• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For a budget gun, which one would you get between a Kel Tec (PF9 or P11) and a Smith&Wesson Sigma 9mm?

:dunno:

I think they are about the same price.Havent checked in a while.
    I hear bad things about both, are they any good?
    Is the Sigma just like a cheaper Glock 19? (I think they are about the same size and clearly the Sigma was made after the Glock)
    Should I just forget about them and get a Glock.

I know a bit about the Kel Tecs so im more interested to hear Sigma owners tell me what they think about it, if they carry it etc.

SW40F.jpg

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    If you can, save your money and get a police trade in or Gen II Glock. They are head and shoulders above either a Keltec P9 and exponentially better than a Sigma. Sigma = worst trigger on a modern handgun ever.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Let the Keltec bashing begin..... I own a PF9 and I love it.... Great concealer, have a little over 200 rounds through it without a FTF or FTE..... For the price... it's hard to beat.... Great customer service..... If you buy it new then you have a lifetime warranty on it.... If you sell it to a second party the warranty is void but without a gun registry in Indiana I don't know how they would track who the original owner is anyway.... It does have quite the snap when firing but not overly abrasive when firing.....

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Totally will apologize for jumping to assumptions of 'Budget' being biggest concern with quality.

I did emphasize one point that's relevant to a 9mm... Ammo is still cheaper with a P22. :D

(Staying On Topic - I really, really dislike the trigger on the Sigma... or just Sigma series in general).

People bash Kel Tec's repeatedly, but most that do don't have much on-hand experience with them. They're a great budget firearm.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Totally will apologize for jumping to assumptions of 'Budget' being biggest concern with quality.

I did emphasize one point that's relevant to a 9mm... Ammo is still cheaper with a P22. :D

(Staying On Topic - I really, really dislike the trigger on the Sigma... or just Sigma series in general).

People bash Kel Tec's repeatedly, but most that do don't have much on-hand experience with them. They're a great budget firearm.

:+1:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A PF9 and a Sigma arent really even comparable. They may be similar in price (the PF9 is actually quite a bit less normally) but they are not designed for the same use.

A PF9 is more comparable to a Diamonback DB9, LC9, or even guns like a j frame, LCR, etc. Small, light, pocket guns.

The Sigma is a full size gun. As far as the Sigma vs Glock, not a glock fan at all, but the Sigma trigger sucks. If you arent willing to do a litter fiddling with the trigger on a Sigma dont bother.

You need to figure out what you want to do with the gun before you narrow it down.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    i have owned a sigma 40. i never had a problem with it in about 400 rounds. i would say its a nicer gun than the keltec. the trigger is horrible though. but if you can get used to it(i did) its just fine.
    Now i have a glock 19. i sold the sigma to get the glock. and i am much happier with the glock. You will hear horror stories about the sigma but like i said mine worked fine and i carried it for my job so i trusted it.
    IMHO if you can afford the glock i would get it. but the sigma will work fine. and i think the keltec is around $260 and the sigma is about $350.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To me they are two totally different styles of guns. To start off I have nothing against either. They both have pros and cons, but in the end I personally think they both can serve a specific purpose well.

They both don't have the best triggers, but they can be dealt with. I own a couple KT firearms and have shot many more and my experience has been 100% positive with KelTec.

I have fired a few Sigma pistols and I don't think at all that it is a bad handgun. Again, not the best trigger, but that is really the only complaint I have about it.

The KT is more of a concealable handgun. It will not be as pleasant to shoot at the range for extended periods of time compared to the Sigma. Bottom line I think either would be okay for a budget gun, but the specific purpose of the gun would be the deciding factor for me between the two.

You also mentioned Glock... If it were between the Sigma and a Glock I would say Glock hands down. Or an XD or an M&P. Just my :twocents:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    A PF9 and a Sigma arent really even comparable. They may be similar in price (the PF9 is actually quite a bit less normally) but they are not designed for the same use.

A PF9 is more comparable to a Diamonback DB9, LC9, or even guns like a j frame, LCR, etc. Small, light, pocket guns.

The Sigma is a full size gun. As far as the Sigma vs Glock, not a glock fan at all, but the Sigma trigger sucks. If you arent willing to do a litter fiddling with the trigger on a Sigma dont bother.

You need to figure out what you want to do with the gun before you narrow it down.

This.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    To me they are two totally different styles of guns. To start off I have nothing against either. They both have pros and cons, but in the end I personally think they both can serve a specific purpose well.

They both don't have the best triggers, but they can be dealt with. I own a couple KT firearms and have shot many more and my experience has been 100% positive with KelTec.

I have fired a few Sigma pistols and I don't think at all that it is a bad handgun. Again, not the best trigger, but that is really the only complaint I have about it.

The KT is more of a concealable handgun. It will not be as pleasant to shoot at the range for extended periods of time compared to the Sigma. Bottom line I think either would be okay for a budget gun, but the specific purpose of the gun would be the deciding factor for me between the two.

You also mentioned Glock... If it were between the Sigma and a Glock I would say Glock hands down. Or an XD or an M&P. Just my :twocents:

I think both this guns can be used for CC.
    Even if the Sigma is more like a full size service pistol compared to the more compact Kel Tecs I see people who can conceal both without problem.
    I heard bad things about the Sigma trigger but I also hear that it's just a heavy trigger meant to be a safety.
    So is it bad because it's heavy (9 or 10 pounds I guess) or is it bad for other reasons?
    Most important I want to know if they are reliable.
    Can you get Glock reliability for half the price? :dunno:
    That's what makes me wonder.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Either of those guns are fine if you arent a "shooter".

If you are a "Gun carrier" they are fine guns.

After all, 99 percent of "Gun Carriers" will never fire their guns. 90% of them wont even carry them, and they will sit in the car, safe, desk etc.

So who cares if they are crap?

Go forth, spend money on junk, stick it down your pants and enjoy for a lifetime.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

After all, 99 percent of "Gun Carriers" will never fire their guns. 90% of them wont even carry them, and they will sit in the car, safe, desk etc.

Go forth, spend money on junk, stick it down your pants and enjoy for a lifetime.

I bet that will attract you a bunch of customers...:rolleyes:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Let the Keltec bashing begin..... I own a PF9 and I love it.... Great concealer, have a little over 200 rounds through it without a FTF or FTE..... For the price... it's hard to beat.... Great customer service..... If you buy it new then you have a lifetime warranty on it.... If you sell it to a second party the warranty is void but without a gun registry in Indiana I don't know how they would track who the original owner is anyway.... It does have quite the snap when firing but not overly abrasive when firing.....

Me too^^^^^

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I am a shooter, that's why I own guns ... to shoot them. :dunno:
    I must be part of the one percent that shoot and the 10 percent that carry.

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    i have had a sigma sw40ve for about four years now and after a quick diy trigger job my groupings at 25 yds are comparable to my springfield xdm 40.

Top Bottom