• ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Hi guys,

I'm planning my purchase of a handgun. It's a lot of money to drop on one item, so... I'm doing my planning :p

I want to start with something in 22lr because I haven't owned a handgun (except CO2 powered ones and they don't count) before and want to work my way up.

I have always been in love with the '1911 and even had a blank firer at one point - as well as a gas powered one too. I am tempted to buy a GSG-1911 in 22LR, but my brother in law said why get a 22lr handgun that looks like a 1911, when you can have a 45. I can see his point but the GSG-1911 will be a LOT of CHEAP fun.

I also wondered about getting a 45 1911 and then a 22LR barrel - then I have both choices.

What are you guys's thoughts on this - or is this asking which is better for an air rifle - 177 or 22 :p

David

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Buy the .22...shoot it a ton. If you plan to carry a .45 then carry the .22 just as you would the 45. Then if you don't like the size or weight or whatever you'll know not to drop big $$ on a .45

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hi guys,

I'm planning my purchase of a handgun. It's a lot of money to drop on one item, so... I'm doing my planning :p

I want to start with something in 22lr because I haven't owned a handgun (except CO2 powered ones and they don't count) before and want to work my way up.

I have always been in love with the '1911 and even had a blank firer at one point - as well as a gas powered one too. I am tempted to buy a GSG-1911 in 22LR, but my brother in law said why get a 22lr handgun that looks like a 1911, when you can have a 45. I can see his point but the GSG-1911 will be a LOT of CHEAP fun.

I also wondered about getting a 45 1911 and then a 22LR barrel - then I have both choices.

What are you guys's thoughts on this - or is this asking which is better for an air rifle - 177 or 22 :p

David

I have been thinking a lot about buying an MP 22lr, but after shooting the rental Ruger MKIII with my wife on Saturday night......I am leaning toward buying a Ruger myself. you can simply drive tacks with those Rugers. They are extremely accurate.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I have revolvers and autos 1n 22lr and they are a ton of fun.............I was lucky enough to pick up a Browning Camper at Cabela's for $150 used........it is great. I believe there is a gun show this weekend in valpo.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of conversion kits. For what they cost you can either pay for a new 22lr pistol, or be close enough that it's a non issue. Just go buy the gsg 1911 22lr and be done with it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i would get a kit....then you practice with your 45 trigger.....any of the 1911 22's i have shot has had a terrible trigger....:twocents:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Hmm, thanks guys.

Seems like its a 50/50 split between getting a 22lr pistol, and getting a 1911 with a 22 barrel etc.

Concealing a 1911 would be tough, and I don't plan on OC'ing (yet).

Money is a real problem at the moment so I can't justify dropping half a K on a handgun (even though I'd love to, the wife would have my balls).

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I own both conversions as well as dedicated guns, both serve a purpose. The conversions allow cheap practice with the full size caliber gun but the dedicated guns are much more accurate. Unless you are willing to spring for something like the Kart style conversion for 1911 you would see much better accuracy from a Browning Buckmark or Ruger.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two options I'd suggest. The Ruger Single Six is a lot of fun to shoot and comes with a .22 magnum cylinder. Or the Ruger 22/45 it has the same grip and feel to your hand as a 1911. Plus you can get them already threaded for a suppressor if you choose!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    All of the above good choices. If starting from scratch, i'd probably get a dedicated .22 and shoot the **** out of it, as one previous poster said. Cheaper, and nothing beats cheap fun practice.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I was kinda in the same boat as you. I chose the GSG 1911 ad ops. I have already sent several boxes of bulk ammo down range. I figured if I could get good allowing me to work on the fundementals. I ve always been a rifle shooter. (pistol is a new ballgame for me) And I know if I get the .45 then there is the reloading equipment that will go with it. What ever you chose remeber you have to have fun with it. Its no fun having a safe queen when you wanted something to shoot and you cant afford it.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I had a lot of fun shooting a 22/45 (Davegrave's) at the last NWI INGO Meet. That's fairly cheap, and is within my price range.

I wouldn't plan on CC'ing it, but a GSG-1911 looks very appealing to me - cheap to buy, cheap to run, looks like a 1911 and is fun.

Well, I think I've probably made up my mind... ;) Something in 22LR and something that either feels or looks like a 1911.

Top Bottom