free 45 brass and have to buy once fired 357 brass, the 357 still comes out significantly cheaper.
    8.8gr of longshot under a Zero 125gr FP FMJ is good for about 1350fps and extremely accurate. (Work up of course!!) As for being more involved, buy the Dillon carbide sizing die and make sure you're not belling too much so as to keep good neck tension, and it's not a problem. I actually find it easier than loading 9mm in some ways.

I've owned a G21 in the past, but would opt for the G31 any day of the week.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

I think im gonna end up going with the 45 right now. How many rounds does the 30 hold?

Do you know if Atterbury would have either of these? Its the closest range to me or ECPR. Im also curious why the smaller 30 would have less recoil.

I have a G21SF, G30SF, and a G31. To be honest, for me, the 357SIG doesn't really hit that hard. True, my 45ACP feels better, but it is not that bad.

However, if I could do it all over again, I would have never bought the 31. The 357SIG ammo is a pita to find.

If I had to choose between my 21 and 30, I would pick the 30. It seems to have the best of both worlds of small and powerful. I even carry my 30 in an IWB holster.

Good luck!

Now whats the main differance between the SF models and the regular models? I know its slim frame or something like that, im not sure. But does it affect round count or anything?

I'm 6'4 190lbs. and my EDC is a Glock 30 and the recoil in it is very light compared to other 45acps' i've shot in the past..... I would highly suggest the G30 for OC and CC..... It is a very well made weapon and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Glock in 45 ACP..... BTW congrats on the job and good luck to you!!

Thank you! Im able to move into my new apartment now that i can afford it :yesway: What other 45ACP have you shot? Just curious

turnerdye1,
    In your first post you mentioned only Glock, but you also said, "I will want a full size gun to hold as many rounds as i can." Don't overlook the FNP USG45 which is a full sized polymer framed pistol with 15+1 capacity. I've owned HKs, Glocks, and now settled on the USG 45 for my carry gun. Just a thought...
    Stu

See here you go making me think more.... haha. I consider myself a Glock guy which is why i want one. I did look at some FNP and HK's but i know the HK's are WAY out of my price range and the FNP didnt really stick out to me. Just wasnt a Glock :)

I've been shooting a 357 Sig quite a bit in USPSA and some steel matches. Even took 1st in Production the August steel match at ACC. It's not any harder to shoot quickly or accurately than anything else really.
    In fact, I find that my split times with it are about the same as shooting a G17, and my hits are about the same. After thousands of rounds of 357 Sig (~4000 in just the last few months) and many thousands more in 45, I really don't understand where people get the idea that the 357 is tougher to control. That hasn't been my experience at all.

If you reload, you'll be able to load 357 cheaper than 40 and FAR FAR cheaper than 45. Even assuming you get free 45 brass and have to buy once fired 357 brass, the 357 still comes out significantly cheaper.
    8.8gr of longshot under a Zero 125gr FP FMJ is good for about 1350fps and extremely accurate. (Work up of course!!) As for being more involved, buy the Dillon carbide sizing die and make sure you're not belling too much so as to keep good neck tension, and it's not a problem. I actually find it easier than loading 9mm in some ways.

I've owned a G21 in the past, but would opt for the G31 any day of the week.

I do reload but i just started maybe 2 months ago. And since ive moved to Indy i havent had time to get my setup down here yet so its been awhile. Id still prefer to load straight neck cases right now which is why im sort of leaning more the 45 route. Plus it has majority right now. I know i cant afford to shoot 4000 rounds of 357 to be able to get used to it. From what ive looked at on the internet its a pricey round

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I do reload but i just started maybe 2 months ago. And since ive moved to Indy i havent had time to get my setup down here yet so its been awhile. Id still prefer to load straight neck cases right now which is why im sort of leaning more the 45 route. Plus it has majority right now. I know i cant afford to shoot 4000 rounds of 357 to be able to get used to it. From what ive looked at on the internet its a pricey round

Its cheaper than 45.
    "Canned Heat" .357 SIG 125gr Full Metal Jacket 500pk

"Canned Heat" .45 ACP 230gr Full Metal Jacket 500pk

I bought a batch of their stuff before my dies came in. good quality ammo.

I reload 357 sig for about half that cost, FWIW.

Don't fear the bottleneck. It's really not a big deal.

It didn't take 4k to get used to. I've just shot 4k, so I've got a good familiarity with the round. It's not the wild snappy beast the inter web makes it out to be. I find the recoil between a 9 and a 40, and less than a 45.

A little 357 sig propaganda here
    AR15.COM :: Archives :: Steel Sheets o' Truth Table added P.6

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Typically, shooters who start out on the larger Glocks like the G17 or 21 will shoot low when they first shoot a G19. I never saw anyone start on a G19 and go bigger but almost everyone picks up a few of the 19's because they carry so well.

If you stay with Glock, I would say get a G30 SF.

I am actually going to replace my 21's with that exact gun and make the 21's into "kit guns." I shoot 21's very well and have owned them for 20 years but the 30SF has a lot going for it including the fact it will use my larger G21 mags.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I read an earlier post that says with a 9mm you can shoot faster with less recoil, and stay on target better. I agree. So your loaded G19 with a 30 rnd. mag in your belt is probably good enough. Assuming your in uniform on your job a G21, that also can use a large capacity magazine would be a good choice if u have to have a large caliber. Plus the .45 ACP is easy and fun to reload. You could also carry a small back up pistol. :)

Top Bottom