• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    Ok so i have a dilema here. My everyday carry is a glock 19 so im good there. I was getting ready to buy a RIA 1911 for the range, maybe a project. I've just always wanted one. Here's the problem, I just started working nights and my girlfrend who i live with is afraid to be alone at night. So instead of getting the ria im thinking im gonna get something I can keep at home incase she ever needs it. Taking into account that she has never shot a gun I'm looking for a .380. I'm not downing on women at all, its just that shes never shot a gun. I know theres women out there that can rock a .45 with the best of them.:D Im getting a new gun either way so its a win win for me. :rockwoot:I'm gonna start taking her to the range and im probably gonna have her start with a 22, which i already have.

With all that said what is a good, reliable .380(or even a 9mm) that can be had for around $400. She has small hands and she can barely rack the slide on my glock so I have to take that into account. I could have just looked online for one but I would like to hear some personal opinions on what you guys have actually owned or shot. I would also like it to be a good looking gun(I mean im giving up a 1911 for it lol). I like the walther pk380, so if anyone has one of those whats your opinion on it.
    Thanks

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If one of the main purposes of this weapon is for her to be able to use it then I would include her very much in the decision. Go together and handle as many as you can and if possible shoot some as well.

As far as the pk380 goes, I do not personally own one nut have shot one that another INGOer owns and I was very impressed with it.

I would personally suggest staying away from the pocket size pistols as they are not very pleasant to shoot and generally require a good deal of practice to be proficent with. Just my :twocents:

Also don't rule out the 9mm. The felt recoil is not too much different between the 9mm. and the .380. I know everyone is different and perceives recoil different, but I do not think most people would consider there to be much a a difference. The reason I would rather look into a 9mm. is common caliber for you since you already have a G19 and 9mm. ammo is cheaper (more range time for her) and very readily available.

If after the two of look into several different options and she finds she has a problem operating the action on a semiauto then maybe a revolver would be a good option. Something like a .38 spl. with a 4 inch barrel. Simple to operate, very reliable, and a nice shooter.

After all of this I would also suggest some training for her. Since you say she has never shot a gun, if she is going to have one around for defensive use she needs to have the right mindset to be able to actually use it.

Good luck with your decision.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    As far as the pk380 goes, I do not personally own one nut have shot one that another INGOer owns and I was very impressed with it.

Whose was that? :D

The Walther PK380 is very comfortable to shoot. It racks so smooth and very easy. Its my wife's CC and she loves it. Its small yet not a pocket gun.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I think you should take her shooting first, then see what she is comfortable shooting. Remember a revolver is easy to work, and 6 for sure beats fumbling for saftys, slide operation etc. My wife likes the Ruger LCR 38, but let her pick her own gun.
    Bill...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I carry the Glock 19. And my wife can shoot the hell out of it! So, I sold my only .45, and bought a S&W M&P9c. Which she can shoot the hell out of.

So, now I always have a 9mm in the house for my wife. IMO, the 9mm is a better idea. .380's are mostly Back Up Guns anyway. Not a MAIN defensive pistol.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Some women, my wife for example will go shooting with me and she is comfortable with her gun. But she is not sure she could shoot somebody ( I know her and know she would if it were life and death) but because she doesn't like the thought she won't carry a gun. However I bought her pepper spray and she will carry that because it is non lethal. Just a thought, get her good pepper spray and have enough left over for the RIA :)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Shotgun for home defense!!!!!
    And lots of trigger time.....practice, practice, practice!!!
    Maybe let her shoot a 410, then 20 ga, and if she can handle it, a 12 ga.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The RIA 1911 is going to be way easier for her to shoot than a snappy .380.

1911s are easily one of the easiest shooting designs out there.

That being said, take her shooting to see what she likes. Gun won't do her much good if she isn't comfortable with it.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011

That being said, take her shooting to see what she likes. Gun won't do her much good if she isn't comfortable with it.

I agree with this, a full size steel frame 1911 has (in my opinion) a softer recoil than any poly frame 9mm. If she doesn't like it, or just cant get past the idea of shooting a .45, try a CZ82. They can be had for around $200, shoot the 9mm makarov (9x18) round which is somewhere between .380 and 9mm (9x19, luger or parabellum). The 82 is tested and proven and ammo is $9 a box from Aim surplus.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Saiga 12 with 10 round Surefire mags.:D

Since she's never been around firearms, I would look into a Smith 60 or 66 or even 686. The heft of steel revolvers coupled with a easy recoiling round like the Federal 125gr nyclad makes for a good combo. I would avoid any airweight semi or revolver for a noob.:twocents:

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood

I agree with this mostly. 1911's are easy to shoot and easy to shoot accurately. That being said, they are heavy as all get out and if the OP's lady is barely able to rack the slide on a G19 will she be able to hold a 1911 steady? My vote is for a wheel gun (it hurt me to say that as I'm a firm believer in the auto pistol), but for her needs, it is the easiest to reload as there is no strength involved. I'd also like to +1 the group that is against a pocket 380 or any pocket gun. My wife's first CC was a Taurus PT709s and that thing kicked like a mule. We both didn't care for the gun and decided to sell it and got her a G19, she hasn't been happier! So yeah, my vote is for a 38 special and load it with 38 +P when it is sitting at the house. My :twocents:, YMMV

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You are getting some excellent advice from folks. DO take her shooting first and use that .22. Once she feels comfortable, take her up to a 9mm and see what she thinks. If she is OK, you might consider the RIA in 9mm, rather than .45. BTW, OK means she can rack the slide, feel she has control and is not dread the next shot.

However, most important, which ever way she feels the most comfortable, she should find the gun she is comfortable with. The RIA may feel too big in her hand. Whatever she picks it, she is vested in it.

If it does not work for her, and it is just for home defense, I'd say the next stop is a 20 gauge pump, open choke. The sound effect of a pump is worth one shot, for a start. If she is petite, she can fire a 20 from the hip as well as the shoulder. Please let us know how it goes.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

:+1: to this. Such soft recoil for something that looks like it'll kick like a mule.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    As far as the Walther pk380, my wife picked one up at the range and loved it (she's buying one tomorrow), but she held it, and fired it without expectations, or my opinionated guidance. She approached me about getting one, not the other way around. And yes I'm psyched about adding one for the safe. My thought is, buy as many diferent guns as possible, then let her chose from the your collection :)

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My sister was one of those women who wanted a gun, then when her husband bought one for her, she realized what it was used for and she just doesn't have the heart to use it on another human being. If she doesn't have the will to use it on another person, there's no point in buying it for her. You can always get her a non-lethal tool for self defense, such as pepper spray or a stun gun.

(My advice) Since she's never shot a gun before, you need to take her shooting first! She will need to hear the sound that a gun makes, without muffs before being able to use it at home. She needs to know what the sound and percussion of the round is like and what to expect. I'm not saying blow her ear drums out with a mag dump, but one shot without hearing protection puts your mind in a different state and she needs to know that. If the sound alone scares the hell out of her, then a gun probably isn't her cup of tea considering things will be much worse after using it on a person. Lets hope it never comes to that, but that's why you're here right?

If she thinks she'd like a gun after your range trip, let her go with you to pick it out. It needs to be comfortable for her. Your opinion doesn't matter in this situation. You know what a reliable gun is so let her pick some out and just tell her which is more reliable and which you think would be best. She'll take your opinion into consideration when choosing. I also suggest letting her shoot a 20 gauge shotgun or even a .410. Shotguns are much more effective for home defense than a handgun. You don't have to be such a great shot when you have multiple projectiles compared to a single projectile. :twocents:

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    ok, im gonna try to answer/comment on all replies. The only reason i asked about the pk380 is because she likes the look of it and its a single stack. i think the glock 19 too thick for her hand.
    I have a rem 870 with 18 inch barrel and 2 shot ext but i think 12 ga. will be too much for her. and thats the only shotgun i have. its my self defense gun for home.
    I totally agree with the revolver being 100% reliable and simple, but she doesnt like them and im not a big fan either. i used to have a taurus 650 snubby and loved it. shouldnt have got rid of it. i used to have a sigma 40 and the recoil was more on the 40. i know thats kinda contradictory but i just dont like them.
    its a great idea to have another 9mm. it does make sense to have the same ammo. im just not too familiar with the single stack nines out there. she likes the look of the beretta px4 storm? i think thats it but its a double stack if im not mistaken. does anyone know the price of a ruger lc9? thats a good option too.
    now she has been out shooting with me but i wasnt shooting anything that i thought was a good idea for her to start on. as a matter of fact i was shooting the sigma 40. so she has heard a gun without muffs and she has heard a shotgun without muffs also.
    i do like the idea of the cz but i dont think ive seen one where i shop(bradis/plainfield) but then again i wasnt looking.
    sorry to drag on like i have. thanks for all the posts. i may take her soon to do some shopping that i may actaully like lol.
    oh i forgot something i already got her some pepper spray to carry and i just dont trust it, and i have been hit with a stun gun and its bearable. i dont know if it would stop someone with intent. my glock is always at reach and she knows that. i dont know how she will feel actually being the one behind the gun so we will see.
    so for now i got some teaching, training, and shopping to do. ill keep you guys posted

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Single stack 9's I'd have to plug a Sig P6... Can be had for a shade over $300, maybe $350.
    Downside (to me) is a horrible DA trigger pull, long and heavy. It can be fixed with a little work and spring swaps, I just haven't done it yet.

.380 I'll plug a Bersa Thunder 380, has the Walther PPK design, steel frame, can be had for around $300-ish also if you know where to look. My dad just bought my little sis one and she digs it, and shoots it pretty darned well from the looks of the target they brought home...

Know nothing about the PK380 as I haven't got into plastic guns yet... My time will come, just not now...

Top Bottom